General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley intern racks up 8000 miles this summer

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 06:15 PM
Johnny Mayday
HDF Town Crier
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Harley intern racks up 8000 miles this summer

Who knows whether this campaign will actually convince young people to get on bikes? I'm not really that optimistic. But that said, an internship that involves riding a Harley around all summer sounds like a hell of a gig. Apparently Tessa Otto has racked up over 8000 miles already! I wish I had that kind of time to spend on a bike. More details here.

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnny Mayday:
J_MOSH (08-24-2018), SimonR (08-25-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 10:56 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,381 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Only 8000? If I was given a Harley to ride, I'd have way more than 8000 miles on it ... Especially if HD was taking care of the service.

But good for the intern.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:26 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

5 days a week for 12 weeks, 8k miles is only 133 miles a day. Not saying bad, but not saying a big deal. Less than 3 hours a day. Now if other 5 are drinking and chasing women, than pretty good. Or afternoon nap.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:54 PM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior
Received 935 Likes on 500 Posts

Didn't read the story or watch the vid? She did 8,000 in 5 weeks. So yah probably no iron but days but thats a decent run for someone with little experience. This type of "marketing" and that is what this is may actually be what the company needs to start bringing younger riders into the game its a win. The potential returns on just handing over a ride to a pretty girl with good social media presence is probably more economical than TV and print ads that only see their way to folks who are already in the flock.

Cool story mayday. Keep your threads coming. Much better than the off point stereotypical drivel put out by other writers.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny Mayday (08-27-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 01:15 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't know what any of this means. When I was young,,, a new bike and a chance to be a flash in the pan. I know I would have been in if there was no strings attached. I rode worn out motorcycles and drove beat to death cars all over the USA from 17 to 34 years old. I know these helicopter parent raised kids are special.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:27 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday

Who knows whether this campaign will actually convince young people to get on bikes? I'm not really that optimistic. But that said, an internship that involves riding a Harley around all summer sounds like a hell of a gig. Apparently Tessa Otto has racked up over 8000 miles already! I wish I had that kind of time to spend on a bike. More details here.
Good for her, I hope she brings as many of her peers to riding as she can. The ones she can't won't know what hey are missing.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:58 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,018 Likes on 2,821 Posts

8,000 miles in five weeks is pretty good for as new rider. Hell, I bet theres some "seasoned veteran" rider on here that don't do that in two years! Wonder what happened to the other seven?

Old 08-25-2018, 04:38 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Looks like some folks here were eager to comment without reading or looking into the details. From what I saw she was given a bike around June 18 and the interview for this story done in Sturgis. she said she had done 8K miles in 5-6 weeks. At six weeks 8K miles means 1,333 miles a week over a year thats a bit more than 69K miles. I really have to wonder how many miles a year the posters above who commented that 8K really was not a lot of miles are doing on their bikes? Id be willing to bet they are not doing 8K miles in 5 weeks.

To top it off she has ridden cross country to the West coast as well as been fortunate enough to ride to Sturgis with her dad. I don't know about anyone else here but I am really impressed with the miles she has put on, thats a lot of miles for any rider much less for a new rider.

Personally I have no idea if this campaign will bring new riders to HD but to have a young female ambassador on the road on her HD interacting with others her age and sharing a love of 2 wheels and HD sounds like a good thing to me. Id like to congratulate the young lady on a job well done representing HD and on putting in those miles

The following 8 users liked this post by Mxdad:
17VelRedSGS (08-25-2018), Hey Man (08-25-2018), Huskers (08-25-2018), jlb2782 (08-25-2018), Rick48 (08-25-2018), SBRob (08-25-2018), skid_pimp (08-25-2018), Uncle Larry (08-25-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-25-2018, 05:41 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
Looks like some folks here were eager to comment without reading or looking into the details. From what I saw she was given a bike around June 18 and the interview for this story done in Sturgis. she said she had done 8K miles in 5-6 weeks. At six weeks 8K miles means 1,333 miles a week over a year thats a bit more than 69K miles. I really have to wonder how many miles a year the posters above who commented that 8K really was not a lot of miles are doing on their bikes? Id be willing to bet they are not doing 8K miles in 5 weeks.

To top it off she has ridden cross country to the West coast as well as been fortunate enough to ride to Sturgis with her dad. I don't know about anyone else here but I am really impressed with the miles she has put on, thats a lot of miles for any rider much less for a new rider.

Personally I have no idea if this campaign will bring new riders to HD but to have a young female ambassador on the road on her HD interacting with others her age and sharing a love of 2 wheels and HD sounds like a good thing to me. Id like to congratulate the young lady on a job well done representing HD and on putting in those miles
Agreed wholeheartedly.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:56 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

8k in 5 weeks is impressive. I've only managed 2.5k in 8 weeks, but i'm on emergency call every other week, so i only get to ride on my short commute on those weeks. Even so, i'd still be hard pushed to rack up 8k if i was riding every evening and weekend in that time.

Quick Reply: Harley intern racks up 8000 miles this summer