General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Troubles and What to do About It

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 01:43 AM
Lawrence Kauderer
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Davidson Troubles and What to do About It

I was first introduced to Harley Davidson in the early eighties. At that time Harley Davidson had some real challenges. But, through innovation, improved product production technology,commitment, quality, and tenacity Harley Davidson came roaring back. Bu the mid nineties, Harley Davidson were so popular, there was a waiting list to purchase one. In 2006, Harley Davidson was again doing quite well. But, after the economy collapsed, the company has struggled since. Harley Davidson is a remarkable company and has consistently proved the naysayers wrong. They will do so again this time. I can't really explain why, but Harley Davidson has always had a special place in my heart since I was about fifteen years old and I am currently forty nine. Over the last few years, Harley Davidson has been under performing. The question is why. The company seems to have a long term strategy to turn things around. Some of the key components of this strategy is grow ridership by two million in the U.S. within ten years, produce high impact products, target African Americans, Hispanics, and women, and increase international sales. The concern is, I don't see significant improvement. I can tell you Harley Davidson is offering some exquisite products.I believe they did make some questionable choices in their lineup. Specifically, with VROD and dyna platform The VROD was a remarkable motorcycle and was a real departure of traditional models, it was sophisticated and high performance. For a company that wants to increase their presents to a younger rider, the VROD offered an option to their competitors and the Low Rider S, received many awards with even best in class by Cycle World magazine.This model was only produced one year. Also, when they offered the new chasis, I thought it would have been better to discontinue both the softtail and dyna's By keeping only the softtail platform, it created a lot of misunderstanding and consternation among customers Is it worth revisiting this strategy, what are some of the root causes for Harley Davidson's challenges, and what can be done about it. I would be interested in hearing some mature, and thoughtful insights and opinions about this issue.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:43 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

"For a company that wants to increase their presents to a younger rider, the VROD offered an option to their competitors"

what new rider can afford 18 thousand or more for a motorcycle?

They can get a brand new FZ07 for just over 7k that's lighter, better brakes & quicker (0-60)

The following 2 users liked this post by kngpn:
ChrisHo (07-10-2018), steves86ta (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 09:48 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrence Kauderer
The concern is, I don't see significant improvement... I would be interested in hearing some mature, and thoughtful insights and opinions about this issue.
Why? Are you an employee of HD? Do you own HD stock? Are you concerned about product support for a possible purchase?

Old 07-09-2018, 10:03 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Much has been written in many threads here-
In the end, history will tell us if they did the correct thing.
Without a long deposition, I will say they will be found guilty of not seeing the future at all !
Willie had them all set up with a new H20 V twinn .It worked well.
He retired, the Ivory Tower bean counters never put another dime in the motorcycle.
Never advertised, Never promoted it.
Now the babby boomers and wantabee riders are gone.!
They have nothing to sell.
This is the simple version.
But it is over except for the burying.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:08 AM
klap
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 122 Posts

most of us old guys are dead..Harley is dying right along with us..

Old 07-09-2018, 10:12 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Been done too many times already.

Last edited by RK4ME; 07-09-2018 at 10:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SBRob (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:46 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

One the biggest challenges MOCO faces is demographics. I think they could over come some of this by offering a Sportster bases dual sport/scrambler style bike or similar, as well as revamping the Street series. The younger generation, demands maintenance free quality. However, the profit margins are in the upper end bikes; touring etc... I think lack of quality is killing MOCO, just like it did with AMF. While a lot of riders love their M8's; quality and reliability issues are affecting sales IMO. Spend an extra couple of bucks on bearings and such, treat the customer right. Harley will survive, but I doubt we'll be back to hey days of the 90's; as evidenced by the shuttering of the KC plant. Traditionally, MOCO has always balanced production with sales; they got a bit ahead that curve a few years back and there's a glut of good used low mileage bikes out there, further cutting into to new sales.

I have never thought I would ever want an Ultra/Electra Glide; but my girlfiend loves riding with me and the Fatboy is a bit short on storage and comfort. We've talked about getting a big touring bike. Craigslist has several good used '09 to '13 bikes with low mileage priced 10 - 12K. I would go for one of those any day over a new M8; just a way better value IMO.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Lawrence Kauderer
Stage IV

Don't tell me about a plastic mobile that in which you need herniated disk surgery after you ride it five times or less.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:52 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

i got 'presents' for Christmas.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:53 AM
Lawrence Kauderer
Stage IV

Folks, remember, I asked for thoughtful and mature responses of which this is neither. I raised this topic because Harley Davidson is a special company that has produced some of the finest motorcycles in the world. If you have some kind of ax to grind, go see a therapist.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Troubles and What to do About It