General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide comparison

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:19 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,664 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by TimmyPage
Why don't you just go to a local deal and test ride it? Dealers near me gladly let you ride whatever you want.
That would be my suggestion as well. However this depends on the dealership. Plenty close to me but only one that will let you take whatever you want out, pretty much for however long you want. I am about 5' 10" and 180. Being on my 3rd Road Glide, this one a Special, I see zero issue with any of it regarding fit. Just an awesome machine. It is referred to a number of names but mile eater is very appropriate. I shy away from super slab unless I am on a long journey/trip or just have to be somewhere in a hurry. I typically ride the twisty rides and plenty in my region. The Road Glide is very adaptive and handles anything you can throw at it within reason.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:27 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,662 Likes on 1,547 Posts

The only complaint I've heard from RGS owners is the angle of the Boom screen compared to the SGS. The glare on my SGS Boom is minimal compared to the RGSs I've test ridden. I haven't ridden any of the new 19s yet, so I don't know if the new Gorilla Glass reduces the glare issue. The other difference is $400.00, probably due to the dual LED Daymakers.

Last edited by barneyboy; 10-14-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:34 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Only way to know is to try a roadglide. Then you will have a huge on which one you like the best.

You also saved the best for last!!

Lol

Old 10-15-2018, 09:55 AM
Moose2011FLHX
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts

When I bought my first Street Glide it felt claustrophobic for the first couple of days. I got used to it and love it now. The fixed fairing on the Road Glide messes with my head when cornering at high speeds. I'm 6'2" and 280 and the Street Glide has been plenty comfortable with a hammock seat and 16" (shoulda went 18") bars.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:55 PM
deadhead948
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moose2011FLHX
When I bought my first Street Glide it felt claustrophobic for the first couple of days. I got used to it and love it now. The fixed fairing on the Road Glide messes with my head when cornering at high speeds. I'm 6'2" and 280 and the Street Glide has been plenty comfortable with a hammock seat and 16" (shoulda went 18") bars.
The one complaint I was able to come up with for the SG was that my fists took up the inside view of each mirror. With the way they are fixed to the fairing, were the new bars an improvement for the mirrors? I figure I'm just not used to the SG but you can't do much with its mirrors. I'm used to getting a little glimpse of what is directly behind me with my mirrors. The SG mirrors were only good for what's to my sides.

By the way, I was at the dealership yesterday. I sat down on a RG and didn't care for the long reach to the stereo screen. I would think the SG fairing does a better job at blocking the wind due to It being closer to the body. It seems to offer better coverage than the RG's as well. I was pretty comfortable with how close everything on the SG was to me. It was pretty much a perfect reach away. I didn't play with the switches on the bars at all.

I'll be taking the RG for a test ride but I have a feeling I already made my mind up with the Street Glide Special.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:02 PM
Moose2011FLHX
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead948
The one complaint I was able to come up with for the SG was that my fists took up the inside view of each mirror. With the way they are fixed to the fairing, were the new bars an improvement for the mirrors? I figure I'm just not used to the SG but you can't do much with its mirrors. I'm used to getting a little glimpse of what is directly behind me with my mirrors. The SG mirrors were only good for what's to my sides.

By the way, I was at the dealership yesterday. I sat down on a RG and didn't care for the long reach to the stereo screen. I would think the SG fairing does a better job at blocking the wind due to It being closer to the body. It seems to offer better coverage than the RG's as well. I was pretty comfortable with how close everything on the SG was to me. It was pretty much a perfect reach away. I didn't play with the switches on the bars at all.

I'll be taking the RG for a test ride but I have a feeling I already made my mind up with the Street Glide Special.
I can see behind and to the sides with the 16" bars, any shorter and my arms would be in the way. Last Street Glide had 20" bars on it and i could see fine. I have an LRS 11" flat top wind screen and i ride in a very calm bubble, i have a 10" on the way to try when i use the stock seat because it sits me lower. Buy your seat before buying a wind screen.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:41 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 332 Posts

1st..... Both are great bikes. If flat out long haul is your plan the RG with frame mounted fairing is the better choice..... Otherwise its a toss.....

IMHO...... It boils down to looks between the two... I can never get over the nose on a RG..... Where I just prefer the looks of the SG...... ESPECIALLY with modding..... I run 14" bars on my SG and personally RGs look weird with tall bars and the fairing so far away...... Just me...... And of course others would say how they feel towards their RG......

Old 10-15-2018, 11:22 PM
99Birdman
Extreme HDF Member

Received 27,702 Likes on 9,179 Posts

The RG will tend to handle better with less weight on the forks and it will be less effected by cross winds since the fairing is mounted to the frame and not the forks.

If you spend a lot of time on the open road you might notice the difference. OTOH: if you've only ever ridden an SG, you won't know the difference and a lot of folks prefer the more traditional look of the bat wing.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:59 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,243 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by Moose2011FLHX
when cornering at high speeds, it shouldn't be an issue at all. you're countersteering, and the steering input is so minimal that I don't see how you could have an issue. also, I would hope that at high speed, you're looking down the road a ways, not at your fairing...

the first time I rode a roadglide, the fairing messed me up for the first turn in the parking lot. by the time I got a block down the road, it was a non-issue.

as far as road glides being for taller riders, I disagree. i'm only 5'4''. I much prefer the open feel of the cockpit of the rg vs the claustrophobic feel of the sg.

as far as reaching the radio, that should be very seldom done. that's why you have thumbswitches.

a lot of folks say they don't have a problem with the wind on a batwing. having ridden both, it's one of those things that you don't really notice, until you ride the roadglide, then you notice a huge difference. we've ridden places and during stops the batwing guys will remark 'how brutal the wind is', and I really hadn't even noticed it at all.

some people are function over form, while others are form over function. take one for a test ride, but have an open mind. if you go into it with your mind already made up, well, then you shouldn't even waste your time on the test ride.

at the end of the day, they are both great bikes.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:09 AM
skyflyer
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 75 Posts

Before you buy the street glide or road glide take a look at the ultra.

Quick Reply: Street Glide comparison