General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Sturgis Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:33 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Find a place to stay. Make reservations. Do this NOW! Getting a hotel room anywhere near Sturgis at this (curiously) late date, may be difficult if not impossible. If you are camping, you may have a bit more time if you're flexible, but my recommendation would essentially be the same. I've been several times and have always riden to and from Stugis and I've always camped at a private (and relatively quiet) campground outside of Deadwood.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 01-21-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:35 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 529 Likes on 290 Posts

So true Larry! I've had many say they're going in January only to bail come July. FLSTFI Dave hit the nail on the head, all of these rides are a must in the area. Plan ahead for reservations whether you are camping or staying in a motel. I've done both, each being an enjoyable experience.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:56 AM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

We booked in a campground yesterday called no Rushmore. It's three miles outside Sturgis. We planned for a ten day trip. Most of us are riding out of Myrtle Beach SC which is about 1850 miles. We're planning on at least three days there and back. We also are talking about visiting Yellowstone which I believe is about six hours. Talked about this for years so should be a great time. Thanks for the replies

Old 01-21-2018, 09:20 AM
SSpeeDEMONSS
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I’m also planning to go for my first time this year. I was talking to a guy at the bar about it last week and he recommended Hog Heaven so I’m going to look into that. I figure for 3 Days ride there and back. Most likely will be going by myself. It’s going to be a crazy time to leave work for 2 weeks but I’m going to do it no matter what.

Garrett

Old 01-21-2018, 12:11 PM
victory11
Road Warrior
Received 700 Likes on 399 Posts

We go in Sept. There is no traffic, no lodging difficulties, and the weather is cooler. The riding is spectacular and at our age we appreciate not contending with too many riders when we're out. I know some will say we miss so much. But it's just another way of enjoying the hills.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:41 PM
leachman
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

I did the trip back in 2012 with two other friends from CT and we did it in three and half days which included coming into sturgis via The Badlands. What I can tell you is if you ride as we did be prepared for the cross winds coming across the plains...On the third day we had 40 mph winds that took our baggers and leaned them over....felt like I was riding a snowmobile down the highway. We camped at a new place at the time that had its own bar/restaurant which was nice if you wanted to just hang out at end of you riding day. We did all the hot spots like MT Washington and Crazy Horse, needles highway as well as devils tower, deadwood. Now downtown is another story. Be prepared to ride in slow traffic....All in all there is so much riding to do that you will never cover the same roads everyday...so much to experience. Good luck and have fun.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:48 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by SSpeeDEMONSS
I was talking to a guy at the bar about it last week and he recommended Hog Heaven so I’m going to look into that.
I stayed there in ‘07. Was in a motorhome so I can't comment on the tent area and bathrooms, but it was a great place to stay. Had vendors and bars and tattooers right on site at Hog Heaven too. Only did the downtown scene one day, the rest was all about riding and seeing other areas like devils tower, hulett, spearfish canyon, etc. Seemed like every night we somehow wound up in deadwood...felt like every road led us there

Old 01-21-2018, 02:03 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

If you're not choosy, you can sleep in someone's yard a block away from the downtown action (for a small fee) like I did this past year. If that doesn't look comfy or warm enough (high 30s for the lows at night) you better find a place to stay and nail it down quick. Break out that wallet because everything is expensive at any rally, especially Sturgis.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 01-21-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:14 PM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

don't be surprised if they drop the speed limit on the interstate down to 55 all the way to rapid and if ye don't put both feet down at a stop sign you'll get a ticket and searched

Old 01-21-2018, 02:15 PM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

55 is the speed limit on the interstate and both feet down at a stop sign or get searched

Quick Reply: First Sturgis Trip