General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is pulling a fifth wheel toy hauler ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 AM
auburntsts
Cruiser

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

FWIW I've spent a fair amount of time researching toy hauler models and trucks. What I've gathered is the truck axle and engine configuration choice seems to be driven by your towing mission -- IOW GVW, frequency, and terrain. Tow only a few times a year on relatively flat terrain and the truck is more of a daily driver, then a gas SRW can make since. Plan to tow something heavy, a lot, and/or in mountainous terrain then diesel/DRW becomes basically mandatory. Of course there's lot of other variables like suspension, box size, resale value, etc that factor into the ultimate decision.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:03 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
No matter what they say...a 1500 truck is not capable of safely pulling an 18k 5th wheel...get in the mountains and get ready to do 15mph

The main reason a DRW is better is safety during a blowout...have a blowout doing 70 with a SRW and you may find yourself upside down in a ditch.

Diesels are nice...but unless you are really using it a lot...it may never pay for itself...but it will defiantly have better resale value.

I hate dealing with trailers and love my class a toy hauler.
Completely agree on the 1500 comments. DRW also gives you a considerable amount more stability towing a large camper in heavy cross winds. Not sure if you plan on trucking through any states where you'll be dealing with that... but you would appreciate the stability if you are.

If you're considering a 2500 for the sole reason of not wanting a dually, you might as well get a 3500 SRW. Depending on how heavy your camper actually is anyways. Some extra support is always nice.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (09-17-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 04:12 PM
DROD13
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Diesel no doubt. 1500 Gas is not an option.

I have a Ford F450. I Pull 5th wheel and wouldn't do it without the dually. Yes you "CAN" pull without the dually but in windy conditions or wet you're losing needed stability from the dual real wheels.

As far as length of the Toy Hauler goes. It depends what you're going to use it for.

For instance I race sport bikes at the race track and let friends sleep in my camper. Having the rear happijack bed allows for room for other guests. Its going to be hard to fit more than 2 Harleys in the garage unless you get a massive garage area. Some have 18' garages where you could fit 4 Harleys feasibly. But if friends or family meet you and you want them to be able to stay with you then you should consider this.

Toy haulers have options to get 2 bathrooms. One shower but two toilets. I've always thought this was overkill but if you have a germ phobia or something this could benefit you. Or if you have a million kids etc.

Where do you plan on taking the camper to? Do you plan on using the camper to stay in a lot? or will you be out and about doing things and just sleeping in the camper?

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (09-17-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 06:49 PM
eglide_vt
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

I’ve been considering same type of setup for a while as well. Retiring in a couple of years. I think the wife and I have settled on a used class A diesel pusher. 2005 range with 50,000 miles can be had for about $40k. We will flat tow a pickup with bike in the bed.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:14 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

No matter what they say...a 1500 truck is not capable of safely pulling an 18k 5th wheel...get in the mountains and get ready to do 15mph
The main reason a DRW is better is safety during a blowout...have a blowout doing 70 with a SRW and you may find yourself upside down in a ditch.
Diesels are nice...but unless you are really using it a lot...it may never pay for itself...but it will defiantly have better resale value.
I hate dealing with trailers and love my class a toy hauler.
Ok, just to clarify, I was talking about 1500/2500/3500 diesel. Was NOT talking about regular gas, for ANY of them. ALL of them have the same 6.3 diesel engine, and ALL have the same towing capacity, so it seems that the main reason for going with the "bigger" truck is mostly stability, partly due to the weight of the truck itself, and possibly the dual rear wheels. Now, the wife SAYS she's driven DRW trucks before, but I've never driven a DRW truck before, so I would rather not take a chance, and I'd rather have a truck that's not going to be a PITA to drive, by itself, for BOTH of us. I've seen WAY too many DRW trucks with the rear wheel wells cracked and broken, and I don't want to be one of them.

Since the toy hauler is something the wife wants to actually "live" in, having it be our only "home" for some time, including the time it will take to build our "tiny house", I think 2 bathrooms would be nice. As for the garage, it would need to handle at least 2 cruisers (currently have 1 Harley and 1 smaller 600cc Honda cruiser), but the wife WANTS a trike, so IF we could get a toy hauler that can handle 2 side-by-sides,that would be best, though I'm sure that will also jack up the price quite a bit. Since it will be our main "home", though, it will need to have some interior "space", since the wife is rather claustrophobic, like with at least 1 and up to 3-4 bump-outs. Wife also loves to cook, so having a good sized kitchen with 3-4 burner stove and actual oven (even if it's small) with microwave is pretty important, too. We'll probably end up trying to make some covered "outdoor space", with some seating and probably eating space, so we don't feel like we HAVE to stay inside all the time, plus that will give the wife's claustrophobia a break, off and on.

Anyone have any "brand" or model that they know has options that would fit all this "wish list", and still fit in a relatively shorter length? I just like to know what all to look out for, and if I can have something in mind BEFORE we need to get it, I think I'll be better prepared and know what to watch out for before we drop big $ on it all. Thanks, again.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:52 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Don't know anything about the camper part, but truck wise I am not aware of any 1500 series truck that has the same diesel engine as the 2500/3500s, and definitely not aware of a 1500 that has the same towing capacity as the bigger models. For your needs, I would drop the 1500 idea completely and focus on the 2500/3500. If you're looking at SRWs, I believe the only difference between the 25 and 35 is an extra leaf spring.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:40 PM
Sierra Nate
Road Master
Received 642 Likes on 260 Posts

I've been towing a 5th wheel toy hauler for coming up on 25 years. Various camper models (all toy haulers) and various trucks (Ford, Dodge, Chevy in that order with several MYs in that time frame). I have never towed with a DRW pick-up and I have never felt a need for "More stability". When I had a overhead slide in bed camper I absolutely wish I had DRW during some heavy crosswinds. But never with the 5th wheel.

Based on your last description, you basically brought up every reason for not getting a full time 5wer. But if you're going to get anywhere close to your wish list (kitchen size, 2 baths...yada yada) you're going to have a very heavy trailer. There is no 1500 ever made that's going to tow that load. The suspension, axle bearings, drive shaft, leaf springs just won't handle it for very long. You'll likely find a hungry salesman who will tell you we are wrong about that.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:41 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,235 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Originally Posted by BTLorys
Don't know anything about the camper part, but truck wise I am not aware of any 1500 series truck that has the same diesel engine as the 2500/3500s, and definitely not aware of a 1500 that has the same towing capacity as the bigger models. For your needs, I would drop the 1500 idea completely and focus on the 2500/3500. If you're looking at SRWs, I believe the only difference between the 25 and 35 is an extra leaf spring.

The big 3 all just came out with diesels for the 1500 trucks...I think they are all 3.0 liter or close too it...and claiming almost much torque as the engines twice their size...so they must really have the wick turned up on the turbo...

The diesel 1500 are towing like 11.4...still not enough for a descent 5th wheel.

I would stick to the 2500/3500 for a 5th wheel

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 09-17-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:27 PM
BTLorys
Banned

The big 3 all just came out with diesels for the 1500 trucks...I think they are all 3.0 liter or close too it...and claiming almost much torque as the engines twice their size...so they must really have the wick turned up on the turbo...

The diesel 1500 are towing like 11.4...still not enough for a descent 5th wheel.

I would stick to the 2500/3500 for a 5th wheel
Ah, that makes sense then... I missed that. Thats cool though. I'm interested to see how they compare to the HD engines.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:24 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

We have an '18 Momentum 349M. It's 39' long and has a 13' garage, so we can fit 2 atv's, or 2 kayaks and 2 bikes, or the Harley in there with room to spare. Personally, this is as big as I'd go before moving up to a dually.

Last edited by slapshot12; 09-17-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Who is pulling a fifth wheel toy hauler ?