General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Harley-Davidson Motorcycles. Is there a demand for them?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:29 PM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 91,438 Likes on 23,530 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
They don't need to build an electric bike to do that! What other major motorcycle manufacturers are building both Electric and Gas motorcycles?

They just need to diversify their product line with more style options, they don't need a damn EV bike.
The Tesla, in ludicrous mode, is the fastest production car in the world...hitting 0-60 mph in 2.27 seconds.

Translate this performance over to the two-wheeler and I will be first in line to pick one up.

The following 2 users liked this post by soldierbot:
Hannibal Smith (09-20-2018), shorelasHD (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 04:50 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
They don't need to build an electric bike to do that! What other major motorcycle manufacturers are building both Electric and Gas motorcycles?

They just need to diversify their product line with more style options, they don't need a damn EV bike.
BMW for one, they have an electric "scooter" on showroom floors as I type this that does 120MPH.. But you can bet your bippy they ALL either are, or will be very soon. I respectfully suggest you contact Matt Levatich with your suggestions regarding the MoCo's product line.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,993 Likes on 17,500 Posts

EV motorcycles been around a while but they are smaller units more of a novelty item and with anything with any size & weight for open road use very limited in range. It's the coming field but doubt it'll really come into its own for another 10 years or so when newer materials, battery tech and electronics become mainstream.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:32 AM
victory11
Road Warrior
Received 700 Likes on 399 Posts

We got a guy in northern Michigan with an electric motorcycle. He's an old chopper dude who apparently made the switch. I've seen him out a couple of times and I can tell you that bike is no slouch running down the road. He lives across from a friend of mine. I'm going to stop in and see this quiet, non sumping abomination. Film at 11.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (10-09-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 06:41 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,392 Likes on 5,440 Posts

Originally Posted by RICAFRENTE2019

Electric Harley-Davidson Motorcycles. Is there a demand for them?

No and never will be...Harley's version will be overpriced and under performing...just like every thing else they build...and people wanting an electric bike will not pay extra for the name.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:01 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Only way I see myself on an electric bike in the future is possibly an e-scooter for campgrounds to replace the gas scooter I use.
As for "having no choice" but ride electric, I call b.s. While sometime in the future that may be all that is sold going forward, there will always be the antiques grandfathered in. I'm not worried about gas engines being outlawed in my lifetime, it just ain't going to happen, my grandkids may see it.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:31 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
EV motorcycles been around a while but they are smaller units more of a novelty item and with anything with any size & weight for open road use very limited in range. It's the coming field but doubt it'll really come into its own for another 10 years or so when newer materials, battery tech and electronics become mainstream.
Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
Only way I see myself on an electric bike in the future is possibly an e-scooter for campgrounds to replace the gas scooter I use.
As for "having no choice" but ride electric, I call b.s. While sometime in the future that may be all that is sold going forward, there will always be the antiques grandfathered in. I'm not worried about gas engines being outlawed in my lifetime, it just ain't going to happen, my grandkids may see it.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gines-by-2030/
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/09...stic-bags.html
http://fortune.com/2016/06/04/norway...gas-cars-2025/
https://www.greentechmedia.com/artic...ars#gs.ind97bs
https://qz.com/1341155/nine-countrie...-law-to-do-so/

Just to present a few.

Read 'em and weep, gentlemen . Enjoy your ICEs while you can....ready or not, electric is in your future.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:34 AM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

There is definitely a market for electric bikes, more so in the future than now. Those buyers will not be the proto-type Harley rider, not willing to pay for the HD nameplate. So, it would almost be a different market from the one HD sells to now.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:43 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

They can take my internal combustion engine when they pry it from under my cold dead ***. Or something like that.

Last edited by IronAss; 09-21-2018 at 10:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rollonfreebird (09-23-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 02:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,993 Likes on 17,500 Posts

I'm work for the words leading EV proponent and manufacturer, we're branching into every market there is dealing with power systems be it passive generation, storage or motive including large freight movers and a coming pickup and the one area they aren't touching is motorcycles. That in of itself says volumes to me, it's coming but not right now, not in its present form.

Population density, limited availability and increasingly harder & costly acquisition of resources not to mention the harder impact of environmental issues in some areas of the world is the driving force behind the articles you dredged up. The US along with a few other bigger players on the world markets have too much money tied to the existing status quo, it won't be radically impacted in our lifetimes here. Again it's coming just not right now.

Quick Reply: Electric Harley-Davidson Motorcycles. Is there a demand for them?