General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding after a heart attack

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 05:33 PM
BMyers
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Riding after a heart attack

The weather finally broke and I went and had a heart attack Monday.
Stent was placed Tuesday and now I work on recovery.
Luckily it was mild.
I like to hear experiences and advice from survivors who ride.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:39 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by BMyers
Luckily it was mild.
Wishing you a quick recovery. I was back to normal (actually better than normal) a week after I had my heart attack and a stent placed. The biggest thing to worry about is the hole in your groin where they went in to place the stent. That has to heal well before you put any strain on it.

I now have an abdominal aorta aneurysm. It will have to be repaired with a stent within the next year. Not looking forward to that as it is a minimum 30 day recovery period.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:45 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

Didn't have a heart attack but at 41 yrs old had a triple by pass the alternative was death, LAD blocked good!

My brother had a heart attack at 38 & was brought back on a final resuscitative attempt, just 4-5yrs ago he had a mild heart attack. we both ride as much as we can life is short enjoy it.

coronary artery disease runs in my family - I tell everyone at least I know what I'm going to die from - then a buddy of mine said to me - ya know god might have a sense of humor & chose another way to take you!!!!

Hardest part for me was after surgery they glued me up & I coughed like hell with a pillow clutched at my chest - upper body was weak & took time to heal so for me it was a little longer before I could get on & ride - my brother was riding a couple days after his stint, just take your time - your body will let you know & glad you are still with us!

Old 04-26-2018, 06:37 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

I had two attacks, died both times enroute to the hospital.
Ended up with 7 stents and a quad bypass.

7 months I was back on two wheels.
As stated your body will tell you when it is time.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:40 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

Wishing you a quick recovery. I was back to normal (actually better than normal) a week after I had my heart attack and a stent placed. The biggest thing to worry about is the hole in your groin where they went in to place the stent. That has to heal well before you put any strain on it.
They no longer go up through the groin, my last stent was two months ago, the doc went up my arm. Lot better than the other way.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:02 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

Two years ago I had three heart surgerys in one year I'm sure I won't spell it right they were ablations went up through my groined and went in and cauterized the inside of my heard do to the fact I have afib after rack one I was back to work within a week. Not fun getting old

Old 04-26-2018, 07:21 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I kind of feel you anxiety, I just spent 6 & 1/2 days in the Veterans Hospital, & it will take
up to 2 mounts for my recovery. I was lucky, when it hit me, I was in parking garage, and
I fell off the bike. Minimal to the Bike, I didn't know what happen, I hit the ground hard.
I am 72, and been riding for 50 years, I can't give it up riding yet. I hope you recovery
goes well, I know I will work hard at it, as I will.

John

The following users liked this post:
eleutheros (04-27-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 07:28 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

About 10 days after my (mild) heart attack and 5 stents I was back riding, as long as your groin is not too sore. I just rode short distances for a week or so mainly because I was tired (meds). It's been 3 and a half years and I mostly don't even think about it now.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:30 PM
mctraveler
Road Master
Received 321 Likes on 250 Posts

Almost an attack( just didn't feel well) went in and cardiac cath found severe blockage... three stents... back to work in four days....that was four years ago , June..... just got back from picking up a trike in Atlanta and riding it home to Duluth Mn...1400 miles.....follow Drs orders....work on a good healthy lifestyle.....you'll have many good years of riding left....as posted your body will tell you how fast to get back to riding.....many years...safe travels to you...

Old 04-26-2018, 08:07 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by OldPhat
I kind of feel you anxiety, I just spent 6 & 1/2 days in the Veterans Hospital, & it will take
up to 2 mounts for my recovery. I was lucky, when it hit me, I was in parking garage, and
I fell off the bike. Minimal to the Bike, I didn't know what happen, I hit the ground hard.
I am 72, and been riding for 50 years, I can't give it up riding yet. I hope you recovery
goes well, I know I will work hard at it, as I will.

John
Originally Posted by BMyers
Luckily it was mild.
Glad you're both doing well.
I bet you had a visit from a Pharmacist, Physical Therapist, Nutritionist and Social Worker before you were discharged, at least I did Each one had good advice and answered every question I had. They sent me home with a ton of literature and a new Living Will. Soon after I had a Family trust set up.
If you can join a Gym I recommend it, I go to Any Time Fitness and just work out on several stationary pieces of equipment and some cable stations 3 x a week, Silver Sneakers gives you a free membership if you're old enough. I also ride a stationary bike at home 5 days a week for Cardio. The formula for healthy living is 75%+ diet 25% exercise. Become a label reader. Stay away from fats you can't pour, saturated and trans fat like Stick Butter or Crisco. Processed foods are full of bad fat.
Poly and Mono saturated fats are liquid at room temps and are better. Olive oil, salmon fat and fats found in nuts.
Some folks get depressed after an event like this so take care of yourself and find help if you start to feel bad.
Pay attention to any warning signs you had before the MI, now you know if you have that pain or funny feeling it's time to seek help.

Good Luck
Bill

Quick Reply: Riding after a heart attack