General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan install

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:45 AM
DrPAPA
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan install

The cooling fan kit (H-D Part # 91550-00c) is only intended for touring models. Why can't it be installed on a Softail?

I ride a 2006 FLSTC in the LA area and the traffic is ugly. My oil temp regularly gets up to 270. Even "splitting lanes" I sometimes have to get off of the freeway to let the engine cool down, because it will be running rough.

I am open to thoughts. I just can't afford a $380.00 part that won't work.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:06 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Cooling fan install

ORIGINAL: DrPAPA

The cooling fan kit (H-D Part # 91550-00c) is only intended for touring models. Why can't it be installed on a Softail?

I ride a 2006 FLSTC in the LA area and the traffic is ugly. My oil temp regularly gets up to 270. Even "splitting lanes" I sometimes have to get off of the freeway to let the engine cool down, because it will be running rough.

If you haven't already switch to synthetic. It will help.

The fan looks like it mounts to the head bolts. Looks like the bottom bracket mounts to the primary cover bolt. You would probably at the worst have to remake the brackets. It says Twin Cam and 1340 engines.

You know you can mount an oil cooler and get anywhere from 20º to 25º engine oil temp drop.

Before I would spend that much for a fan i would look into the coolers. I have one on my Low Rider. It is a billet aluminum from Wimmer. It uses the Jagg temp controlled oil adapter. Easy to install. The adapter goes under the oil filter.

I haven't tried it but if you have a crash bar. You drill the end plates of the bar and mount oil fittings in the ends. It uses the bar as a cooler. there are folks that swear by it.

Here is my setup. Several days this week in Memphis it was in the high 90's. My temp did not go over 210º.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:25 PM
thelawdoc
Tourer

OK, but you have to be moving for the oil cooler to work. In LA traffic, the fan might be the better solution. An oil cooler will do nothing in a traffic jam or bumper to bumper traffic. And that oil cooler must be put on correctly or you will end up with the problems mentioned by others who screwed it up.

Also, why do you think that 270 means you have to get off the road? The '06 engine is smaller than the '07. I know your legs are hot, but that engine can deal with 270 for sure, IMO.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:44 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

ORIGINAL: thelawdoc

OK, but you have to be moving for the oil cooler to work. In LA traffic, the fan might be the better solution. An oil cooler will do nothing in a traffic jam or bumper to bumper traffic. And that oil cooler must be put on correctly or you will end up with the problems mentioned by others who screwed it up.

Also, why do you think that 270 means you have to get off the road? The '06 engine is smaller than the '07. I know your legs are hot, but that engine can deal with 270 for sure, IMO.
A radiator type yea. But a billet aluminum will radiate reguardless. Air flow over it will increase the transfer.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

maybe you could buy 1 on e-bay and save money. I bet someone can make it work, maybe a real thinker

Old 06-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: DrPAPA

After overheating in a couple of traffic jams in the last few weeks, I am seriously considering one of these. Super easy install, and looks a hell of a lot better than the harley kit, IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cooli...QQcmdZViewItem

Note: If you click on sellers other items link, this guy has also sells a nice looking fan driven oil cooler setup.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:00 PM
06DEUCE
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i seen thefans on ebay that install in the horn location.with the horn. looks cool!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:09 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain

The HD cooling fan kit may draw more electrical current than the Softail charging system is designed to handle, the touring bike have larger alternatorsand the electrical harness will not have the engine management circuits to activate the fan that the touring bike have. Psycho's suggestion may be a good compromise and the oil cooler regardless of design will add to the bike's oil cooling efficiency regardless of design. Whether it is enough to resolve you concerns is open for debate.

Good Luck,
FBL

Old 06-30-2007, 06:49 PM
blackbob
Tourer

I think you are ok at 270, I would worry about it from 290 and up.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:22 PM
spike95
Road Master

We never heard if you're using synthetic or not??????

Quick Reply: Cooling fan install