General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide comparison

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 08:35 PM
deadhead948
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Street Glide comparison

I've been looking at a certain Street Glide Special and I thought it would be a good idea to rent one from eagle rider for a day. They only rent the standard Street Glide and that's what I spent the day on today. I rode 177 miles mostly on very curvy roads in the Rocky Mountains. To keep it short I love the bike and I'm sold. The only 2 things I'm curious about is whether or not an SG Special will feel any different and whether or not I'd rather have a Road Glide. I'm under the impression the Road Glide is a better fit for someone over 6' which I'm not ( I'm 5'11"). What's everyone's thought on the subject? I can't shell out the money to rent every bike I become curious about and a short test ride around the block just doesn't tell me anything. I need it for the day like I did today. Street Glide Special vs Street Glide and Street Glide Special vs Road Glide. What are the noticeable differences to the rider other than looks?

Old 10-13-2018, 08:41 PM
Ryan42
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

You can not tell difference between SG and SGs. They are the same in that respect. The only difference will be A 107 vs 114. And yes there is def more tq on the SGS with the 114. Now SG vs RG only way to know is to ride it.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:46 PM
deadhead948
Intermediate

I'll take a RG for a test ride but to be honest I was totally comfortable on the SG. Not an ache on my body and I hardly got off of it for the 4 1/2 - 5 hours I spent on it. It's much more balanced than the softail I've been riding.

Last edited by deadhead948; 10-13-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:59 PM
Ryan42
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead948
I'll take a RG for a test ride but to be honest I was totally comfortable on the SG. Not an ache on my body and I hardly got off of it for the 4 1/2 - 5 hours I spent on it. It's much more balanced than the softail I've been riding.
you’ll notice the street glide screen and fairing will feel a lot closer....because it is. I like that because I am shorter. Another difference you’ll notice is the frame mounted fairing aka the RG and the fork mounted fairing of the SG. I ride a SG and split traffic here iN CA so it’s important.. also the street glide special will be blacked out, bigger motor, navigation,. Stretched bags etc. it’s a price jump but if you get a good deal on a new one it’s worth it.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:52 PM
deadhead948
Intermediate

There's a big difference in the fairing with the SG and RG. Is there a noticeable difference with the way they break the wind?

By the way, I find the frame mounted fairing to be a little freaky.

Last edited by deadhead948; 10-13-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:13 AM
HubBub
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 2010 Street Glide and love it. I'm 6'2" 225. People talk about the fairing being closer or even "too close" on a street glide. It is perfect for me. to be fair I've never ridden a road glide. Another thing people say is that the Street Glide will push you around in the wind since the fairing is fork mounted. I've ridden in some seriously strong side winds, as well as headwinds, and I don't get pushed around. People talk about wind buffering. I'm not experiencing that either and I'm running a stock windshield.

I don't feel like the frame mounted fairing would be "freaky" but I guess I want the front of my bike going in the same way I am! Not for the "headlight reason" most people say but it seems natural to me. I say that now but I'm only 49 and could see myself on a road glide in the future. I'm by no means a RG "hater"!

What was it you liked more on the rental than your soft tail? I came from a Sportster that I still have. For me I liked the lower center of gravity. Much more comfortable. I installed a Danny Gray "buttcrack" solo which sits me even lower. I don't know how He/they make such a minimalist seat that is so comfortable. I've done 4-5 hours at a time on that one and it's still comfortable. I have an Ultra classic seat we use for two up riding and after being on the Danny Gray seat it's annoying. I rode 120 miles this morning two-up and couldn't wait to get the solo seat back on.
Ryan makes a good point on the lane splitting. The winds I've ridden in that were strongest were on the Altamonte which I bet Ryan knows well,....as well.

Didn't mean to turn it into a commercial! I have NO stake in the above product. Will you be keeping your soft tail? Do you already have Vans and a hoodie?! I say no matter the touring Harley you pick you'll love it........ Unless it's a trike and even then you'll like it enough eventually!

Last edited by HubBub; 10-14-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:36 AM
TimmyPage
Road Captain
Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

Why don't you just go to a local deal and test ride it? Dealers near me gladly let you ride whatever you want.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:37 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

....... and whether or not I'd rather have a Road Glide.
........ yes, yes you would

What are the noticeable differences to the rider other than looks?
.......... that question is why you gotta ride'm
..... same frame & accoutrements, quite different attitudes
............ get the Special.... better radio, painted inner & stretched bags

Old 10-14-2018, 12:33 PM
deadhead948
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TimmyPage
Why don't you just go to a local deal and test ride it? Dealers near me gladly let you ride whatever you want.
It's hard for me to tell with a short test ride. I need one for the day like I just did with the Street Glide. It's down to those 2 bikes and I would rent a Road Glide today if it wasn't snowing where I am. Sunny and 63 yesterday and today it's in the 20's and snowing. I will test ride one but to be honest there wasn't anything about the Street Glide I didn't like. I didn't like the Street Glide as much for the first half hour but after a little while I started liking it a lot.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:37 PM
deadhead948
Intermediate

HubBub asked, "What was it you liked more on the rental than your soft tail"?

After I rode those 177 miles I was ready to go another 177 miles. No matter what I do to the softail's handlebars, seat or anything else my back is just sore after 177 miles. I just need a better fit.

Last edited by deadhead948; 10-14-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Street Glide comparison