General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I need to do a carb tune when changing exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 12:36 PM
hitthecoast
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will I need to do a carb tune when changing exhausts?

My bike is a 1998 Fatboy. I have a thunderheader 2-1 on it and want to change it for a Vance Hines 2-2 I have. I am mechanically inclined enough to do the swap, but will my bike start/run properly if I bolt the new exhaust on, or will I have to take it somewhere to get the carb jetted?

thanks fellas

Old 10-29-2018, 01:10 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,255 Likes on 5,647 Posts

Originally Posted by hitthecoast
My bike is a 1998 Fatboy. I have a thunderheader 2-1 on it and want to change it for a Vance Hines 2-2 I have. I am mechanically inclined enough to do the swap, but will my bike start/run properly if I bolt the new exhaust on, or will I have to take it somewhere to get the carb jetted?

thanks fellas
Only if you change the air filter to a high flow one. Other wise you are still drawing in the same amount of air. Change the air/fuel ratio and you'll need to re-jet.

Last edited by Bubba Zanetti; 10-29-2018 at 01:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SimonR (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 01:19 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

You will only be guessing anyway.
Buy AFR setup and be done.
A main jet is super EZ to install

Old 10-29-2018, 03:27 PM
hitthecoast
Tourer

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
You will only be guessing anyway.
Buy AFR setup and be done.
A main jet is super EZ to install
what is AFR, and how does it work?

Old 10-29-2018, 04:46 PM
Kingglide549
Banned

https://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...uego-afr-gauge

AMAZON sells them too.
There is no reason to guess anymore

(air to fuel ratio)

Old 10-29-2018, 06:59 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,867 Likes on 6,736 Posts

I'm trying to figure out why you would downgrade from a Thunderheader to a V&H? Makes no sense to me.

The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 07:16 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,358 Likes on 2,372 Posts

+1 with Bubba Z, check out nightrider.com on V-twin performance and tuning the Keihn carb on the Evo engine. Also check-in on the EVO boards maybe somebody there has some more insight on what you are trying to do.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:21 AM
hitthecoast
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tommy C
I'm trying to figure out why you would downgrade from a Thunderheader to a V&H? Makes no sense to me.
I love the thunderheader, I agree it is the best pipe ever made for Harley. I am changing it because it has become debilitating for my hearing. When I ride, it's usually for 1 1/2+ hours at a time. I ride with a full face helmet and earplugs, I also have a wind skirt on my helmet. But the pipe is so loud; especially full throttle on the freeway, that in the past four months it has left me with a minor ringing in my ears that goes away if I stay away from riding. I have seen multiple ear doctors and audiologists, and they all say the same thing. I don't have any hearing loss right now, but if I continue to ride like this the ringing will become permanent and turn into hearing loss. I'm gonna sell it if anyone is interested. It's chrome, but can be enamel-painted black.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:31 AM
Kingglide549
Banned

Originally Posted by hitthecoast
I love the thunderheader, I agree it is the best pipe ever made for Harley. I am changing it because it has become debilitating for my hearing. When I ride, it's usually for 1 1/2+ hours at a time. I ride with a full face helmet and earplugs, I also have a wind skirt on my helmet. But the pipe is so loud; especially full throttle on the freeway, that in the past four months it has left me with a minor ringing in my ears that goes away if I stay away from riding. I have seen multiple ear doctors and audiologists, and they all say the same thing. I don't have any hearing loss right now, but if I continue to ride like this the ringing will become permanent and turn into hearing loss. I'm gonna sell it if anyone is interested. It's chrome, but can be enamel-painted black.
We go everywhere even Sturgis.
A foam earplug works just fine.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:23 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,255 Likes on 5,647 Posts

I had a 2 into 1 on my Street Bob, I don't recall the brand but it wasn't Thunder header. Any way, the guy I bought the bike from installed it and removed the baffle and lost it. That thing was so loud it was unbearable. Highway speed was so loud I could not handle it and after a few weeks of deafening my self I bought a baffle and installed it. Calmed it down and made it a little quieter but it was still much to loud for my liking. As for me, I would never run a 2-1 on a street bike. Too much racket.

Quick Reply: Will I need to do a carb tune when changing exhausts?