General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you get interested in motorcycles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 01:45 AM
JC650
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How did you get interested in motorcycles?

A friend of mines dad had a Virago most of our childhood which we thought was cool, then he sold it.For years thugh he told us he always wanted an HD. Bout 5 years later when we were in our early 20's hebought an Electra Glide standard. This was around 1999 andI decided to look through the HD year 2000 model line up and a couple of months later I hada 00 FXST on order although I ended up with an 01 (another story). My friend also ordered an FXST and another friend ordered a Sporty. I really think thats the time HDs started getting popular with people butI thought the long wait time was just normal practice for a m/c and really didnt know much about the history of HD. Myself and two friends all had new bikes that year.We just wanted to get on our bikes and ride and we did every chance we could. Webarely had any money, we just wanted to do something different that not many people our age were doing.As of this time the three of us still ride.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Stevehat
Advanced

As a teenager in junior high I wanted a motorcycle. My dad would take me to a local auditorium where they had indoor flat track races here in West Palm Beach and I loved to watch the harley's. I got my dad interested in the idea. He got me a honda 90. He got a honda 500/4. Then he got a honda 750/4. I had the honda 90. Then he got a BMW 750. I had the 90. Then he got a BMW 900. I had the 90. So all in all my using him backfired. But now I'm his age (or older) and I needed an inexpensive (compared to a car) mode of transportation (i.e. another excuse to get a motorcycle) so I got a honda vlx 600. Outgrew that in about three months. Looked at the new Triumph 863 Bonneville. Did a web search and discovered that I could actually get a harley for around 10K. The rest is history. So far I'm glad I chose the harley.

Steve

Old 06-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've always been interested in motorcycles. I can't imagine anyone not being interested. It must be in my genes.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Catching a Breeze
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got started with dirt bikes, which in turn evolved to street bikes also as I got older.

I still can't get it out of my system, nor do I want to. It is my passion, and the only real hobby that I have personally.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Midwest Muscle
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My uncle rode his Super Glide over to our house in 1976, I was almost 10. He talked my mom (his sister) into letting me go for a short ride. We went about 5 miles, and I was hooked. I never ride a Harley these days that I don't think of him. He died at 34 years old some years back. He was the 'black sheep' of the family, but always my favorite!

Mike

Old 06-23-2007, 02:02 PM
13A77
Intermediate

My brother used to race dirts back i the late 70's and I loved going to the track with him and watching. My real dad had a bike and when he got hit by a drunk (cut on his face required 72 stitches and thats it) he sold it. My mom never forgot that and would never let me have a bike. I joined the Army, and life kept going by and things came up that stoped me from pulling the trigger on buying one. Well recently we came into some money, my wife said if you want to get the bike now is the time. LSS took the riding class got a 2007 superglide (my dream bike) and have been riding every chance I get (live in Washington so it rains a lot). Still getting used to it but I certainly don't regret getting it. It has been the best thing in the world.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:11 PM
shovel pat
Outstanding HDF Member

Never thought about it. I thought it was just in the blood.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

my dad
when i was 8, he bought me a 50cc yamaha dirkbike, becuase i was so jelous of his Softail. been hooked ever since

Old 06-23-2007, 02:46 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

my dad always had one. I can remember many days riding around on the back with him.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:00 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,697 Posts

I got a job as CEO of a Fortune 500 Company right out of high school and made it big. Had nothing better to do than go buy a Harley and now I have my personal driver trailer it to all rallies while I fly there in my personal jet, while bitching about global warming.

Seriously...Was about 15 when a freind's dad bought home a Triumph Bonneville home in 3 five gallon buckets, along with the frame, tires, and larger parts, and put it together and started riding it. The first ride I took on it and I was hooked. That was sometime in the very early 70's

Quick Reply: How did you get interested in motorcycles?