General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just paid off my bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 01:35 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
I'm by no means a rich man, but I've been riding since the mid-60's and have never had payments on any bike I've ever owned (and that's over 30 of them). I just bought what I could afford to pay cash for........then saved up until I had enough money to trade in my bike and pay cash for the difference between the old and new one, usually with my income tax refund. I constantly upgraded. Same thing with my cars.I paid cash for every one, or I didn't buy it. My wife (then my fiance) and I saved for a few years, and pooled our money, and paid cash for our house. Other than my utility bills, I've never had a monthly payment for anything.

I know it doesn't work for everyone, and I'm not bashing you guys with loans, but my daddy always told me............."Son, if you have to borrow money to buy it, then you can't afford it." <--------That's served me well my entire life.
I agree 100%, I paid cash for all my house and my toys. I paid cash for my 17 4Runner LTD, 2014 ultra Classic, 2012 Road King (not all at the same time) and finally the best bike Harley makes AFAIC (not wealthy, but comfortable)

I took a 1.99% 36 month loan on the Spider 124. That's nearly a grand a month but it's free money. The interest rate was too low to pay cash. THe car is going to be my "trike"

My father said "BE an interest collector, not payer" and it has served us well.

Don't buy into the " You can always die tomorrow rationalization.....because few do and they have payments waaaaaay out into the future....Not good. CAr (and bike) dealers are hurting themselves with those 84 month payments. The buyer is ALWAYS way upside down.
If its gonna take over 36 months to pay off, I cannot afford it

The 124 is my "Trike" I would never buy a trike. The physics are just not there. I don't consider a trike an alternative to riding. Just add an extra wheel and enjoy the sun in a roadster!!!

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (02-25-2018)