General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on buying damaged bike...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 10:34 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I've restored wrecked bikes before. As long as the frame is straight it's all good.

That said, if I was looking at the least desirable of all Harleys, I sure wouldn't be paying anywhere close to market value, which is what OP is proposing. I'd pay HALF of that. If the shop that's selling it is looking to get $5200, they are seeking a naive fool to buy it.

OP, don't be that fool!

Last edited by Veekness; 07-21-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:52 PM
Mozvader
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,184 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
I've restored wrecked bikes before. As long as the frame is straight it's all good.

That said, if I was looking at the least desirable of all Harleys, I sure wouldn't be paying anywhere close to market value, which is what OP is proposing. I'd pay HALF of that. If the shop that's selling it is looking to get $5200, they are seeking a naive fool to buy it.

OP, don't be that fool!
I own a Street Glide Special and a Sporty. Sportsters are great bikes! Loads of fun, customizable, lightweight, etc.
I love Sportsters. Especially 883's with a 1250 conversion on the original gearing. C'mon man. Take it easy on Sportsters.

Did I mention that I love Sportsters

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-26-2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 07-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Mozvader
I own a Street Glide Special and a Sporty. Sportsters are great bikes! Loads of fun, customizable, lightweight, etc.
I love Sportsters. Especially 883's with a 1250 conversion on the original gearing. C'mon man. Take it easy on Sportsters.
I like Sportsters. But it is what it is.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:01 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Give these guys a call and they can tell you what to expect and if it is repairable? http://www.motorcycleframeman.com/

Old 07-21-2018, 11:32 PM
Steevo Jolly
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

My wife layed down her 2016 Iron. Not high speed and she came out with just a few bruises. When I picked her bike up all I immediately noticed was the right side of the bars were bent bad and the throttle cable was jacked. Very small ding on the tank. Her bike had highway bars as well as a frame slider on the top shock mounts. I sent it to the dealership because we were 150 miles from home and it was only a couple miles away. I told the dealership I was only interested in getting the bike safe and rideable no cosmetic concerns. Ended up costing me 1200$ because she broke the stop off the lower tripletree. The went through and replaced all the neck bearings just to be safe. Point of the story is, once I saw the broken tripletree I was surprised at how weak the stop looked. Mediocre cast metal. She didn't hit hard, but the way the bars were turned it was enough to snap the stop right off. If I were looking to buy her bike after the drop I wouldn't pay more than 4K for it (payed 7 at two years old and 1k on the clock). The damage was minimal and I have no concerns about the bike after repair. But that being said there are a ridiculous amount of barely ridden bikes for sale. If you have the money buy a clean bike. If cash flow is a concern don't be scared off by a dropped bike if the price is right and the bike checks out.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:00 AM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

My question is why isn't the shop that's selling it fix it? I think they know something you don't. Or they would fix it themselves

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 07:37 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by wileel
First would like to say hey, and look fwd to learning all I can from the forums here. Im new to the forum as well motorcycles so please go easy on me, That being said I am very experienced with vehicles and other mechanical aspects,just never messed with bikes.

Now to the topic at hand...I'm considering buying a 15 sportster that has been laid down. It went down pretty good on the rt side; broke the fork stop sending the bars into the tank making a very good dent in the top corner, the front fender MAY have shifted slightly to the lt (hard to tell because its still perfectly straight) pipes got a little rash as well as the throttle grip and a few more small spots that are no big deal (to me). Bike has very low limes and I can get it for a decent price, even after I consider fixing the triple tree and replacing the tank I think I would be less than typical third party used sale.

Million dollar question...would anyone be concerned buying damaged and if so what would they be?
Thanks
Ok mate, several things..........

1) WELCOME to HDF. You are now formally an idiot. Getting ragged on here is common so do not take it personally. Actually take nothing from anyone personally especially here since no on here really even knows you.

2) No one can HONESTLY say they "laid there bike down". The DROPPED it or just went down. But they do not "lay their bike down". They crashed.
If I was standing with you beside my bike and purposely "laid it down" to teach you how to pick up like a 924 lbs ultra ltd bike, that is laying it down my friend. But u know, many biker have to protect their ego so they claim they "laid it down". Yah right.

3) wileel, to me it comes to.:

a) Safety 1st. Will the bike really be safe after it is repaired? Will you (and u have a lot of mechanical knowledge) be safe riding it on the highway at highway speeds?

b) Are you ok with the numerous things that can go wrong with the bike after it was in a crash? If this loosens up or if that leaks out or you get a vibration at 35 mph, etc..... <-- maybe my friend wileel, you enjoy analyzing and fixing those types of things if they happen. I can't screw in a light bulb. You are apparently heavily experienced with mechanical things and may even look forward to something going whack-a-doodles.

c) Lastly my friend, if u r planning on long rides (I don't think u r) but if u r planning on long or many long rides, do u want an issue wiht the bike many miles away from home?

Those are my thoughts. As there are many people here quick to rag on you for anything, there are MANY who are REALLY SMART, VERY knowledgeable about motorcycles, repairs, traveling, etc.... so I will now stay in the background seeing what you and others are saying.

Let us know ur final decision ok mate?

Ride Safe!! Love having you here!!

BuzzCap7

Old 07-22-2018, 08:09 AM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for all of the opinions, much appreciated! I can hold out for sure, but from the market around here I doubt Ill see one similar for the price biased on the local market...seems 6k is the low asking price for one from what I have been seeing. Gonna be on the road deployed until December so maybe I can get a xmas special off someone who is needs money for toys or is sick of one collecting dust in his/her garage. Funny you said that about the dealer...they have two locally but are asking almost 7k for them!
Perfect scenario ! Gone until December, save your cash for when you return. Best time of year to buy used and cash money talks !!!

Old 07-22-2018, 08:21 AM
CobraRacer
Cruiser
Received 104 Likes on 40 Posts

I personally would only buy a wrecked bike for dirt cheap and just for parts (like a bigger and/or modified engine, and/or upgraded parts etc...).

Unless the rider just locked up the brakes and slid on it's side at a slow speed (5-35mph) I wouldn't buy a wrecked bike to fix it and ride it. I have seen someone buy a friends bike in a situation like that.

Last edited by CobraRacer; 07-22-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:01 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Its an 2015 883 Iron...
Im sure I can get it for 5200ish...
I might buy it for $3500.......might.......but probably not.

For less $$ I am pretty sure you could find a garage Queen 883 with no damage. I will defer to the Sportster guru's but, IMHO, since 2007 an 883 is pretty much an 883. Not a huge incentive to buy any year over any other. Find one better and cheaper.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on buying damaged bike...