General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you replace your tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When do you replace your tires?

I've got 6500 miles on both the front and the rear - Do I go by tread depth?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:47 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Default RE: When do you replace your tires?

per the owners manual and service manual, yes, you go by tread depth. There is some sort of indicator on the tire as well. The manuals show you what that looks like.

I am coming up on 12k miles on my stocks. It seems people range from 10k to 15k on their stocks. Bike type, riding style, rider weight, etc, will determine how long your tires will last.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

Hmmmmm.......owners manual.......

Wish I had got one when purchasing the used bike.

Does the old addage of the penny and Lincoln's head still apply? I think it is 2/32 = Lincoln's head right?

I know car tires should be changed at 2/32 but does that apply to motorcycle tires as well?

Also, what kind of tires do you prefer? Dunlops or Metzelers? (I prob misspelled that...)

Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 AM
WGRIDER
Ultimate HDF Member

I just had mine replaced at 10,000 miles as per wear indcator.
I run dunlops on a WG

Old 06-20-2007, 11:27 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess it depends on what type of rider you are. But to me the threads help hold you on a curve and on the rainy road.
Man Please It was all I could do to git 5000 miles out of a K591 dunlop on back of my wide glide, got about 8000 on the front and its lookin slim. I ride hard so when the threads git low, I'm changing. I'd hate to lay the scoot down at 70 in a sharp curve.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:34 AM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Please explain the penny and Lincolns head idea.

Thanks

Old 06-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

I should have changed the Low Riders back tire at 6000 or so but pushed it to 7000. It's all about your riding style as to how long the back one lasts. Front tire seems to last well over 10,000 miles, but this seems to be more dependent on the types of roads you ride on than your riding style.For sure you want to watch the thread depth if you ride in the rain. When your tread is worn down to the level of the built-in tread wear bars on your tires, the tread won't provide good traction.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, yes. The old addage does apply to motorcycle tires as well.

csbreeze- The penny and Lincoln's head is a quick way to determine tread depth since the distance between the edge of the penny and the top of Lincoln's head is the same distance. I forget the actual measurement, but 2/16s sound about right.

Just for shared information, I changed my stock rear tire with 19,600 miles on the odometer. Unfortunately, most of those miles were from commuting to work instead of pleasure rides, but hey. I'm still running the stock front tire with plenty of tread left and I'm now at 23,500 miles.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Drtbag
Tourer

Tread depth is all well and good if your tires are not old. I won't hang onto a set of tires no matter how good the depth is if there older than 4 years. (although I'm lucky to get a year and half out of a set.)
The rubber will dry out and can crack from heating, cooling and age.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:02 PM
mark1957222
Tourer

Check your Tires
a few easy steps

by Rick Smith

With driving safety depending on the condition of your tires, you'd have every reason to invest in a fancy tire gauge. But, look in your pocket - you might already have the tire gauge you need.
Got a Lincoln penny? Chances are you do, since the U.S. Mint has been cranking these out since 1909. Because a simple Lincoln head penny is the perfect size, using one will make it easy to determine when to buy new tires.
It only takes a few steps to check your tire depth:
[*]Pinch a Lincoln-head penny, from the base, between your thumb and forefinger, so that the top of Lincoln's head and the words "In God We Trust" are showing.
[*]Place the top of Lincoln's head into one of the tire tread grooves -- try to measure in the lowest point within the tread.

[*]If any part of Lincoln's head is obscured by the tread, you're all set -- you have a legal and safe amount of tread. However, if you can see above Lincoln's head or any of the "In God We Trust" letters above his head, then you are ready for a new tire.
[*]Check your tires in several tread locations. Be sure to check both inner, outer and middle grooves of each tire, because tires can wear differently on each side, due to improper wheel alignment and/or low inflation.
This penny trick works because the distance between the rim and Lincoln's head is 1/16 of an inch -- the minimum required tread depth. When your tire tread is lower than 1/16 of an inch, your vehicle can have handling problems in adverse conditions (rain, sleet, snow). In short, bald tires are dangerous and could even get you a ticket in some states.

Quick Reply: When do you replace your tires?