General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who hasn't dropped their bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,319 Likes on 5,423 Posts

QUOTE=Back-n-Black;17598918]
Does that count...
[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
. Does that count?
If you picked the bike up off the ground...it counts.

I had my starter start cranking while driving down the road...and while fiddling with it forgot the kickstand...

​​​​​​​I have had several times at bike rallies that I would have dropped it in the mud...but people near me helped stop it.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
If only they'd put a brake on the rear wheel...
No, you are wrong. A hard brake on the rear wheel in that situation and you will still likely go down. You're just wrong. Go out and try it. Then report back.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:18 AM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,664 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I haven't. Will I? Who knows. Maybe, maybe not. I've come close to tipping over at a stand still a few because I wasn't paying attention but somehow I've always managed to recover.

Dont over think it. Do what you can to be a proficient rider and have fun. Some things are unavoidable. I've never heard "There are two types of drivers in the world, those who have crashed and those that will" related to cars... I dont get why people get so fixated on that when it comes to bikes. Maybe it's just an easy way to explain why you crashed... "It was bound to happen. It happens to everybody who rides at least once."

Old 08-16-2018, 09:22 AM
HarleyD1929
Tourer
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
But the “hot” doughnut light was on! Totally justifiable in this circumstance.
Krispy Kreme.. Mmmm...!! Hot and fresh...

The following users liked this post:
BigDawgQC (08-19-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:51 AM
thunderfootblue
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've flopped about every bike I've owned, except for my 750 Honda. Not sure if I should count the springer, as it didn't go over completely. It was held up by the left side foot board, which was crushing my ankle.

Ouch!

Old 08-16-2018, 10:30 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Had two incidents - one, I was not even on the bike. It was parked on gravel, and just went over. My bad. Another time, I was stopped in the road, sitting on the bike, trying to move an errant trash can out of the road. As I heaved the can to the side of the road, I lost balance and went over onto the engine guard. My bad, again. Oh, does it count that the first time I ever rode a bike (back in the 60s on a Tote-Goat), I ran right into a barbed wire fence? Didn't drop the bike, so I guess that doesn't count.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:39 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderfootblue
I've flopped about every bike I've owned, except for my 750 Honda. Not sure if I should count the springer, as it didn't go over completely. It was held up by the left side foot board, which was crushing my ankle.

Ouch!
I actually witnessed that happen to a guy while participating in bike games. He dropped his Heritage and the footboard fractured his ankle.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:01 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Bought my Cherry in October last year. First bike in along time. Take it out of the showroom and did laps in the parking lot to get reaquainted with riding and this new heavy (to me) bike. More to this story, but... the worst part was my Lady was waiting for me. Pulled up in front of her, shut the bike down, kicked the "JIFFY" stand down and prodeeded to get off when the next thing I knew, I, with the bike on top, am laying flat on the ground. No engine guard installed yet. Brand new helmet smacked the ground pretty hard...glad I was wearing it or I could have had a bad head injury. Pants pocket had a hard eyeglass case in it and naturally that is what was between the ground and my leg...very sore spot in my thigh for quite a few days. Needed help from two guys who came running over, to get it back up. Only slight damage to the trim ring on the passing lamp but a lot of damage to my ego.

On my bikes in the past, all you had do was kick the stand down and get off...no concerns. The new softail "JIFFY" stands doesn't lock in very well unless you kick them forward real good and pull the bike back when setting the bike onto the stand.. I'm not the only new softail owner who has had a problem with the stand and have either dropped, or nearly dropped, their bike. Lots of stories in the Softail Section threads.

Oh, and BTW, a few days later getting ready to take the bike back over to the dealer to have the engine guard installed, attempting to turn the bike around in my driveway (engine not even started yet), got the front wheel turned way too much and touched the front brake...you all know what happened, but this time I was just able to step off. Again nothing hurt but my pride.

It was a bear in the beginning and it took a while but I finally learned how to move the bike around with out nearly dropping it.

Can't promise it won't get dropped again, but now have over 3K miles with no drops since. Even managed to keep her up when I got committed to a soft sand road that I could not stop on to turn around that went on for over eight miles.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:14 AM
LJLKRL05
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
The only time I've dropped my Harley was exiting a parking lot. My front tire was turned to the right, anticipating turning, then a car came out of nowhere and I had to hit the brake. Down I went. Fortunately I was only going a few MPH. But the lesson, as most/all of us know, is that if you hit the brakes with the front wheel not straight, you likely go down. Thankfully the engine guard kept the bike at about a 90 degree angle and I got not a scratch on the bike, or on my manly bod. But I learned my lesson -- when exiting a parking lot or other similar situations, keep the darned front wheel straight until and unless you are sure you can complete the turn.
Same thing here, except I was turning left. Was surprised and pleased how well the front lowers and bag guards held it up. Felt like an idiot having to get my book out of the tourpack to figure out how to get it started again, but now I know.
I never dropped my Honda VTX though. Much lighter bike and lower to the ground though.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:29 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyD1929
Krispy Kreme.. Mmmm...!! Hot and fresh...
Exactly!

Quick Reply: Who hasn't dropped their bike?