General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis 2018 by the numbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 09:49 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Sucks that I could not go to Sturgis this year (2018). Seems that LEO was busier last year than this year.
https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...ash/948734002/

See stats from Sturgis' local newspaper below (and there are a few days left to go):

Seems that people can't handle the curves at Sturgis:

Tuesday Injury Crashes:

At 10:42 a.m. Tuesday, Intestate 90, mile marker 45, Piedmont: A motorcycle was eastbound on Interstate 90 when the back tire blew out, causing the driver to lose control. The driver was thrown from the motorcycle. The male driver, 63, received minor injuries. The female passenger, no age listed, was not injured. Both were wearing helmets.

At 11:46 a.m. Tuesday, South Dakota Highway 79, mile marker 69, five miles south of Rapid City: A 2003 Mazda Tribeca was northbound in the passing lane on South Dakota 79 when the driver oversteered, colliding with the trailer of a 2009 Red Freightliner Conventional semi truck. The female driver of the Tribeca, 28, received minor injuries while a juvenile female passenger was not injured. The 38-year-old male driver of the semi was not injured. Everyone was wearing seatbelts.

At 11:50 a.m. Tuesday, Nemo Road, four miles west of Nemo: A motorcycle was traveling northwest on Nemo Road when the male driver failed to negotiate a curve. The motorcycle went off the roadway and down a steep hill. The male driver, 51, was thrown from the motorcycle and suffered serious non-life threatening injuries. He was wearing a helmet.

At 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, U.S. Highway 385, mile marker 109, 13 miles south of Deadwood: The female passenger on a motorcycle fainted and fell off the moving motorcycle. The passenger, 27, received minor injuries. She was wearing a helmet. The male driver, 33, was not injured. He was not wearing a helmet.

At 12:47 p.m. Tuesday, U.S. Highway 16A, mile marker 55, two miles south of Keystone: A motorcycle was westbound when the motorcycle, while going around a curve, crossed the centerline and collided with two eastbound motorcycles. All three drivers were thrown from their motorcycles and all suffered minor injuries. None were wearing helmets.

At 2:31 p.m. Tuesday, South Dakota Highway 40, mile marker 43, eight miles west of Hermosa: A motorcycle was westbound on South Dakota Highway 40 when the female driver applied the brakes to avoid a motorcycle-deer collision that was in front of her, causing her motorcycle to slide. The female driver, 62, received minor injuries. She was not wearing a helmet.

At 3:52 p.m. Tuesday, South Dakota Highway 244, mile marker 32, 2½ miles west of Keystone: A motorcycle was eastbound when the male driver failed to negotiate a curve and hit the guard rail. The driver, 51, fell over the guard rail and 80 feet down a cliff. The driver suffered serious non-life threatening injuries. He was wearing a helmet.

At 5:22 p.m. Tuesday, South Dakota Highway 79, mile marker 38, three miles north of Buffalo Gap: A motorcycle was northbound on South Dakota Highway 79 when the male driver, 46, failed to negotiate a curve. The motorcycle entered the median and tipped over. The driver suffered minor injuries. He was wearing a helmet.

At 8:14 p.m. Tuesday, South Dakota Highway 36, mile marker 36, 10 miles west of Hermosa: A motorcycle was eastbound on South Dakota Highway 36 when it collided with a deer that had entered the roadway. The male driver, 68, was thrown from the motorcycle when it went into the ditch. The driver, who was wearing a helmet, sustained minor injuries.

At 8:38 p.m. Tuesday, Sheridan Lake Road, eight miles southwest of Rapid City: A motorcycle was westbound when the driver failed to negotiate a turn, causing the motorcycle to roll.The male driver, 38, suffered serious non-life threatening injuries. He was not wearing a helmet.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-22-2018 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Labrador:
nibroc (08-14-2018), Toolmaster (08-25-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 10:29 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

I just got back last night. Tent camped at Katmandu. The first night there--Friday, my tent was gone when I got back to the camp at night. There was a heavy thunderstorm with very high winds and it blew the whole tent up near the fence by the railroad tracks. I got help from the great staff there to help me gather all of it in the pouring rain,

I have to say though that this is my last time going to the rally during the week of the event. The riding has just become too crazy. The last two years I have noticed more general dangerous and totally asshat behavior by riders. Most dangerous are the poser billy badass types who trailer their bike out and think they are all hard once they get there . As a general example, one guy on a CVO road glide all decked out from head to toe in fresh gear kept tailgating bikes on iron mountain rd. Blasting his pipes swerving back and forth wanting people to let him go by even though there is a line a half-mile long. Kept passing solid yellow lines around blind corners on the pigtail bridges from three or four bikes back just to get a few bikes ahead. Just the most assinine and totally absurd thing I have ever seen out there so far. Then he would stop at a pullout. Get in line again, and do it all over again. I have no idea if this guy is still alive. Then there is the turning left from the right hand lane when someone decides they are in the wrong lane. Just general stuff like that. People blasting by you in the same lane on 385 and 85 etc...Getting too dangerous for my tastes. Will be going the week before or after from now on when its less on the roads but still vendors and some other things still around. Had enough of the crowds. But it still is awesome riding and outside of MT and WY, the best scenery you can find IMO.

Originally Posted by Labrador
Seems that people can't handle the curves at Sturgis:

Tuesday Injury Crashes:

At 10:42 a.m. Tuesday, Intestate 90, mile marker 45, Piedmont: A motorcycle was eastbound on Interstate 90 when the back tire blew out, causing the driver to lose control. The driver was thrown from the motorcycle. The male driver, 63, received minor injuries. The female passenger, no age listed, was not injured. Both were wearing helmets.

At 11:46 a.m. Tuesday, South Dakota Highway 79, mile marker 69, five miles south of Rapid City: A 2003 Mazda Tribeca was northbound in the passing lane on South Dakota 79 when the driver oversteered, colliding with the trailer of a 2009 Red Freightliner Conventional semi truck. The female driver of the Tribeca, 28, received minor injuries while a juvenile female passenger was not injured. The 38-year-old male driver of the semi was not injured. Everyone was wearing seatbelts.

At 11:50 a.m. Tuesday, Nemo Road, four miles west of Nemo: A motorcycle was traveling northwest on Nemo Road when the male driver failed to negotiate a curve. The motorcycle went off the roadway and down a steep hill. The male driver, 51, was thrown from the motorcycle and suffered serious non-life threatening injuries. He was wearing a helmet.

At 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, U.S. Highway 385, mile marker 109, 13 miles south of Deadwood: The female passenger on a motorcycle fainted and fell off the moving motorcycle. The passenger, 27, received minor injuries. She was wearing a helmet. The male driver, 33, was not injured. He was not wearing a helmet.

At 12:47 p.m. Tuesday, U.S. Highway 16A, mile marker 55, two miles south of Keystone: A motorcycle was westbound when the motorcycle, while going around a curve, crossed the centerline and collided with two eastbound motorcycles. All three drivers were thrown from their motorcycles and all suffered minor injuries. None were wearing helmets.

At 2:31 p.m. Tuesday, South Dakota Highway 40, mile marker 43, eight miles west of Hermosa: A motorcycle was westbound on South Dakota Highway 40 when the female driver applied the brakes to avoid a motorcycle-deer collision that was in front of her, causing her motorcycle to slide. The female driver, 62, received minor injuries. She was not wearing a helmet.

At 3:52 p.m. Tuesday, South Dakota Highway 244, mile marker 32, 2½ miles west of Keystone: A motorcycle was eastbound when the male driver failed to negotiate a curve and hit the guard rail. The driver, 51, fell over the guard rail and 80 feet down a cliff. The driver suffered serious non-life threatening injuries. He was wearing a helmet.

At 5:22 p.m. Tuesday, South Dakota Highway 79, mile marker 38, three miles north of Buffalo Gap: A motorcycle was northbound on South Dakota Highway 79 when the male driver, 46, failed to negotiate a curve. The motorcycle entered the median and tipped over. The driver suffered minor injuries. He was wearing a helmet.

At 8:14 p.m. Tuesday, South Dakota Highway 36, mile marker 36, 10 miles west of Hermosa: A motorcycle was eastbound on South Dakota Highway 36 when it collided with a deer that had entered the roadway. The male driver, 68, was thrown from the motorcycle when it went into the ditch. The driver, who was wearing a helmet, sustained minor injuries.

At 8:38 p.m. Tuesday, Sheridan Lake Road, eight miles southwest of Rapid City: A motorcycle was westbound when the driver failed to negotiate a turn, causing the motorcycle to roll.The male driver, 38, suffered serious non-life threatening injuries. He was not wearing a helmet.

I think I saw the scene at 12:30 on 385. Was heading to Custer from Deadwood. Was a backup and an ambulance and a couple LEO and a general crowd milling around. The lady fainting was probably due to dehydration or heat issue. It was hot as hades on Tuesday and being out in the sun all day can really wear you down and dehydrate you quickly. I ditched the modular for the half helmet on Tuesday it was so hot. Couldnt stand the heat with the FF on.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-22-2018 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
The following 2 users liked this post by MiniWolf:
BBM (08-11-2018), heavymetalthunder (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
I just got back last night. Tent camped at Katmandu. The first night there--Friday, my tent was gone when I got back to the camp at night. There was a heavy thunderstorm with very high winds and it blew the whole tent up near the fence by the railroad tracks. I got help from the great staff there to help me gather all of it in the pouring rain,

I have to say though that this is my last time going to the rally during the week of the event. The riding has just become too crazy. The last two years I have noticed more general dangerous and totally asshat behavior by riders. Most dangerous are the poser billy badass types who trailer their bike out and think they are all hard once they get there . As a general example, one guy on a CVO road glide all decked out from head to toe in fresh gear kept tailgating bikes on iron mountain rd. Blasting his pipes swerving back and forth wanting people to let him go by even though there is a line a half-mile long. Kept passing solid yellow lines around blind corners on the pigtail bridges from three or four bikes back just to get a few bikes ahead. Just the most assinine and totally absurd thing I have ever seen out there so far. Then he would stop at a pullout. Get in line again, and do it all over again. I have no idea if this guy is still alive. Then there is the turning left from the right hand lane when someone decides they are in the wrong lane. Just general stuff like that. People blasting by you in the same lane on 385 and 85 etc...Getting too dangerous for my tastes. Will be going the week before or after from now on when its less on the roads but still vendors and some other things still around. Had enough of the crowds. But it still is awesome riding and outside of MT and WY, the best scenery you can find IMO.
All it takes is one a-hole to ruin it for everyone. I've always wondered if these idiots are on drugs or something. I am glad that you made it back safe.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:08 AM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by Labrador
All it takes is one a-hole to ruin it for everyone. I've always wondered if these idiots are on drugs or something. I am glad that you made it back safe.
Not on drugs. Just show-boating. I think some people go out there(especially someone going for the first time) and think they need to put on some kind of attitude of being hard or something. The majority of riders you encounter respect everyone else and are just themselves. But its these types that do ruin the experience. I just look at it like, I personally don't care how anyone else rides if it's just their own life at stake, People that do that kind of stuff don't understand or dont care that you are putting other's lives at great risk by doing that kind of stuff in a crowd of riders like that,. Doesnt matter your skill level. You have no idea whats around a blind corner. Russian roulette. Downtown, there is a Hells Angels presence on main street and even these guys are laughing and shaking their heads at these types. As riders go by their storefront, some will start blasting their pipes and stuff like that, obviously thinking this will make some statement they are hard. But you can hear them bust out laughing and say stuff like, 'What an *******.' Well send an ambulance'

Old 08-10-2018, 11:30 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 788 Posts

I'm constantly asked if I've gone or if I will go to Sturgis. I don't do well with crowds on or off the bike, and these statistics are a big reason why I won't go.

The following users liked this post:
mitchxout (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 12:13 PM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Great place to ride in September.

The following 3 users liked this post by kap1:
mitchxout (08-10-2018), sledhead_2002 (08-13-2018), Toolmaster (08-25-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 12:49 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
I'm constantly asked if I've gone or if I will go to Sturgis. I don't do well with crowds on or off the bike, and these statistics are a big reason why I won't go.

Also need to keep it in perspective. Folks like me will report on the negatives but there are plenty of good riders there who are respectful. I just have grown tired of the crowds overall. You can go and have a good time. You just need to pick the right hours for certain rides. For example, try riding needles highway mid-afternoon, mid-week, it's going to be jam packed with frequent stop and go at spots and very possibly 5-15 minute waits at bottleneck places like the tunnels etc..And if someone does something like stalls their bike in front of you from a stop on an incline(happens a lot), you need to be sure there is plenty of space. Its really just about keeping aware and keeping space and riding these areas early in the morning.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:13 PM
victory11
Road Warrior
Received 700 Likes on 399 Posts

Mid Sept. is a nice time to ride the hills. I wouldn't go to bike week with a gun to my head. I never walk around looking at other bikes because I'm not the least bit interested in some other guy's ride. Riding the hills when there are few bikes is the best.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,536 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by victory11
Mid Sept. is a nice time to ride the hills. I wouldn't go to bike week with a gun to my head. I never walk around looking at other bikes because I'm not the least bit interested in some other guy's ride. Riding the hills when there are few bikes is the best.
Interesting. That's the main reason I go during the rally, to look at bikes.

The following 2 users liked this post by Crazy:
mitchxout (08-10-2018), mrmarklin (08-12-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Dwebber18
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Right there with you, people at work ask if I have ever thought about going. I can quickly answer no because I have no desire to pay that much money to spend time with people I don't care about who are doing things that frustrate me.

The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (08-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Sturgis 2018 by the numbers