General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello! I'm new, been out of riding for about 10 years and want a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:46 AM
Snakedoctor
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hello! I'm new, been out of riding for about 10 years and want a Harley

This may have been more appropriate in the new members forum, so I apologize in advance if I'm mistaken.

I'm 48. Rode sportbikes in the mid-late 80's to about 1995, then had a son and gave it up. Started on an RZ350, then progressed through a 750 Ninja, the first ZX7 in Canada, GSXR 750, and finally a used GS1150. I started working and made money and bought a Porsche 911, which I could drive all year. In 2001 and I bought a Honda 954 Fireblade, which I hated and traded within a couple months for a GSXR 1000, which I rode for a couple years and then bought another Porsche and gave it up. Fast forward to now, I had a Porsche Spyder and Macan for summer and winter. I just bought a Denali pickup truck and find it so much more useful and very pleasant to drive that I've sold both Porsches (Porsche makes a nice car, but they are expensive, even the cheap ones). The Denali is great and I can buy 6 of them for the cost of those to Porsches, but it's not going to be "fun" in the summer and I thought of another bike. All the fun of a convertible sports car, most of the practicality, and a small fraction of the cost.

Sportbikes are what I knew and where my frame of references are, unfortunately, my 48-year-old body isn't what it was at 19. My knees are bad (congenital and accidents), my back and shoulders aren't great either. So there goes the sportbike. I've been looking at everything for about 6 months, and in the last month looking intensely. I've looked at Harley, Indian, Ducati, BMW. I haven't seen Triumph yet, but will next week. I was immediately attracted to the Indian Scout Bobber, until I sat on it. I really didn't like anything from Harley in pictures, but I wanted to. 2 weeks ago I went to see the Indian and there's a Harley dealer nearby, so I decided I should look at both, due diligence and all. I spent 2 hours in the Harley dealer, feeling like a kid in a toy store near Christmas. I liked a lot of bikes there. They didn't look like their pictures at all, or maybe the pictures didn't feel like the bike did in person. I can't really explain it.
I spent 10 minutes in the Indian dealer and my back was sore from the Scout Bobber after sitting on it for a few minutes. I still like the look, but if it hurts me in the showroom...

I've been obsessed with numbers and my old preconceived notions. I really didn't want to consider a bike with only one front disc (it was a big downcheck on the Indian). I looked down at the HD HP numbers and the weight. The costs on most of what I was interested in were in line with others, so that was nice. Keyless start seems trivial, but I just love the thought of it. My cars have had it for years, but the Denali has a key and a fob. It's archaic and annoying. Just walk up to the bike and start, damn that's cool.

I really liked the dealership (in Barrie, Ontario). The salesman that approached me was older, knew what he was talking about and was extremely patient and informative. I ended up leaving wanting to buy from that dealership. My 18yr old son was with me and he was impressed with the dealer and totally unimpressed with the Indian dealer by comparison. The salesman directed me to the Fat Bob based on my history and fit after sitting on various bikes. I like the look of the Fat Bob, it's mean. It sort of reminds me of a Vmax from the 80's, but with none of the things I hate about the VMax look. Don't take that comment badly, people relate based on what they know and their experiences and those are mine.

I looked up the HP, weight and torque numbers of my old 80's bikes. the GS1150 being probably the bike from my past I would want to ride now. 525 pounds, 125HP. That's in Fat Bob territory, not exact and they're not the same but it's winter here so all I can do is relate things to my experiences for now. I think the Fat Bob would be a good bike for me. It appears to tick all the boxes I need and want, except price - it's expensive for a kind of bike I've never ridden and may not like. My wife says it's cheaper than those stupid cars you had, so get it! She figures if I have a bike, I won't be tempted to buy another car. If I did, she might kill me, so riding is safer!

There is SO much controversy over HD. I went back yesterday sat on a bunch and was just about ready to drop a deposit on the Fat Bob. The bike show is next week, so I held off, and read and watched more videos last night. One thread on this site lamenting the decline of HD really got me second guessing. Comments of "why buy old, outdated, underpowered, overweight bikes at higher prices when better is available" "HD is the outlaw image bike" "quality sucks" are making me think twice.

I really don't want a Japanese bike. A friend is recommending the Yamaha FZ10, and it looks interesting but doesn't stir any emotions. It does check off boxes (similar to what I'm used to, powerful, price is right), but I just don't see myself on it.

I live on a boat most of the summer in a marina. I see myself using the bike to travel around town. Restaurants, groceries, and some back road pleasure riding. I particularly like the idea of a leisurely cruise with a cigar (I'm buying a half helmet just so I can I may do a few highways trips of an hour, maybe 2 (although I doubt it), at least this year. Maybe in a few more years, I'll tour more. This is just for fun, to get my top down, sporty fix.

So, I want to want the Fat Bob. The dealer is halfway between my home and boat and seems good. The bike looks pretty easy to work on should I need it (the boat I'm on has Detroit Diesel 8v92's, and while some may hate them, I love them. So simple. Easy to maintain and work on. No wires, computers, nothing.) While the HD isn't quite that simple I can still maintain it locally or even myself if I have to. Looking at some of the Ducati's, I don't think I could change the oil!

For the people thinking that HD is dying, or they're not doing the right thing, I'm not sure. I'm new, didn't like HD and had no desire for them. The bikes stirred something in me in person, and the dealership had me drinking the kook-aid easily. I just liked what he said and what this all represented. Maybe I'm the "new" blood they want. I know that I shouldn't care about being the fastest or needing to beat the other guy. I know that I won't likely race "the other guy" even if I can. I just don't want to feel like my bike is lacking in power anywhere. I don't want a mustang pulling me off the line if I know I can't beat him. I know that sounds immature.

You've made it this far in my extra long post, so thank you for your time. If you've anything to offer to help me make the decision I already know I want to make, I'm eager to hear it. It's just been so long, and I don't want to make a mistake.

I also looked at the Roadster. Salesman says it will outperform the Fat Bob. I like it, but it doesn't quite move me the same way. It is half the price though.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:54 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

I came from a crotch rocket and the dealer in Barrie is where I bought my road king. Great people there and Im thrilled with having a modern Harley and an older one to scratch different itches. I don't agree with Harley doing the wrong thing really, the entire bike market is declining with lots of speculation why but that doesn't matter to me. Harley makes a specific type of bike that appeals to some and not others. My interest isn't on a decline, its the opposite in fact. Test ride a bunch and see how you feel and ignore the speculation about Harley's life expectancy, they'll be around longer than me im sure.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:40 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

Wow you really take the long way around a story glad you have all that stuff that makes no difference to me but buying a bike is like buying anything else you will know it when you see it so if you saw something out liked buy it. Nobody on this sight is going to tell you to buy anything but a harley now I'm not going to go on and on about what I've road over the last 25 year I ride harley and they aren't going anywhere any time soon

Old 02-10-2018, 12:47 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

Harley's are like hookers. When you see what you want you put your money down. Simple. As far as the Mustang, unless your on a drag strip there is no mustang that is going to beat you off the line if you have your engine started and your transmission in gear. It sounds like you have already made up your mind...What do you need us for?
If you want some weight to HP look at the Triumph Triple S 148 hp/483 lbs out the door.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:51 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

I am 49, my history is like yours...sport bikes...ducatis....buell lightning....cafe racers. This is the first harley ive had. If you could afford it, get a Ducati S4R....an older one but in really good shape like a 2008. Get one with the pipes on it already cause youll want them once you get it and thier expensive. To me those bikes are frikkin awesome for around the town/canyon roads. I got the harley mainly because im married and my wife wants to ride with me. They are a slow cumbersome beast but you cant beat the comfort and the comfort for your passenger. If i was single, i would sell it and get a ducati. If i could afford both a harley and a ducati i would, but i cant.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

“If you've anything to offer to help me make the decision I already know I want to make, I'm eager to hear it.”

You’ve posted enough fluff to basically sum up that in your life, you’ve bought what you wanted and kept what you enjoy. Why stress so much over a motorcycle?? Buy what you want. If you don’t enjoy it, get rid of it and get something else.

The following users liked this post:
SPRINGER (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 01:29 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,849 Likes on 900 Posts

I wouldn’t even begin to suggest which bike you should purchase. You do sound like you’ve got to make it a Harley, and I get that. I was out of riding a long time. When I returned I KNEW what I wanted. I never even considered another make. I bought, and I did not survey the forums, the bars or the stock market. You sound like a fairly secure and savvy guy just looking for our thoughts. I personally would advise you to do your homework, but I’m not a big fan of doing that on social sites. Make your choice and be confident.

Cygnusx51 (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 01:31 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

No offense but your post is too damn long winded for me. My simple advice would be to go to the dealership, test ride every bike that you like and buy the one that feels and handles the best to you.

Cygnusx51 (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

You don't have to buy new either- get the bike that you want, ride it awhile, and see if that's the style for your use.

http://www.autotrader.ca/motorcycles...ll/on/toronto/

Old 02-10-2018, 01:34 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Congratulations, that's the longest first post I've ever seen on any forum.

The following 4 users liked this post by Rick58:
BeardedandBald (06-11-2021), Cygnusx51 (02-10-2018), Jay_FLHXS (03-24-2018), Tell (03-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Hello! I'm new, been out of riding for about 10 years and want a Harley