General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe it's just me?

Old 05-23-2018, 09:09 AM
crabio
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Maybe it's just me?

I've been meaning to post this for a while now and then it happened again yesterday and told myself now's the time.

I ride back and forth to work most days and the route I take is almost all little 2 lane country roads. Now that the weather has turned around here, there are many more bikes out.

My habit is always when I'm riding to stay in the left part of my lane. Learned that from somewhere many years ago and it's just automatic for me.

When I approach another bike from behind, if he's riding in the left part of the lane, I automatically move over and ride in the right part of the lane. Staggered so that he/she can see me.

But I can't tell you how many people approach me from behind and the proceed to follow me in the left part of the lane. I let it go for about 15 seconds and then I move to the right side of the lane so we are staggered. That just feel really weird to me. Lead bike to the right and bike behind me to the left. I've even had a few times where the bike behind me moves to the right as well and would basically follow me no matter where I was in the lane.

Anytime anyone does this I always chalk it up to them being a new rider, but I'm wondering if there is some new technique out there that is being taught and I'm the old fart who is out of touch. I was taught many many years ago that the reason you stagger is so the bike in front of you has a clear view of you in one of his rear views either left or right and if the bike in front has to quick stop, the bike behind is not plowing into the front bike.

I'm willing to learn so if I'm doing it wrong someone please school me.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:11 AM
madhat
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to do the same as you... ride in the left part of the lane so I can see oncoming traffic better, stagger when I'm riding with someone else.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:14 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,651 Likes on 2,672 Posts

I ride the same as you. Hold the left, move right if approaching another rider close enough to be considered a formation. I've given up trying to figure out why others do what they do. I generally consider most people idiots and then I can smile when I see someone with a light on.

Last edited by FNGonaRK; 05-23-2018 at 09:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:15 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,041 Likes on 11,061 Posts

I also like riding in the left wheel track. If a faster bike comes up behind me, I'll move to the right track so the faster bike can overtake me in the left wheel track.
If the rider won't overtake me, I'll slow a bit and give him a wave with my left hand.
Stagger is more difficult in curves since taking lines involves riding in both wheel tracks.

Last edited by upflying; 05-23-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:18 AM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
I also like riding in the left wheel track. If a faster bike comes up behind me, I'll move to the right track so the faster bike can overtake me in the left wheel track.
I follow this practice too, but a few times the bike behind me will pass me on the inside ! I hate when this happens !...b.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:19 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,075 Likes on 3,318 Posts

I'm with FNGonaRK. I assume most people are complete morons. Gave up trying to figure why they do what they do. Occasionally I'm shocked when I run into someone that doesn't have their head burried up their ***.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:20 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Your right, new rider.
But if he's behind you, who gives a crap?
At least he's not passing you in the same lane.
If you like the left, stay on the left. Just adjust a mirror so you can see him.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:22 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by crabio
I've been meaning to post this for a while now and then it happened again yesterday and told myself now's the time.

I ride back and forth to work most days and the route I take is almost all little 2 lane country roads. Now that the weather has turned around here, there are many more bikes out.

My habit is always when I'm riding to stay in the left part of my lane. Learned that from somewhere many years ago and it's just automatic for me.

When I approach another bike from behind, if he's riding in the left part of the lane, I automatically move over and ride in the right part of the lane. Staggered so that he/she can see me.

But I can't tell you how many people approach me from behind and the proceed to follow me in the left part of the lane. I let it go for about 15 seconds and then I move to the right side of the lane so we are staggered. That just feel really weird to me. Lead bike to the right and bike behind me to the left. I've even had a few times where the bike behind me moves to the right as well and would basically follow me no matter where I was in the lane.

Anytime anyone does this I always chalk it up to them being a new rider, but I'm wondering if there is some new technique out there that is being taught and I'm the old fart who is out of touch. I was taught many many years ago that the reason you stagger is so the bike in front of you has a clear view of you in one of his rear views either left or right and if the bike in front has to quick stop, the bike behind is not plowing into the front bike.

I'm willing to learn so if I'm doing it wrong someone please school me.
I'll offer you two pieces of advice that have served me well over the years:

1. Improvise, adapt, and overcome. Do what you need to do to handle the situation.

2. You can't control the actions of others. That's not to say you can't attempt to anticipate and plan accordingly, but certain things are simply beyond your control. Learn to accept that.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:23 AM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior
Received 935 Likes on 500 Posts

I dont usualy hold one side or the other when solo. Move around to maintain my line of sight and to be seen by people looking to pull in from side streets. In theory anyway. Ive heard it referred to as lane management I believe.

But once I fall in with someone I always stay staggered and hold my line.

The following users liked this post:
SamStone (05-26-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:24 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,041 Likes on 11,061 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMn
Your right, new rider.
But if he's behind you, who gives a crap?
At least he's not passing you in the same lane.
If you like the left, stay on the left. Just adjust a mirror so you can see him.
But staying left encourages a pass in the right wheel track, highly dangerous, unexpected and discourteous.
Yes, some states prohibit two vehicles to travel next to each other in the same lane but moving right allows a rider to pass you without having to move into the oncoming lane, a big safety advantage IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maybe it's just me?