General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe it's just me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 09:17 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
I don't encounter many bikes going my direction, but there was this morning...
Putting it mildly, what a dipsh*t!

Old 05-24-2018, 10:54 AM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

Silly to think because youre a MC rider in a lane, another rider shouldnt pass in same lane...... Its a 12 foot wide lane. Because guys ride in veg mode, dont scan with their eyes, including mirrors, and get spooked because a guy makes a safe pass..... Hes the idiot? Try picking a side of the lane to start. Doubt any here complaining would be stuck behind a slow vehicle and not take a pass around a vehicle in a lane when opportunity arrives..... BUT seem to be all upset if another MC chooses to pass and not be stuck at their pace of ride..... Sorry but guys on Sportbikes, Dynas, **** even Baggers dont need to be stuck behind the slow go softtai guy or scenic guy ride. And Im sure myself and others wouldnt be too sorry about the butthurt and seriously not concerned if u caught em at the next **** stop for your 2 cents about the pass.....

Dont move around for the pass. If Im or someone else is coming to pass, stay there. U know where u are and I know where u are. Especially since I travel in the right side of the lane. I dont need u moving to the right, so I can pass on the left, so I have to move back to the right..... That's just silly.... And comes across more of a block then a pass on the left.

Last edited by Highwaymans; 05-24-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwaymans
Silly to think because youre a MC rider in a lane, another rider shouldnt pass in same lane...... Its a 12 foot wide lane. Because guys ride in veg mode, dont scan with their eyes, including mirrors, and get spooked because a guy makes a safe pass..... Hes the idiot? Try picking a side of the lane to start.

Dont move around for the pass. If Im or someone else is coming to pass, stay there. U know where u are and I know where u are. Especially since I travel in the right side of the lane. I dont need u moving to the right, so I can pass on the left, so I have to move back to the right..... That's just silly.... And comes across more of a block then a pass on the left.
Wrong ****ing answer. The lane is mine to move around in as I see fit. If and when I recognize you and if, and only IF I wave you to pass is it ok to pass in my lane.

The following 2 users liked this post by Redoilokie:
5wheels (05-26-2018), CaptainAwesome (05-25-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 11:06 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

I as a solo rider ride in the middle of the road (Not a yellow or white stripe hugger by any means) until another motorcycle comes behind me. Tend to slow down and let him or her pass by me to ensure my own safety. Do not like others that I do not know riding with or next to me. Like others above said, "Idiots". I think exactly the same too.

Thorey

Old 05-24-2018, 11:16 AM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
Wrong ****ing answer. The lane is mine to move around in as I see fit. If and when I recognize you and if, and only IF I wave you to pass is it ok to pass in my lane.
Well..... Unfortunately youd be wallowing in butthurt as myself and group pass you and continue on at our pace of ride and not yours.... With zero concern of your belief u own the whole lane..... I know its probably hard to believe people dont care to live life at your pace or care how u feel, but thats how it is.... Cry me a river.....

Old 05-24-2018, 11:20 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Well..... Unfortunately youd be wallowing in butthurt as myself and group pass you and continue on at our pace of ride and not yours.... With zero concern of your belief u own the whole lane..... I know its probably hard to believe people dont care to live life at your pace or care how u feel, but thats how it is.... Cry me a river.....
Oh, I'm well aware people don't care how I feel, I feed on it. It's rare to begin with that you'll A. pass me and B. find me riding the left lane if I'm not passing, but I can assure you, I'll move some of you and your buddies out of my lane or we'll start a pile. Up to you.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:22 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

Silly to think because youre a MC rider in a lane, another rider shouldnt pass in same lane...... Its a 12 foot wide lane. Because guys ride in veg mode, dont scan with their eyes, including mirrors, and get spooked because a guy makes a safe pass..... Hes the idiot? Try picking a side of the lane to start. Doubt any here complaining would be stuck behind a slow vehicle and not take a pass around a vehicle in a lane when opportunity arrives..... BUT seem to be all upset if another MC chooses to pass and not be stuck at their pace of ride..... Sorry but guys on Sportbikes, Dynas, **** even Baggers dont need to be stuck behind the slow go softtai guy or scenic guy ride. And Im sure myself and others wouldnt be too sorry about the butthurt and seriously not concerned if u caught em at the next **** stop for your 2 cents about the pass.....

So here's the "context" of the video. It's a steep incline about 3 miles long up a mountain. 65mph limit, but in the right lane there are slow moving trucks doing as slow as 30mph depending on what they're carrying. I moved to the left lane and passed 2 cars. I was doing around 65, definitely not lane blocking. I barely finished my pass of the cars when the biker passed me hauling A.

No hurt feelings here, I don't care about how other people ride as long as they aren't putting others in danger. This could've had a bad ending for lots of reasons. After we're both on the blacktop and our bikes are in pieces, who was right and wrong wouldn't make much difference.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:26 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Have come from riding a few sports bikes, that's one of the reasons I stopped. You just tend to do more stupid stuff on them because of how quick the machine is, and how much it's not fun at lower [aka legal] speeds. Basically hot and bothered all the time, lol.

After reading few some replies I think we all ride in pretty different situations. As such lane location needs to vary greatly. The safest spot can change from a dozen variables on the same road ten times in a mile. But as far as the OP's post, group riding has to be learned, and if they've never done it they don't have the etiquette for it. Personally I don't think anyone should be close enough on a stranger away from stop lights to need to fall into a group formation. You don't know them, they don't know you. Some people are reckless, best to not get close enough to be a part of their journey.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 05-24-2018 at 01:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
crabio (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 02:45 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by J_MOSH
I dont usualy hold one side or the other when solo. Move around to maintain my line of sight and to be seen by people looking to pull in from side streets. In theory anyway. Ive heard it referred to as lane management I believe.

But once I fall in with someone I always stay staggered and hold my line.
I do the same. If a faster rider approaches I usually move to the right and wave them by.

I have had the random idiot who speeds by on the right side, usually a youngster on a crotch rocket.

Like others have said you can't cure stupid!

Old 05-24-2018, 02:54 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

I do my own ride. I just take whatever position I need to in order for incoming traffic to see me best and me to see incoming traffic. I don't ride in groups. If I get in traffic with other riders in front of me, I just give them distance in front and again take whatever position I need to in order to be visible. If that means staggered, fine. If not, then not. I don't trust cars. And based on how I see people ride in traffic and in groups, I trust other riders even less.

Quick Reply: Maybe it's just me?