General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrenches, sockets and other bits

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 03:11 PM
Mihail Petev
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrenches, sockets and other bits

Hi there - maybe a trivial or stupid question but as I am doing a complete bike overhaul right now I was wondering if someone would happen to know the usual Harley (Sportster 2015 in particular) tool sizes. Additionally I`m having the European model - not sure if that changes anything.

My main problem was for instance the axle bolt of the rear wheel - is that 28mm or 1-1/8 socket (which will be 28.5mm) and the same applies to pretty much all the bolts apart from most of the allen ones they seem to all be imperial.

So yeah if someone happens to have a list of like - these sizes metric and these imperial that would be pretty cool.

Best

Last edited by Mihail Petev; 07-16-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:28 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,958 Likes on 3,036 Posts

Get both sets, karma will screw ya if you don’t.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:40 PM
Mihail Petev
Advanced

Well that was my plan but then i looked at the min/max sizes and found out i need to cover something like 1-40mm + 1/8 to 1-1/8" + about 200 different types of torx, allen, etc so essentially it ends up with spend money equivalent to the price of the bike to get tools and use about 5% of them :P

Old 07-16-2018, 04:11 PM
Mihail Petev
Advanced

Right parts catalog - doesnt contain everything unfortunately but it is possible to find some stuff

Old 07-16-2018, 05:22 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,253 Likes on 6,012 Posts

there is a Sportster only forum..... xlforum I think ... that should be able to help you. I have a list somewhere of what fits what for wrenches/fasteners on Sportys....but I don't know how to attach!! I would chat with dealers over there and see what they say. If you were in the US, I would recommend SnapOn, Mac, Proto, Stanley, and some Craftsman. But I would not buy every single wrench. I would buy some basic sets, perhaps both English and metric. I was a former mechanic, so my tool box is full of these types of tools...just could not be without as that was how I earned a living! But for most of the bike owners/home owners, there are other brands which should work well. I would stay within 1/4 to 1" American, 8mm up to about 24mm metric....same with sockets.
Tools are my downfall.... I love looking and buying!! Good luck with your project. and get on that XL forum and do some checking!!!

Old 07-16-2018, 07:05 PM
s-glide76
Road Master
Received 999 Likes on 411 Posts

Harley should of went with all metric fasteners back in the 90's when they went to the twin cam instead of this hodge podge of torx, allen, metric allen, sae and metric bolts.
I imagine Harley is a turn off to a lot of young riders here in the states and abroad just because they don't want to have to buy a whole new set of tools to maintain them.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:18 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,143 Likes on 765 Posts

I have a bunch of snap on, mac, matco and SK. One thing to not go cheap on is allen sockets and torx stuff. The SO stuff fits so much better then any of the cheap stuff

Old 07-16-2018, 07:24 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

It really doesn't matter. Buy them all. No matter what, once you start working you will find you need something you don't have. I have two large rolling tool chests and three good sized tool boxes filled with what should be every wrench/socket/key/driver/etc/etc under the sun. No matter, any time I start working on a something I haven't worked on yet I find I'm missing at least one tool.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:46 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

Nice thing about tools, is, buy quality and they'll last a lifetime. I'm 66 and still using tools I bought when I was just out of school and working on my first bike.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:48 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

I have a nice craftsman set with rachet all different allen, torx, phillips and so far it has had everything I've needed. Here's a link: https://www.craftsman.com/products/c...ket-wrench-set

I really like this set.

Plus for travel I have the Cruz tools Road Tech set for Harleys - between the two of those I pretty much have all bases covered. Plus I have acquired some other tools and last week a blow torch to get screws out that were red locktited. I kind of pick it up as I go along.

Quick Reply: Wrenches, sockets and other bits