General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between Harley's

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:30 PM
nesmith033
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between Harley's

Hello all,

I just joined the forum, and am really impressed with everyone's knowledgeso forgive me if I am asking a quesiton that has been posted before. I would like to buy my first HD, but I am confused by all the types of bikes they sell. Specifically, I am not sure how the various bikes differ (Dyna, Softtail, etc)...

I haven't ridden a bike in several years, and have never ridden a Harley.

Can someone please assist me in learning the differnces among various models?

Thanks in advance!

Norm

Old 06-25-2007, 12:35 PM
boone432
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Differences between Harley's

well the best way i can describe it, is that the softails, have the hidden shocks, which are located in front of the rear tire running parallel with the ground. The dynas have the shocks on the outside, visible,running perpendicular, also, i believe the dynas have a little bit more front end rake....meaning the front end is angled greater, and hmmm..... the riding positions are different...as for different models of the dynas and softails....thats kind of a visual self explanation.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:36 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

Aside from the replies you'll get here on the boards, I'd suggest going to a dealer and finding a sales guy you feel comfortable in talking with. Contrary to popular opinion here, not everyone at a dealer is 'out to get ya'. Once you find a sales guy that 'clicks' with you, walk the showroom floor and ask questions; taking notes if possible all the while. You'll find that a good salesman will take the time to educate you as best he can on the different models and the like. Those who won't aren't worth buying a bike from anyhow. Also, if feasible, try renting a few models and testing them out. If you're gonna' buy, most dealerships will take the cost of your rental off the purchase price if you buy from them within a specific period of time. Good luck to you.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:39 PM
floydpink
Tourer

Just ask the salesman where they keep the Fatboys and you'll be on your way to eternal bliss.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:39 PM
nesmith033
Stage II

Thanks for the fast responses. I will visit a dealer soon. Does anyone know of a good sales person in the Northern Virginia area. Again thanks for the help!

Norm

Old 06-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Carolina Fatboy
Road Master

ORIGINAL: floydpink

Just ask the salesman where they keep the Fatboys and you'll be on your way to eternal bliss.
No truer words than that [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 06-25-2007, 04:43 PM
DMSC
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Carolina Fatboy

ORIGINAL: floydpink

No truer words than that [sm=exactly.gif]
I've never heard such unbiased opinions?

As has already been stated...a LOT can be learned at a dealer..just don't take it ALL as the Gospel...[&:]

Old 06-25-2007, 04:44 PM
silver1
Tourer

Research and get what is best for you...but only vote for Softails for the BOTM

Old 06-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

how about www.harleydavidson.com before the dealer visit?

Old 06-25-2007, 05:21 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sportster, Dyna, Softail and Touring bikes are all totally different frames. All have conventional rear shock mounting except for the Softails which have horizontal shocks mounted under the frame. These shocks extend rather than compress when the rear tire hits a bump. This arrangement is so the bike can resemble the hardtails (no rear suspension) of yore. The Sportster is a smaller, lighter bike and sits higher in most cases. The wheelbase is shorter by far compared to the big twin bikes. The Sporty has two engines; 883cc-55ci and 1200cc-74ci. It's more of a handling bike than the big ones. The Sporty engines are rubber-mounted, as are the Dynas and the Touring bikes. Sporty engines are overhead valve engines with 4 cams.
The Dyna and Touring frames are more rigid than the Softail frame, with a box section frame piece under the gas tank. The Softail has a tube there. The Touring bike has the heaviest frame as it's the heaviest bike. It also has a shorter primary drive case than the Dynas or Softails (that big chrome thing at the bottom of the left side). The Softails have solid engine mounts which help somewhat to stiffen the frame. Their engines have a balance shaft on the front of the engine case to quell vibrations which are quelled by the rubber engine mounting of the other frames. All big bikes have the current 96ci engine.
It has two chain driven cams. All Harley engines are 45 degree, OHV, air-cooled V Twins.
This post does not acknowledge the existence of the V-Rod.

Quick Reply: Differences between Harley's