General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stations/brands with the least markup on premium gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 07:02 AM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Given the small capacity of a motorcycle fuel tank and the fantastic fuel economy of a motorcycle the cost difference is minimal.
My sub compact gets better gas mileage than my motorcycles.

Originally Posted by joe40x
Spends $15-20K on a bike then complains about $4 more for a tank of gas???
I'm not rich. I've never spend 15-20K on a motorcycle in my entire life. $4 more for a tank of gas adds up when you do a lot of riding.

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Assuming he's always buying premium, and lets optimistically assume this brilliant scheme nets a savings of $.10/gal, we're talking 60 cents (assuming a touring bike, less if otherwise), not $4.

Sigh. Apparently some people don't read the original posting. If the difference was only 10 cents a gallon I wouldn't be asking the question. I have a 5 gallon tank and the markup in my area is up to a dollar extra per gallon at some stations.

Basically this is a ridiculous notion of planning routes or rides around the ability to save 60 cents per fill up.
Sigh. Again, not 60 cents per fill up or I wouldn't be asking the question.

Originally Posted by Sierra977
I seek out quality, fresh premium fuel.

Finding "fresh" premium fuel is harder than finding "cheap" premium. Cheap premium has sat in underground storage long enough for volatile distillates to escape and gasoline go "stale".

Two Dallas gasoline stations from quality local Tier One refiner carry reliably fresh premium fuel.

Neither are cheap.

Both are worth the cost.

Go be poor somewhere else.
I obviously don't want bad gas either, but price doesn't always equal quality. You don't always get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by TimmyPage
Premium gas is consistently $0.20/L more than regular in my area. Isn't it the same where you live? Mid-grade is $0.10 more and premium is $0.20.

A guy in one of my Facebook groups bought a new Iron, began to complain about premium gas prices, and that he was going to start using mid-grade/silver. The cost difference is maybe $0.60 on a full tank. I scratch my head sometimes.
I'm in the US. Down here we use gallons, and like I said in the OP the price difference in my area is 1.00 per gallon at some stations. For example, just yesterday, the local Shell station was 2.999 for regular, 3.999 for 91 octane. My EG only gets 40 mpg on straight highway, can go down to 30 on all city riding. I'm not rich, I have to watch what I spend.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:23 AM
Gunrunner72
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 117 Posts

These gas threads are always good for a couple of head shakes.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:26 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
Sigh. Again, not 60 cents per fill up or I wouldn't be asking the question.
Sigh. OK, so $1.50 per fill up, who cares? WTF? If you cant afford to ride, I would suggest you save a ton of money and sell your bike.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-04-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:31 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

why the anger he can ask any question he wants, you don't have to answer, let him slide . some people have a foot fetish others worry about gas prices

The following users liked this post:
GREENOHAWK69 (10-04-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

I see you are in Ohio.

Here were the average prices in Ohio yesterday.

Yesterday Avg. $2.742 $3.065 $3.384

That is higher than down here.

Here is my stare average

Yesterday Avg. $2.581 $2.841 $3.106

Also worth nothing, my city is fifteen cents per gallon cheaper than my state average.

Most Harley's get 40-50 mpg.

By comparison, my Jeep gets 13-15 mpg in the city. My car doesn't do much better at 15-17 mpg if I drive easy and stay out of the secondaries.

Many scooters and small displacement motorcycles get 100 mpg.

When I ride, it's to get away from worries and concerns. I remember a few years ago I had a lot on my mind and thought I was just going to go riding in my area to forget about things. The next thing I knew I was in New Orleans about 150 mikes away with nothing but the clothes on my back. I checked into a hotel with a nice restaurant attached to it and had a great time. I bought a couple of shirts, socks, and underwear and got a toothbrush from the front desk.

I am not rich. I just see my bike as an escape and have money ready for when the need arises, gas prices be damned. I figure if an extra few dollars in fuel cost is going to break me, I have bigger problems.

And yes I have been so poor that I was going hungry and looking for stuff in my closet to sell just to have money for a load of freaking bread. I got down to 138 pounds because I was starving to death, eating two bologna sandwiches every other day and waiting for bologna to go on sale for fifty cents per pound.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Given the small capacity of a motorcycle fuel tank and the fantastic fuel economy of a motorcycle the cost difference is minimal.
Not always the case. Depends on what you're driving. My car (a Honda Fit) gets 40.5 MPG on regular gas. My bike gets about 42-45 MPG on premium. Even without factoring in other expenses (tires, cough, cough) I can't justify riding the bike on cost alone.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 09-20-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:02 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mazz
why the anger he can ask any question he wants, you don't have to answer, let him slide . some people have a foot fetish others worry about gas prices
I never got the foot fetish thing. Strange people.

The cheapest price for premium gas near me is $3.53. I-80 and I-81 cross over each other here. There's a lot of gas stations, so their prices are all fairly close to each other.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:22 AM
1LargeDog
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 120 Posts

Since I have a tuned Mustang I have to run 93 all of the time. That may produce a 4-5 buck difference. In my Ultra a few cents won't break me. Now that being said I have noticed that over the years the price of gas between the grades has gone up dramatically. Years ago the basic price difference was maybe 5 cents between grades. When gas spiked and came back down it was 10 cents between grades. Next spike/lowering caused a 20 cent spike between grades. Now I see anywhere from 30 to 60 cents difference between grades. I usually stick to name brand gas stations at home and when I travel. And the condition of the station. If it looks like a crap hole I will pass it up.

I am sometimes amazed at just how many stations manipulate prices. One local Shell will jump their prices 10 cents almost immediately but takes weeks to lower it. Some parts of town are almost 20 cents a gallon lower than others too. I gave up on figuring it out long ago. The only vehicle I may be concerned with is my Navigator with a 28 gallon tank

Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Geez ... Economics of owning a scooter and the effects on your wallet ... Any of you guys ( who are married ) ever calculate the cost of a sexual encounter versus the priced paid for wedded bliss ??

The following 4 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
Campy Roadie (09-22-2018), crazytown (09-27-2018), Prot (09-20-2018), SPRINGER (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:32 AM
1LargeDog
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 120 Posts

Er, whats a sexual encounter? I forgot........

The following 2 users liked this post by 1LargeDog:
SPRINGER (09-20-2018), Uncle Larry (09-20-2018)

Quick Reply: stations/brands with the least markup on premium gas