General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do People Care???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:07 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
The "which bike should I buy?" threads always make me scratch my head.
Me too. I understand why some want approval of their bike from their peers but asking complete strangers what bike to get? I don't what their preferences are, their financial situation, if they're tall or short, the riding habits or experience. So I usually tell them to test ride them and decide for themselves. They might as well ask what they should wear or eat for lunch.

The following users liked this post:
Redoilokie (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:13 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Helps me with other opinions too also helps to rate what other have done and hour worked out for them.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:22 AM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Me too. I understand why some want approval of their bike from their peers but asking complete strangers what bike to get? I don't what their preferences are, their financial situation, if they're tall or short, the riding habits or experience. So I usually tell them to test ride them and decide for themselves. They might as well ask what they should wear or eat for lunch.
I guess I need to stop asking people what is good to eat at a restaurant that I've never been to before. All of those times somebody's told me, "the wings suck, get the burger" were really just useless tips. Learn something new everyday.

Some of you guys should lighten up. If somebody wants to know, "should I add highway pegs," would it really kill you to say "yes, I added them and it did X for my ride" or "no, I don't think they were worth the money I spent on them and they detract from the appearance of the bike?" Or somebody coming on here having no clue about HD other than the fact that they think they want one... would it really hurt to recommend a bike to use as a starting point to start looking?

I was driving home from snowmobiling with my friend yesterday. About a 5 hour drive. A good chunk of that was discussing which sled he wants to buy next. We talked about different models, different brands, ups and downs of each, trying to figure out what he would want the most. I thought of certain points that he didnt think of, and he thought of certain points I didnt think of. It doesn't hurt to bounce ideas off of other people, but I guess in that situation some of you guys would have told him "I dont know bud, I dont care what you do...I cant make your decisions for you. Good luck."

Give me a break.

Bonnie Storm (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:24 AM
67drake
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A friend was asking me last week if his next bike should be a Harley or if he should go Indian. Why ask me? It’s your bike!

Old 03-12-2018, 09:25 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,211 Likes on 11,120 Posts

Good thing adults never tell the truth about what they think of other motorcycles.
We would never see the end of the bickering and fighting.
Just lie and tell everyone their bike is awesome.
Like this handsome example, just say, "looks great".

Old 03-12-2018, 09:26 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't know but maybe they just want to talk/write about something. I could ask you the same question, "Why do you care" that they ask such questions? Personally, I sometimes wonder too; and, sometimes I wonder why the heck I post answers to things that are just a matter of opinion and my opinion is really not important or necessary--but, they did ask. I gotta stop doing it; after this post, I will try. I never go to the off topic places, lol.

fireman64 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:43 AM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

What bike you should get vs what mod to do, at least when you're new to Harleys, is a bit different. There could be a big difference between models that you don't know about and it's nice to double check before dropping $15,000+. Modifications are all personal taste to address something you want different, but sometimes there is something that would work better that you don't know about either.

As far as asking about the modifications first, I think Hey_Man hit the nail on the head. A lot of people don't know what they want or can't figure out what changes to do to get the look they want, so they need someone to bounce ideas off of. And some people want to change things up but have no taste and don't want to do something they're going to keep hearing about.

Hey Man (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:49 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Used to be that folks who rode Harleys were generally men or women of action who couldn't give a red rip what others thought. And they wouldn't ask opinions of complete strangers.

My. How things have changed. And not necessarily for the better.

geezer glide 56 (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 10:20 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,211 Likes on 11,120 Posts

I do have a comeback for anyone who criticizes your taste in bikes and mods.
"I don't recall asking you for an opinion of my motorcycle".

The following 2 users liked this post by upflying:
Bone Doc (03-12-2018), Veekness (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 10:24 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Personally - I dont care what anyone thinks of my bike or my mods... It makes me happy. There are certain instances where bike purchase advise is needed but what should I buy? - I feel like saying you should buy me another one..

To answer the question - I dont care. lol..

Veekness (03-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Why do People Care???