General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 oil cooler cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 01:19 PM
ssrifle
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

My 2017 Fltrxs is in the shop for oil cooler repair. The recall on the line clamp had been done previously. The oil cooler itself has been struck by something from the road. Inspecting the bikes(touring) I noticed the cooler on all is placed below the front fender tip leaving the cooling fins exposed to road debris. The recall on the line clamp referred to the oil leak being dangerous to the rider as the oil could make the rear tire lose traction. The same could be said for cooler leaking oil. The CVO 17/18 models has a grille in the cover to assist in preventing the damage. It is very cheap of the #1 builder of motorcycles to omit this on bikes other than the CVO. LET Harley Davidson know. If you have experienced this problem please post your concern. To let you know you can purchase an aftermarket grille from ebay for less than $20. Item #263806415785.

Harley Davidson BACKORDERED the oil cooler. Either it has been a broader problem or bad inventory management. I need my bike back for a rally Wed. It was losing very little oil. Like they stated on the clamp issue recall but not for damage to oil cooler due to cheaper cost. Should be okay to ride until part comes in right?

So the dealer ordered and HD backordered the oil cooler. I told them when I took it in that I thought the leak was where the hose clamps to the fitting on right side front near the brake cylinder. Service stated the recall to the hose clamp had been done. What mechanic would put a spring type clamp on that line? I could take the clamp and spin it w my fingers. Bike still under warranty. I replaced the clamp w a 3/8 fuel line type clamp. Tight space to get into so may be why they used a spring clamp rather than a worm gear or crimp type. Pressure in that oil line could be up to 50 psi, not sure.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-07-2018 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 08-02-2018, 02:04 AM
SAFrog
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree I couldn’t believe they left it wide open like that. I installed the cover it’s built like a brick s**thouse! I ride a lot solo and here in San Antonio TX riding through the hill country there a lots of rocks just waiting to play havoc. Plus I see condensers damaged all the time at work some times it even gets the radiator as well.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:58 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

I ordered the below perforated aluminum sheet, cut and secured the piece behind the perimeter cover. Nice and protected.

Amazon Amazon