General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so I tried lane splitting...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 10:44 AM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,616 Likes on 749 Posts
Default Ok, so I tried lane splitting...

Okay, so now that I live in California, I tried lane splitting the other day. Normally, I would just wait in stop-and-go traffic, but this time the traffic was so bad that I decided to try and lane split.

In my commute, I think I maybe saved 5-10 min. Also, I found that my clutch hand was much less fatigued. What I did not like, however, was that I was really putting my trust in everyone I passed (hoping that they saw me, and that they would not suddenly change lanes in front of me). That was a bit unsettling for me. There were a couple of times that a car seemed like it was going to change lanes into me, only to see me at the last second and pull back into their lane.

So, I tried lane splitting. I don't know that I would do it again, but maybe... Maybe I just need to work on that skill more...

R,
Sanjuro

Old 05-23-2018, 11:02 AM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Not a big deal after you have done it for a while. If traffic is stopped it's harder for cages to change lanes. When moving, watch where the driver is looking.

The following 3 users liked this post by RedNose44:
RET_SCPO (05-23-2018), Sarah93003 (05-23-2018), tar_snake (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:10 AM
carlspeed
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any issue with lane splitting when it's used appropriately. As in, threading up to the light when traffic is stopped, or at speeds under 30mph when traffic is inching. I think it's great, and I wish all the other states would do it also.

The following 2 users liked this post by carlspeed:
Low budget Dan (05-27-2018), tar_snake (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:14 AM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior
Received 935 Likes on 500 Posts

What he said ⬆⬆⬆ I have little desire to split lanes at 70-80 mph. But there's those times (like last night) when the highway is stop and go for miles. Id like to be able to just keep moving cautiously .

Old 05-23-2018, 11:24 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 658 Posts

You guys have bigger ***** than me. Screw city riding.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:31 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

I really miss lane splitting, So much so that I've done it here out of habit without even thinking. Lane splitting should be allowed everywhere!

The more you do it the better you get at it. I always look several cars down as I go and spend a lot of time int he friction zone and on the throttle. In California most people seem to move out of your way. Easier on a non bagger for sure though.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:41 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,934 Likes on 2,569 Posts

The issue with lane splitting for me is that it takes a crazy amount of concentration, which over long periods of riding is very fatiguing. Not that I won't do it, but when needed for long periods of time, it can really wipe you out. And of course your nice relaxing ride is now ruined. I pretty much gave up commuting on the bike because of this, I would rather just sit in the car with the tunes on then be on high alert for that long.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:42 AM
SupremeHD
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know how you can ride without it. I just recently started riding my bike to work. If any socal members here know i take the 405 at 530pm... Its a mess and traffic jam with no ending in sight. Im more scared of stopping than lane splitting. I feel somewhat more in control as long as im moving. Trying to exit and getting stuck in a lane stopped gets my heart racing. Im fairly new to riding during traffic but i can see the benefits of lane splitting. I also only do it if its stopped slow traffic and rarely break 40mph i let other riders ride by and i just cruise alert as hell.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:53 AM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 81 Posts

Watching this makes my toe nails ache.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:58 AM
Dwebber18
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I would be just fine with it in the scenario you described of either working up to a light in stopped traffic or at slower speeds where traffic isn't moving. I have been in traffic and looked ahead longingly wishing it was legal to slip out and come up to the light passing dozens of cars along the way. However, being illegal is one factor also people who would not expect it to occur and may not be looking in their mirrors as they assume no one will be coming up. I wish it were legal everywhere as it would save a few minutes off my commute but sometimes after work I have to go downtown and traffic is a nightmare and can take over an hour to go 15 miles. Those times I really wish lane splitting were legal as it would cut that ride in half.

Quick Reply: Ok, so I tried lane splitting...