General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Example of FUD from a so-called "expert."

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 09:59 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 675 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Example of FUD from a so-called "expert."

I was riding my Sportster down Pacific Coast Highway about 4 years ago, and made a coffee stop at Peet's. Had a nice table right in front of my new Sportster when a guy rode up on a big BMW. It was the first time I'd really been up close to a BMW motorcycle in many years, so I struck up a friendly conversation and complimented the guy on his bike. Turned out that he worked for BMW and had no shortage of opinions about Harleys. Bottom line is that he informed me that within one or two years HD would be coming out with pretty much all water-cooled engines due to EPA emissions standards. He had no doubt about this. He said he'd talked to BMW engineers whose job was to keep an eye on the competition, and this guy had the strong faith of the true believer.
Well, of course a few years later HD came out with the air and oil cooled M8 engine. (I know, some water cooling in a few variants of the M8). Given that HD only comes out with a new engine about every 15 years, I suppose it is safe to say that this "expert" was pretty much dead wrong. For the record my M8 deals with frequent stops in hot summer temperatures very well and runs much cooler than did my 2015 Fat Boy Twin Cam engine (which ran hot, but never had problems either). It would appear that air cooling is here to stay?

Guess it goes to show that there is a lot of Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD) out there, but Harleys remain Harleys. I've noticed that BMW motorcycle owners are kind of odd to talk to when you compliment their bikes. Ran into a different guy at another coffee stop, and I casually complimented him on his bike. He immediately launched into a monolog about the bike's specifications, e.g. horsepower, torque, and so forth. As though I cared; God knows I didn't ask or bring up the subject of specifications. I don't like the way BMWs look, and I don't like the ergonomics/body position, and the top heaviness. Obviously some people like 'em, which is fine by me. I'm really liking my Harley Road King.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:21 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

I like to pull up to BMW riders at traffic lights and say Hi! The reactions are hysterical. They try to act as if nothing is there but I just holler louder. When the light turns green they either just sit there or totally haul ***. The Beemer riders are a different sort for sure.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:56 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,191 Likes on 6,820 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
I like to pull up to BMW riders at traffic lights and say Hi! The reactions are hysterical. They try to act as if nothing is there but I just holler louder. When the light turns green they either just sit there or totally haul ***. The Beemer riders are a different sort for sure.
Ask them if they have the day off.....