General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Gear.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 02:02 PM
Modo
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Winter Gear.

Hey HDF,

Just sitting around bored at work so..

I was wondering what everyone does for winter gear? I'm looking for some gloves mainly, everything I've tried thus far hasn't worked for sh*t so, I'm on the hunt. Not really looking for heated gloves, since I like to keep it simple. Mostly just looking for something wind proof. Been looking around on various sites, but I dunno, reviews are getting hard to trust lol. Anyways, just seeing what's up.

Ride safe!

Old 09-20-2018, 02:13 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Personally, around here, I don't ride in the winter but in the Fall, when temps are getting chilly, I switch over to my deerskin gauntlet gloves that are lined with thinsulate and my fingers stay nice and warm.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:32 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,810 Likes on 6,220 Posts

Dead animals.
Vest is Buffalo with the fur still on (inside the leather jacket), gauntlet mittens made from beaver, and a fur hat made from coyote, fox, and raccoon. Insulated jeans
Good to about 25 degrees, and no batteries. Beyond that, I go back in the house.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:39 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Check out Cycle Gear for heat gear.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:49 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,422 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Check out the gloves that ice fishermen use. I use Ice Armor myself...

Old 09-20-2018, 02:51 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Hand guards or those handlebar mitts for dirtbikes or atvs

Old 09-20-2018, 03:12 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

If you have heated grips, these:
[sorry, couldn't find the link] Essentially, look for a snowmobile glove with thinner padding on the palm to allow heating grips to serve their purpose.

If you don't have heated grips [or even of you do], these:
https://www.hippohands.com/

Old 09-20-2018, 03:18 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Heated Gear

I have a pair of windproof and waterproof gloves by Outdoor Research...If I hadn't gotten them on sale at a good price, I wouldn't have bought them at all. They are really good gloves and keep my hands warm, if they are already warm, in cold weather riding. If my hands are not already warm. then those gloves will not warm them, even with heated grips. They do have a liner that accepts a hot hands chemical packs, but they are meant to warm they back of your hands, not the front, and they are gauntlet gloves. They work best in the 45 to 55 degree range, and are lightweight.
For the real cold weather riding, I use heated gloves that are made of deerskin and have the micro wires you can't even feel along with a heated jacket liner with the old bulky wiring. I must say that with the heated gloves and jacket liner, I have never been too cold to ride. Even 17 degree clear days are not a problem with my setup. I have worn just those two items and never had my feet or legs get cold because my core is warm although I do have a pair of Gore-Tex over pants I wear in those temperatures.
About 10 years ago, I was out riding in cold temps, with many layers on and was shaking so bad I couldn't stop. I was about 60 miles from home and I swore that if I got home again, I would never ride without heated gear again.
A lot of what you should wear, depends on how cold it gets where you live. If it gets below freezing, you going to need better gear than if you live in southern California where it's just the morning chill you need to beat.

Last edited by dyna rider; 09-20-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:34 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,598 Likes on 9,813 Posts

"Winter Gear"? Bike is in moth ***** by Thanksgiving. Don't want road salt to take it out via corrosion. But before that , leathers , chaps, and full fingered gloves.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:05 PM
Grouser62
Road Captain
Received 526 Likes on 250 Posts

It sounds like you don't want heated gear but really man it is the only way to go (imo) if you want to add 6-8 weeks to your riding season. I have been riding in 40-46 in northern Montana the past few days and with my Gerbing jacket liner and gloves have been as warm as toast and don't look or feel like the Michelin man.

Quick Reply: Winter Gear.