General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson engineers SUCK!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:51 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Harley-Davidson engineers SUCK!!

I know this has been brought up before but, Jeez Loweez!! I just want to put a simple backrest on my Dyna, so my lady and her daughter feel safer. But it's ANYTHING but simple. Turn signal relocation kit, sideplates, uprights, pads $350.00+++!!!!FOR A BACKREST!!! I remember 30 years ago, my old 350 honda, I picked a back rest at a swap meet for a coupla bucks and it bolted right on. I heard a rumor once that the powers that be at the motor company peruse this forum from time to time. If so, heres some advice;

KISS

keep it simple stupid!!

You woulda thought I would feel better after ranting, I dont.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:58 PM
T Tommyt
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley-Davidson engineers SUCK!!

Ok so is it all about the money [8D]

Old 06-26-2007, 10:58 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thats just a start.. I got a list of bolt ons that are more like.."who invented this fugg%$# crap ons"!!

Old 06-26-2007, 11:06 PM
dionne51
Road Captain

I think HD invented A-La-Cart.

I quickly realized this when I purchased my passenger backrest and had to purchase the 'hardware kit' separately. Kind of like buying a new office desk and having to purchase the bagged hardware kit separately.

HD marketing employee "Hey! We could make more money if we somehow could break down our accessories into smaller sub-groups of parts"......the rest is history.

D

Old 06-27-2007, 12:51 AM
spike95
Road Master

I know what you mean. They are gonna stick it to you whenever they can. I had the little plastic sub-structure break inside my tail light and had to replace the whole assembly because it was the only part of the tail light that didn't have a part number to order it. A $100 tail light for a little piece of plastic! Thank God, I at least got a good deal onthe replacement.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:40 AM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer

Try buying stuff for a wide glide sometime[:@][X(]"This piece you need for your bike fits every dyna except yours.[sm=jawdrop.gif]I still wouldnt trade it for the world though

Old 06-27-2007, 01:51 AM
zcaseman
Advanced

I know it pi$$es me off. I want a good backrest and keep my stock bullet turn signals where they are. It is not the engineers, it's the bean counters greedy for more beans.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:54 AM
Dago_RoadKing
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: dionne51

I think HD invented A-La-Cart.

I quickly realized this when I purchased my passenger backrest and had to purchase the 'hardware kit' separately. Kind of like buying a new office desk and having to purchase the bagged hardware kit separately.

HD marketing employee "Hey! We could make more money if we somehow could break down our accessories into smaller sub-groups of parts"......the rest is history.

D

Huh? My dealer installs the backrest mounting kit on every bike on there show room floor. This is passed onto there customers at no charge.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:12 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How funny. This is what I was just bitchin about yesterday here. I want to go on some long rides the next few weeks. I wanted to get a back rest for my daughter. They are talking $400+ installed. $300+ just for parts. Come on now!!!! It's a freakin back rest!!!! Someone was wasted when they designed the turn signals is that spot!!

Old 06-27-2007, 04:38 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Thirty years ago that couple of bucks for the swap meet backrest was probably about the same percentage of overall value to the 350 Honda as the $350 new backrest is to your Dyna today.Twenty-nine years ago I bought a brand new LowRider for $4400. Money ain't worth what it used to be. Try a swap meet again.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson engineers SUCK!!