General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Generations not buying bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:23 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
I agree, but with one exception.... country kids, at least in my area, still are raised the old school way. Taught through example to do for themselves, work hard, fix their own ****.... and this has served them well. The world is their oyster right now because there is no competition from their urban brethren.
Damned straight. The only problem is there are a lot fewer of them since farms have gotten so big. How many families were spread out over 10,000 acres in 1950? How many are there today?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,679 Likes on 3,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
The fact that your hurt feelings lead you to constantly post in millennial threads lends a little credibility to the theory. Just saying.
He's OK, just doesn't realize he'll be "generalizing too much" himself when he gets to be our age. Been happening since the dawn of time, I suspect.

The following users liked this post:
Redoilokie (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 12:55 PM
TravelingTall
Cruiser
Received 287 Likes on 100 Posts
Smile Dear Harley Davidson, you need to read this. Suggestion from New Gen Harley Rider

I always liked Harley Davidson bikes, but to me, it seemed like you needed to buy into the so-called "biker lifestyle" I just wanted to ride. The truth is, there is a large number of Harley riders that are the same way. It seems as if Harley only marketed to a small percentage of riders and forgot about what makes their Motorcycles so great. I used to sale Motorcycles and I owned several sport bikes before my first Harley. My Dad has been riding Harley Davidson Motorcycles for over 50 years. Most of my life there has been a Harley in the garage. When it came time for me to buy a bike I wanted something different. I went with a Suzuki GSXR 750, from there I've had several sport bikes. I was the guy who rode sport bikes with all the Harleys. You may have one in your group. My whole Family rode Harley Davidson Bikes. My Dad rode a Road King, My Brother rode a Night Train, My Sister Rode a V Rod, My Uncle rode a Road King and my other Uncle rode an Ultra. I would ride my Suzuki with them on rides. I remember one Daytona bike week, we all went down and stayed in St Augustine FL and rode to Daytona every day. We took A1A, it was the best part of my trip. I enjoyed seeing all the bikes, but the ride with my family alongside the coast seeing the beach was the best part for me. We had to stop every morning and wait while they shined there bikes. After years of riding sport bikes, I wanted something cool and more comfortable for my wife. I bought a Street Glide, and I can say I've enjoyed every minute of it. It's allowed me to ride further and much more comfortable, however after about 350 miles my left shoulder hurts. Im 6 foot 5 and my bars are rolled up to clear my knees when I turn sharply. I think its a handlebar issue, I may have to buy something different. I plan to ride from Tennessee to California with my 73-year-old dad, he turns 74 in August and he just bought a New Ultra. I plan to post videos on my youtube channel Traveling Tall of the ride. Heres my point, there is more than one type of Harley rider. Some buy Harleys because status, some buy Harley because of camaraderie amongst friends, some buy for looks, some buy for nostalgia and so on and so on. None of these things are wrong, buy it for whatever reason you want. But for me it was the ride, some look, ok more than some look 30 percent look 70 percent ride. Most importantly the ride. In conclusion, riding for bar to bar doesn't interest me, I don't drink. I'm not judging those who do, it is their business. Sitting in the parking lot staring at a bunch of Motorcycles at a Bike night, gets old pretty quick, after about 10 minutes of that is about all I can take. I just want to ride, whether it be by myself are with a group. To look over the handlebars and see the scenery change is what makes me happy. Harley Davidson, if your listening that's how you market to the Next Generation Harley riders, the freedom of the open road, the spirit of travel and the joy of the journey. It's not some much about the events, its the adventure. Millenials have a to be unique, most will not be defined by a brand. You won't see a millennial wearing Harley boots, Harley shirt, Harley glasses, Harley pants and wallet, drinking out of a Harley mug. You may see them with some of those items but not fully dressed in Harley from head to toe like the older generation. No disrespect for the Older Generation. Many wear Vans and Chucks and maybe one or two of the other items. Again Harley sell them on the ride, as an additive to their lifestyle, not a whole prepackaged concept of what biker life is. Then I believe your sells will increase. No offense to anyone, this is just my opinion.
Thanks for reading.

God Bless

Traveling Tall

Old 07-12-2018, 01:29 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Studlintsean

Can’t change a light bulb? Most never rode a bicycle? You don’t really believe this do you? I agree today’s generation is different but most millennials were born in the 80s and early 90s and video games were nothing like they are today.

To generalize an entire generation is a bit ridiculous. This last week I painted my entire main level of the house, built some furniture for a nursery, rode a few hundred miles, cut the grass, worked as an accountant, drank some good beers at a brewery and by a bonfire, watched zero TV, and played zero video games. Maybe I’m just the exception.
Yes I generalized. Sorry for that. My kids are Millennial's and one is in the last semester of Computer Engineering at Penn State. This stuff is about context.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:10 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,700 Likes on 2,686 Posts

Originally Posted by StoneyFatBoy

what was gen x supposed to do .... I don’t know maybe don’t buy things you can’t afford put off starting a family until you’re in a better place financially instead of as a recent graduate read all the details behind a sub-prime mortgage maybe Listen to Dave Ramsey once in awhile
I was a victim of it and did everything I could to make the right decisions. I bought a 1976 split level house in NoVA as a first house with my wife. We bought in 2006 because the prices had dropped enough that we could finally afford to buy something and stop paying $1,800 a month in rent. In 2009 we went through a divorce. the housing market had dropped out by then and despite putting 18% down, we were $60k in the hole on the house. Life doesn't always work out, even if you're making the best decisions you can with the information you have available.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:12 PM
JB Johnson
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by edteach
Not true on Softail not handling well. I just rode my brothers 45 miles to the shop for service and back. Handled very well. I was surprised because I have heard this before. My Dyna is not any better. My bike also has more noticeable vibration.
That's one reason why I have a Dyna, the Dyna shake!

Old 07-12-2018, 10:00 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

Originally Posted by JB Johnson
That's one reason why I have a Dyna, the Dyna shake!
You want shake? You just need an Evo Softail. After 25 years I still love mine.