General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk Me Out of the Low Rider S

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 11:14 PM
03fattyaz
Road Master

Received 443 Likes on 216 Posts

I'd go for it. I sat on one and loved it. I'm 6' at 205. I want one but need to wait until folks start dumping used ones on the private market. You just don't see them for sale.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:14 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Guess we should be asking which Fat Bob are you considering? The 2018 is a completely different bike than the 2017 and earlier.

If it moves you blood, it's the one. Everything else is just everything else. I'd say you already made up your mind about it.

I will add that I smile more on this bike than anything else. Including a '67 Mustang I restored. I just simply enjoy it every single time i go for a ride. Almost 10,000 miles later, I still, very seriously, smile and say, "Man I love this bike!" on my way anywhere on it. Least once a week I say that.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:16 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

I have to agree with "NoBodyKnowsMe". I do like the LRS.

BUT....Let me save you over $15K. If you want to ride more and longer, get a Touring bike.

Everyone eventually ends up on one!

YB

Old 09-18-2018, 08:24 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
BUT....Let me save you over $15K. If you want to ride more and longer, get a Touring bike.

YB
Like the OP, i have a short commute, plenty of great roads for day tripping, and longer tours a few times a year. I do all of this on my Breakout, and almost never do i wish i was on a bagger. If most of your riding is local, and you're only doing long distance once or twice a year, a bagger is probably overkill. All the extras they add to tourers to make them good for distance is just more bulk and weight when you just want to go throw it through the twisies.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:14 AM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have a 15 Low Rider S and all I added was a Master Tune. At 200 lbs and 6' 3" I have no fitment issue.

It tracks, handles and rides smooth for a Dyna. Great performance.

I did add a 18 Fat Bob S which stock will out run the LRS and a considerable uptick in handling. But for over all looks the LRS is a great machine.
Are you sure you don't have a 2016 Low Rider S? The Low Rider S was a mid model year introduction in 2016, and was only made in model year 2016 and 2017.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:16 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

I thought I wanted one and did a test ride. It wasn't good for me. Have you done a test ride?

Old 09-18-2018, 11:29 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,499 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
Like the OP, i have a short commute, plenty of great roads for day tripping, and longer tours a few times a year. I do all of this on my Breakout, and almost never do i wish i was on a bagger. If most of your riding is local, and you're only doing long distance once or twice a year, a bagger is probably overkill. All the extras they add to tourers to make them good for distance is just more bulk and weight when you just want to go throw it through the twisies.
This right here is the reason I went with the FXDLS, short commute and dont do long distances more than 1 or 2 times a year.

Not old enough, nor do I want a geezer glide yet.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:27 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I rode a 2018 Low Rider a couple of months ago. I like the looks of the bike a lot. I enjoyed the test ride for the most part but there was one thing I did not like. It and I both absolutely hated tar snake. In fact it was scary crossing them on a curving entrance ramp to the highway. I was hitting them at an angle. The bike was wiggling all over the place. I rode my Slim over them later for comparison purposes. My Slim hardly noticed they were there. Granted these snakes were quite pronounced but I wouldn't consider this model after the ride. As a disclaimer I will say that the bike was a demo or maybe even a shop bike as it had 3,000 miles on it with a Screaming Eagle exhaust. As already mentioned, find a dealer who will let you ride anything and ride everything you are interested in before you decide. Good luck.
kk

Old 09-18-2018, 02:48 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,597 Likes on 16,350 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
I have to agree with "NoBodyKnowsMe". I do like the LRS.

YB
I must be in the minority I went v-rod, Road Glide, Softail Slim. I found I wasn't taking long trips enough to get over the permanent fairing. I like the open road unblocked in front of me. If I go big again it will be a road king.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:04 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

rbdub - Yes a 17. Yet another typo I missed.

Quick Reply: Talk Me Out of the Low Rider S