General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for Harley Riders on the Dragon/ pissing matches

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 03:00 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Haarley
I come to Knoxville because I can drive the way I want on very special roads. I stay in hotels and visit the local shops. I have windy country roads at home. If the Dragon turns into just another country road, I'll stay home or maybe head for Mulholland or Ortega.

I've done that. I've pulled over and waited and waited and waited. After I've waited and waited and waited, I head back out on course, and within a mile, or so, maybe two, I'm back on the same guy.

Or, I'll sit at one of the ends and wait and wait and wait for an obviously slow vehicle to get a good head start. Inevitably, I catch them. I've never not caught someone who looked slow going in.

How long do I have to wait? People come from all over to ride that road, spending a lot of money to get to there. Just use the pull-offs.

P.S. It's funny that someone brought up Killboy. One of the very few times I've had to let a car go by (three times, I think) was a morning when a Killboy tuner car was screaming to his photo site.
I read this thread (and am now "subscribed") merely to see how deep a hole this genius was going to dig for himself. I'd say right about here is where he switched from a shovel to a backhoe.

The following 2 users liked this post by sailmotion:
Dirty Harry (09-05-2018), GalvTexGuy (09-15-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 05:13 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

No doubt the OP is trolling. But I have to admit that trolls spice things up now and then and reading inane troll posts is more interesting than following fights about where to put a gas cap or the humiliation of not having a wave returned.

The following 2 users liked this post by MiniWolf:
Dirty Harry (09-05-2018), shorelasHD (09-09-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Nothing good comes out of people who use roads as their personal race tracks. Either someone is going to get killed or the authorities will do something stupid like put road bumps to reduce traffic speed. At least that is what they have done here to control traffic where people have complained about traffic moving too fast.

Here in Illinois you can get a class A misdemeanor (one step below a felony) and up to a 1 year in jail for driving the speeds that the OP is saying that he drives. Are they fair? ask the survivors of the individual that you just killed by your reckless driving if it is fair.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:47 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,958 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Real rules are what actually happens. Join the real world. This weekend, I closed in a hurry on a new Vette. He was moping along, but when he saw me back there in a flash, he really picked up his pace, which was fine. I could tell he was uncomfortable at those speeds, but he went fast enough.

Better idea. You run the Dragon in that very nice car and post a run. I'll then hop in it and lower your time and show you what your car can do when a real man drives it.

For all I know, you may be that slow driver ruining everyone's day by moping along.
First part shows you know nothing about the Dragon. None of the fast drivers show up on the Dragon on a week end. Way to much traffic on the week end. Heck Monday and Friday still have to much traffic. If you wan to go fast, you go very early in the morning mid week.

Again, I told you I do not race on the Dragon. I am much smarter than that. I also have way to much to loose by getting caught street racing. Why to much can go wrong street racing, half the people going the other way on the dragon can not even stay in their Lane. I have offered you a choice of road course tracks where I am more than willing to race you. I'm sure you do not want to go to a track, because you are not a racer.

Originally Posted by vpnwiz
You think you're "racing" because you're driving the Dragon? You clearly have zero clue what REAL racing, or real "racing etiquette" is. Racing is a sport of aggression where you do everything in your power to get past the car in front, or stay in the lead if you have it. I've been racing competitively for over 10 years - closed road courses, wheel to wheel, caged cars, not street legal, etc etc. I also instruct intermediate to advanced drivers that want to graduate to racing. Driving fast on a public road isn't the problem here. Your attitude is.

You define the "FLAT OUT" stereotype - the guy that shows up to a track day with a GT-R, or Lotus Exige, or Porsche GT3 and thinks everyone needs to get out of his way.. when he's not even fast. Worst part is when they stuff it into the wall because the drivers ego outran his talent. Seen way too many really expensive cars twisted up because of that. Calling yourself fast doesn't make it real, buddy. BTW... if you ever want to go fast for real, I invite you to come out to Mid Ohio. It's not expensive, couple hundred bucks or so for the day. Heck, I might even help you go faster - if you're open to it. But in my experience, people that present themselves the way you are in this thread have never been open to taking advice... they just want to go flat out! hahaha Watch the video for your cameo appearance!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8
I bet there is no way he will take you up on your offer. At best I am an intermediate driver. I have had a bit of track instruction both HPDE instruction, Also at the NCM track in KY, and have been to Ron Fellows Corvette shcool twice, and am singed up for a 3rd time this spring.

He however knows it all! Obviously there is no better driver than him, especially not on the Dragon

Old 09-05-2018, 10:43 PM
vpnwiz
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
I bet there is no way he will take you up on your offer. At best I am an intermediate driver. I have had a bit of track instruction both HPDE instruction, Also at the NCM track in KY, and have been to Ron Fellows Corvette shcool twice, and am singed up for a 3rd time this spring.
Sounds like you have had some awesome track time! I'm on the fence about attending NCM at the end of Oct with NASA, but if you register, I will be there! Even if you're HPDE 2/3/4. Look me up, my email is my username @ gmail Totally love NCM! Did an enduro there with AER earlier this year. What an awesome track.

PS - that was a genuine offer to Haarley. But I do not expect him to take me up on it. Unfortunate, but true.

The following users liked this post:
FLSTFI Dave (09-07-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 03:10 AM
klap
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 122 Posts

now ya know why you got more than one roofing nail in your cage tires at the same time..

Old 09-06-2018, 05:29 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

I was much faster than him, and all he was doing was putting his lady at risk. After several corners of scraping, he pulled over and let me by. Smart move.
You would have seen the 5/8" ball bearings that I carry in my vest.... Quick driving like an ***....

Old 09-06-2018, 06:40 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Either the OP is a Troll and should be ignored or is an idiot who should be patted on the head and ignored

crazytown (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 08:11 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Here's some real tips:
  • Use common sense!
  • Ride within the legal limits!
  • Ride within your own skill set!
  • Never tailgate! (if someone is going to slow, ride at their speed until it is safe to pass.)
  • Pay attention to the yellow line. A broken line indicates a passing zone!
  • If your crossing the yellow line, your going to fast! Slow down! Again, ride within your own skill set!
  • In blind curves, move to the outermost lane! You never know what is coming around that curve and they may be over the solid yellow line!
  • Feel free to add to the list!
Add bullets or numbers or any semblance of a list will be lost!

Last edited by Bonnie Storm; 09-06-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:42 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
Here's some real tips:
  • Use common sense!
  • Ride within the legal limits!
  • Ride within your own skill set!
  • Never tailgate! (if someone is going to slow, ride at their speed until it is safe to pass.)
  • Pay attention to the yellow line. A broken line indicates a passing zone!
  • If your crossing the yellow line, your going to fast! Slow down! Again, ride within your own skill set!
  • In blind curves, move to the outermost lane! You never know what is coming around that curve and they may be over the solid yellow line!
  • Feel free to add to the list!
Add bullets or numbers or any semblance of a list will be lost!
I'm guessing that more then 1 of us on this thread would be happy to "add bullets" [9mm - .45 ACP] to the OP.

Bonnie Storm (09-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Tips for Harley Riders on the Dragon/ pissing matches