General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis 2018 by the numbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 09:26 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,779 Likes on 1,445 Posts

[QUOTE=MiniWolf;17602745]
Originally Posted by Keithhu

Chicago Chicago Chicago

Every time I go through there to get to I-80 from 90, it is just a steady mass of semis filling all lanes. And cars suddenly darting back and forth between lanes to get by the semis. And cars darting out of the toll gate and flying across lanes to get ahead of the semis.

I always contemplate going down to St Louis and taking the Nebraska route just to avoid the causeways. I might try that route next time as Google says its only 85 miles more when its all said and done.

Came thru there Tues evening and like you say the traffic was insane, all you do is keep moving thru and try and survive.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:42 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

More die in one weekend in Chicago from guns than several years of Sturgis related deaths on motorcycles.

The following users liked this post:
Sol-Invictus (08-12-2020)
Old 08-25-2018, 02:58 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
I just got back ...... The riding has just become too crazy. The last two years I have noticed more general dangerous and totally asshat behavior by riders. Most dangerous are the poser billy badass types who trailer their bike out and think they are all hard once they get there . As a general example, one guy on a CVO road glide all decked out from head to toe in fresh gear kept tailgating bikes on iron mountain rd. Blasting his pipes swerving back and forth wanting people to let him go by even though there is a line a half-mile long. Kept passing solid yellow lines around blind corners on the pigtail bridges from three or four bikes back just to get a few bikes ahead. Just the most assinine and totally absurd thing I have ever seen out there so far. Then he would stop at a pullout. Get in line again, and do it all over again. I have no idea if this guy is still alive. Then there is the turning left from the right hand lane when someone decides they are in the wrong lane. Just general stuff like that. People blasting by you in the same lane on 385 and 85 etc... ....

The true bikers are usually the most courteous, friendly and safe ones especially since they understand the lifestyle and have seen the real bad **** and do what they can to help others, even while riding. The fake or weekend bikers are the most dangerous because they are usually trying to emulate what TV and movies stereotype bikers to be, and the culture of the US being more selfish everyday doesn't help.

Originally Posted by Labrador
Sucks that I could not go to Sturgis this year (2018). Seems that LEO was busier last year than this year.
https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...ash/948734002/

See stats from Sturgis' local newspaper below (and there are a few days left to go):

These statistics are not entirely true. I know one guy who got into an accident, his bike totaled and he was in the hospital for a week with 50% of his skin gone. While at the hospital, 2 hours later his riding partner was arrested for DUI. His motorcycle was still at the scene with the wreck since he rode to the hospital in a car of a helpful person. Yes they were drinking in the car on the way to the hospital, but the DUI was not legal when he was 60 miles away from his bike and was not driving for the last 2 hours.
When he went to the impound lot to photograph his bike for record, he said there was over 70 badly damaged motorcycles next to his, and the impound staff told him they were all from just the rally.
Also, I was there and know of 5 motorcycle accident deaths, 3 heart attack deaths, a golf cart death, 2 drug ODs, and an alcohol poisoning death. I was not privy to all that happened either, but I am sure there was more, but the statistics are not entirely accurate.

Originally Posted by victory11
Mid Sept. is a nice time to ride the hills. I wouldn't go to bike week with a gun to my head. I never walk around looking at other bikes because I'm not the least bit interested in some other guy's ride. Riding the hills when there are few bikes is the best.
I am always interested in other peoples rides, but for me motorcycles are a form of art, and personal expression.
And I like building custom bikes.

[QUOTE=Keithhu;17602700]
Originally Posted by MiniWolf

Been to Sturgis 5 of the last 7 years. I ride mine from Michigan, I used to be scornful of those who trailer, but I do understand there are plenty of valid reasons to trailer your bike(s).

I will say I dont like navigating in and around trucks, pickups towing trailers, campers, etc. on the highway. Feel like I'm in a frikin pinball machine.
I agree!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-05-2018 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 08-25-2018, 04:12 PM
ezrydr99
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been riding to the rally for 22 years. There has been many changes and most not for the good. I have camped at various campgrounds and 3 years ago started renting a room in a house. And being 68 y/o I have decided to invest in a trailer. The bones are getting to old to ride.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:55 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,416 Likes on 2,394 Posts

If the wife and I were to ride to Sturgis from here, we would take the Lake Express Ferry to Milwaukee, at 40 knots it scoots across Lake Michigan and no Chicago. Another option, less $$$ is the Badger Ferry (4 hrs. at 18 knots). Again, no Chicago.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:05 PM
ride cc
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I went again this year for the third time, rode from Florida, stayed three days in Hill City (I have stayed there all three times) its central to pretty much everything and the hotel is reasonable. I don't like the camping thing, at the end of a days riding I want a hot shower and a clean bed. I went to downtown Sturgis once for about an hour, its the same stuff you see at Daytona. I go because I like the riding and actually seeing other bikes. For me it did not seem as crowed as usual but that may be because I arrived Tuesday afternoon and left Friday morning . After I left onFriday I continued West through Wyoming then south to Utah before heading back to Florida, I was gone for 16 days covered 14 states and 7,765 miles.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:51 AM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

If you guys don't like the rally then why go ? Everybody knows the traffic is going to be terrible but with half a million people there it's only to be expected !...b.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:55 PM
pnwsurveyor
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the best time riding the Black Hills a month before the rally. Never planning to hit it during.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:19 PM
bassnman
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ride cc
I went again this year for the third time, rode from Florida, stayed three days in Hill City (I have stayed there all three times) its central to pretty much everything and the hotel is reasonable. I don't like the camping thing, at the end of a days riding I want a hot shower and a clean bed. I went to downtown Sturgis once for about an hour, its the same stuff you see at Daytona. I go because I like the riding and actually seeing other bikes. For me it did not seem as crowed as usual but that may be because I arrived Tuesday afternoon and left Friday morning . After I left onFriday I continued West through Wyoming then south to Utah before heading back to Florida, I was gone for 16 days covered 14 states and 7,765 miles.
Ya got us beat !! 16 days 6000mi from NJ, God Bless ya !!!