General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding clubs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 12:18 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Riding clubs?

I use to belong to local motorcycle clubs. When I had a Ducati I rode around with a Ducati club. When I rode a sport bike I rode with local sport bike club. I am 50 years old and stopped doing that about 5 years ago. Reason was the other riders were mostly younger and stupid. Did dangerous things and it wound up being a “who could go fastest” contest. I do miss riding with a group sometimes and more just hanging out with guys talking about bikes. My question to those that are in now, or previously were in a Harley group or show up to gatherings what is it like for the cruiser crowd? There is a local chapter that gathers at the Harley dealership but it just seems like it would be like the movie wild hogs.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:10 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

See if you can find a local chapter of the "Black Widow's m/c" .

Last edited by LoneWoolf; 04-11-2018 at 03:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hasher (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 03:23 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

What exactly is it that you're looking for in a club, group, chapter? Identify your interests and let that determine your direction. What you seek may not exist where you are.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:31 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Why don't you just join a local HOG chapter? Or better yet spend time supporting the PGR. Crowds or groups for that matter are not my thing so this is about as much help as I can be. Good luck.

Firenailer (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 05:11 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 402 Likes on 286 Posts

I belong to my local HOG chapter, and also to a riding club, the LoneRiders, a 501C club that raises money for Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital and Ronald McDonald House. We are not model specific, and are just a bunch of folks who like to ride. We do breakfast, lunch, and dinner rides, and some multi-day rides.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:57 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by saltlick
I do miss riding with a group sometimes and more just hanging out with guys talking about bikes.
Doesnt sound like you need to join a group or a “club”, you just need to make a few friends. That way you can ride alone when you want or you can call your friends and ride together every once in a while.

Sling Blade 14 (04-16-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 06:09 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I joined the Southern Cruisers Riding Club about 11 years ago, I am not that activ3 in it anymore but I like the fact that there was almost no commitment, just ride at least a few times a year. We have had some memorable rides and I have made some very good friends. We usually raise money for St Jude’s.
We don’t discriminate against anything, even the bike brand lol, we might rag e@ch other about it every once in a while but all in good fun.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:20 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,464 Likes on 1,209 Posts

My wife and I belong to the local HOG chapter and we enjoy the rides, which is what we are into. I have made good friends and I also daily ride (weather permitting) to work. My wife joined Stilettos on Steel which is a women's riding group, so she could make friends with other female riders and ride with them. I am actually looking at BACA or a riding group to do rides and charity work. I am pretty selective on that due to my work. I cannot join a group know for drugs, racing, drinking, or other shenanigans that would get me fired.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:21 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

I've never actually seen the movie Wild Hogs so I don't know what that means. All HOG chapters are not created equal but some are really good. The one I belong to is one of the good ones. We ride a lot and it's a good group of folks. It's a large and very active chapter with a strong emphasis on safety. I've made some good friends in the chapter and really enjoy getting together with them. If your local chapter is anything like ours it would be worth checking out.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:37 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,464 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxpress
I've never actually seen the movie Wild Hogs so I don't know what that means. All HOG chapters are not created equal but some are really good. The one I belong to is one of the good ones. We ride a lot and it's a good group of folks. It's a large and very active chapter with a strong emphasis on safety. I've made some good friends in the chapter and really enjoy getting together with them. If your local chapter is anything like ours it would be worth checking out.

Okay point one "Wild Hog" is a crappy movie. I did not enjoy it, but it did make a good joke of the stereotypical bought a Harley and ride it to my local watering hole with my friends. The ride is all of 5 to 10 miles and is on city streets. I do think some HOG and other groups are guilty of this.

Point 2 I love to ride. I want to ride for hours on country roads enjoying the scenic views of this great country plus the curves (yes, I know I live in Florida and it is pretty flat). I am the Safety Officer of my chapter and am big on getting home after a ride, hence the position. We have a group of people that love to ride and do long rides and a group that likes short rides. We try to accommodate all groups of riders and their skills. I do not think we are the best chapter (always room for improvement), but we do have a local chapter that going to Dairy Queen for Ice Cream and milkshakes is a ride day.
In other words when looking at a group ride with them and see if it is what you want and also I found that you get what you put into it. I became a Road Captain, so I could get longer rides on the calendar that went to places besides food places, like my Don Garlit's Museum ride. I am also working on making a ride to old roadside attractions that existed prior to the Interstate system, when families would go and see the biggest ball of yarn and stuff like that.

scarey (04-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Riding clubs?