General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future of Harley is electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 06:59 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

No it is not! Great for in town riding and would make a great bike at the drag strip.

All the elements on the periodic chart and their reactions with each other are known. There is no magic long life battery on the horizon. Touring with an electric bike would be impossible.

The only possible way is the building into every highway in the US a system to charge the battery by induction while riding over it. Cost of doing that is beyond any nation.

It is a dream of the far left for everything to be electric. Can't be done. There would have to be charging stations everywhere with a supply of vehicles already charged. Look how that worked for the cities that tried loaner bicycles.

Last edited by lh4x4; 02-24-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:11 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

The elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about is: where is all the extra electric capacity going to come from to recharge millions or electric vehicles? We are already importing electricity form Canada because the environmentalists and the NIMBYs won't allow a power plant to be built anywhere in the US. Our power generating and distribution system is archaic and already straining at the seams to meet the demand today.

Besides, there seems to be the notion here that electricity is free, and free from environmental concerns. I know, you just plug the cord into the socket and electricity magically happens.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:47 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

My town just decided to deliver electric that 10% comes from “green”

My bill is up 60 bucks now from last year over the mast several months.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:12 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
No it is not! Great for in town riding and would make a great bike at the drag strip.

All the elements on the periodic chart and their reactions with each other are known. There is no magic long life battery on the horizon. Touring with an electric bike would be impossible.

The only possible way is the building into every highway in the US a system to charge the battery by induction while riding over it. Cost of doing that is beyond any nation.

It is a dream of the far left for everything to be electric. Can't be done. There would have to be charging stations everywhere with a supply of vehicles already charged. Look how that worked for the cities that tried loaner bicycles.
Au contraire, as the Bard wrote, there are more things in heaven and earth yadda, yadda. Before you flame me, note I have 5 motorcycles, a car and a pickup truck, all powered by fossil fuels.

The laws of Physics (and Economics!) will win every time. There aren't any new battery technologies ready for commercialization right now-any number are on the horizon, but useful battery life (i.e. the ability to store charge to achieve a "useful" range) is already on a par with ICE, so sorry. And there are a gazillion charging stations available right now-they're called electrical outlets, and they come in 120 and 240V flavors in just about any home, not to mention the ChaDemos, Tesla Superchargers, CCS stations, and whatever others are out there-there will be more. And for those with the ability to mount solar panels, why, they can reduce their dependence on the grid, contributing to decentralization of energy generation and energy independence-the Left's nightmare!

Granted, my travels take me to relatively affluent areas, but I see EV's on a daily basis, pure EV's like Leafs, Bolt, and many Tesla S and X's, not to mention the ever growing assortment of hybrids, more and more all the time. It's here and it's in our face. Think of flat screen displays and smartphones-yes, the adoption of EVs will happen that quickly. IMHO, in 10 years, one will be hard pressed to fined a personal purely ICE vehicle on a public road-that includes bikes.

And, barring any governmental ban on ICEs, those us who don't mind periodic visits to stinky fossil fuel stations, messy oil changes, spewing deadly pollutants into the air we all breathe, and dealing with the repairs on the 200+ breakable parts on our prime movers will still get to enjoy our rolling dinosaurs. Time will tell.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:43 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 902 Posts

I guess my life's reality has been that naysayers are as old as mankind and so is technological progress. Look at what's happened with technology in the last 40 years and realize that's the blink of an eye. Today's reality lasts only until tomorrow's arrives. Saying it won't happen won't stop it from happening.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:53 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I tour extensively with many 800 miles days. There is no battery system self contained and within reasonable size and weight that could take me to Laughlin River Run in three days then back in three days in an electric motorcycle. Maybe if I pulled a 500 lb trailer full of batteries.

Again the government and private scientist working at the facility where the atomic bomb was developed have been working a couple of years now and are getting nowhere in coming up with the magic high yield battery with a long life.

Coal and oil have the one thing electricity will never have and that is the huge advantage of storage. Harder than hell to store a huge amount of electricity.

There is no charging system to even accomplish a 30 minute recharge at every 150 mile stop.

I have had 5 Hybrid cars in the past decade and although I have gotten as high as 62 mpg on a trip they have Never given back the return on investment as I trade every two years.

I had a Prius II, Prius C, Prius V, Avalon Limited Hybrid and currently a Sonata SE Hybrid. Had I chosen to have the same models but without the Hybrid system my total cost per year would have been less. l only run them because I like big mpg numbers. It's a hobby with me. The best large car is the Sonata at 54 mpg. Its competitor the Avalon got 42 mpg. Really trying with the Prius C got 74 mpg.

I went to H-D after retiring because of mpg. All the touring metrics that I had would only give 32 to 38 mpg. I get 50 mpg on all the H-D's with some going higher. Even the 120 yields 50 mpg.

The only charging station within a 100 mile radius of where I live is a the Airport and I have never seen a EV there. There was a news article that they get vandalized from time to time.

Last edited by lh4x4; 02-25-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:49 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

When E=MCsquared chumps ICE eventually loses.
Either get with it or get out of the way, or just yap yap yap about it till you're done yapping .

Old 02-25-2018, 03:45 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Electric vehicles, like solar panel and pinwheel generators, are not viable. These systems lack a critical small volume mega capacity storage component, the likes of which is currently beyond the reaches of remote technical plausibility.

The obscene amounts of money required to "push through" these immature, incomplete, non-viable technologies is being supplied by Government, (YOU). Without it, ($$$$), these electric semi-technologies would simply die. When there is huge government subsidy for electric motorcycles, there will be electric motorcycles. While there isn't, there won't. The only real game changer will be the invention of some, heretofore beyond imagining, small volume, mega capacity, storage device for electricity.

Elon Musk is a conman.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:09 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Isn't he the guy that gave away millions of dollars worth of patents and a revenue stream of future billions , who is the con man here ?

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:02 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23

Elon Musk is a conman.
TSLA stock been Very, Very good to me....

Some "con man" http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/06/tech...bar/index.html

Maybe in the manner of D.D. Harriman (Google him)!

YMMV

Last edited by shorelasHD; 02-25-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Future of Harley is electric