General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totaled my Lo today, Next bike will be...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:31 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Totaled my Lo today, Next bike will be...

Road King vs Streetglide.

Opinions?

Old 05-10-2018, 10:52 PM
Flstcjay
Tourer
Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Glad you’re OK, or OK enough to be posting here.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:57 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,288 Likes on 11,148 Posts

Your decision. Test ride it rent each.

The following users liked this post:
Geoff (05-11-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 11:27 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by Flstcjay
Glad you’re OK, or OK enough to be posting here.
Appreciate that. A modicum of luck and not panicking saw me through ok. Messed up my right hand pretty good being the worst of it. Would have lost a leg if not for the crash guard.

Same old ****, an idiot turned left in front of me. I managed to turn into the car instead of a direct T-bone. Leg got sandwiched, my mirror ate my hand. Some nasty bruises, a lot of blood from the hand.

Barring tendon damage, should be back on the horse before summer is out if insurance doesn't drag it out. The church collection plate will be getting a good wad of cash Sunday.

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Your decision. Test ride it rent each.
Not for awhile. In window shopping mode until the hand heals up. So collecting opinions. Besides a test ride doesn't tell you everything. I try to avoid expensive mistakes by listening to others' experiences.

For example, my Fatboy is now up to $600 for a couple tires. Quoted both by a dealer and an Indy 30 minutes prior to my wreck. F that.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-11-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:46 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Glad you are ok...after all said and done its a choice of a fairing vs a windshield, music or not. Infotainment or not....

once those three questions have been answered you have your answer.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:04 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master

Guess I'm not being really clear here. Understand I'm coming from pre-18 softails. The stock seat on the fatboy is garbage, just about everyone who has one replaces it in the first few weeks. You can probably expect to replace the VSS within the first 3 years.

Talking about the hidden costs here. Are there items on these bikes that most people replace because the OEM is garbage? Do you see abnormally high post counts concerning failure of any particular parts on them? Brake issues, sumping, whatever... common gremlins to the model.

Last edited by TeaRunner; 05-11-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:29 AM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
Guess I'm not being really clear here. Understand I'm coming from pre-18 softails. The stock seat on the fatboy is garbage, just about everyone who has one replaces it in the first few weeks. You can probably expect to replace the VSS within the first 3 years.

Talking about the hidden costs here. Are there items on these bikes that most people replace because the OEM is garbage? Do you see abnormally high post counts concerning failure of any particular parts on them? Brake issues, sumping, whatever... common gremlins to the model.
Both great bikes. Cuz theyre the same with difference being a fairing and infotainment. Personally Id go SG, but I also own one and a RK would be a second choice. Plenty of info on sumping and fluid transfer on M8s. Issues youd have with either.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:45 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Glad you're ok.

If those are the only choices. The Road King.

The stock SG bars suck as does the seat. The RG bars suck too. The RK bars are better. Of your 2 choices I prefer the look of the RK. I had a SG for 7 years. And loved it. Times change. Taste changes.

Last edited by RFG7680; 05-11-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:53 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,213 Likes on 6,226 Posts

The new Softails will not experience fluid transfer due to cable operated clutch whereas some (read as a very small percentage) touring bikes may experience fluid transfer. The fluid transfer is specific to the hydraulic clutch which is only in the touring bikes.

Rent a new Road King and rent a new Heritage. Most people love the way the new Heritage rides and handles, with the one exception being if you are exceptionally large or tall.

I tried a 2017 Street Glide. I liked it a lot but had way too many buttons and switches in the handlebars and controls were not as intuitive as they are on my old bike. Even starting it was a WTF moment for me, but then again I am used to pulling a choke etc.

I would avoid a used M8 simply because your chance of getting a bike that has sumping issues may be somewhat less on a new bike due to revised oil pump, but that still does not eliminate the possibility of getting one that has a sumping problem.

Or.....Evo's are going for between $3,500 and $5,500 these days whereas you can expect to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $20,000 for a new M8 powered bike. Is that new M8 four times better? You could buy four Evo's for one M8. Or you can buy an Evo and build up to be total bad *** to your liking and still have less money tied up in it.

The 2019's will be announced in a few months, so that could be something else to think about.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:18 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 890 Posts

Street glide give too much head bobble from buffeting... Go with the road King or a road glide.

Quick Reply: Totaled my Lo today, Next bike will be...