General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter storage in garage connected to the house/Semi heated

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 10:06 PM
Roach450
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter storage in garage connected to the house/Semi heated

Main point, DO I HAVE TO ADD STABILIZER while storing in my garage? I got into a debate about stabilizer. I never used it before, and every chance I get, I take the tender off, open the door and run the bike for like 10-15 minutes, on the stand and threw the gears. I do not change my oil til spring because of this reason. But basically I jack it up, hook the tender up, keep the tank full, cover it and start it at least once a month. If my garage gets below 38-36 degrees I start it more often.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:17 PM
DeputyDawg
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Never ever run for 10-15 minutes during storage! All that causes is possible condensation forming in the motor! When you about ready to store and the tank is almost empty, ride to the gas station. Add the proper amount of sea foam or Stabil, then fill the tank up. Ride it for about 15mins to get the mix into the injector or carb (which ever you have). Then park it, hook up the tender and leave it alone until your ready to ride in the spring.

The following 3 users liked this post by DeputyDawg:
deadman77 (10-30-2018), RK4ME (10-30-2018), Slingshot383 (10-30-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 10:23 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,335 Likes on 11,165 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDawg
Never ever run for 10-15 minutes during storage! All that causes is possible condensation forming in the motor! When you about ready to store and the tank is almost empty, ride to the gas station. Add the proper amount of sea foam or Stabil, then fill the tank up. Ride it for about 15mins to get the mix into the injector or carb (which ever you have). Then park it, hook up the tender and leave it alone until your ready to ride in the spring.
Stabilizer keeps the fuel from going bad.

The following users liked this post:
Slingshot383 (10-30-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 10:24 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDawg
yep, your actually doing damage by starting your bike up in your garage and letting it run. Either let it sit without starting it at all, or take it on a 30 min drive and get it out and up to speed. Its a real good idea to put fuel stabilizer in there, heck if i leave gas just sitting in my lawn mower all winter (4 months or longer) with no stabilizer it is really hard to start and runs like crap. Have to drain the fuel out and put more fuel in. Thats not a good thing to get mixed into your fuel injection.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:24 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,992 Likes on 17,500 Posts

God almighty what did we do before the big stabilizer debate and will the cold hurt my bike nonsense. A motorcycle engine couldn't pull enough moisture to build anywhere near the condensation needed for you to even notice it in the oil. Either do a tender or pull the battery is all you need to worry about honesty.

With today's crap gas a bit of seafoam isn't a bad idea it it's gonna sit long than 3 months otherwise it's just something to calm all the worry reading too many myths on the internet causes you........

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
0maha (10-30-2018), shorelasHD (10-30-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 10:28 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
God almighty what did we do before the big stabilizer debate and will the cold hurt my bike nonsense. A motorcycle engine couldn't pull enough moisture to build anywhere near the condensation needed for you to even notice it in the oil. Either do a tender or pull the battery is all you need to worry about honesty.

With today's crap gas a bit of seafoam isn't a bad idea it it's gonna sit long than 3 months otherwise it's just something to calm all the worry reading too many myths on the internet causes you........
I agree, it seems like anything under a couple of months your fine but i do know for a fact that just plain old gas sitting there will break down at least by 6 months...i know cause my lawnmower tells me so after 5 months of gas in it (and i store the lawnmower inside too). it runs like crap until i get the old gas out.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:59 AM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior
Received 1,474 Likes on 629 Posts

You Cali guys have no clue about condensation with your weather, here in the NE, -30 is common. I have seen 24 hour swings of 60 degrees and it was still below freezing.
fill up with non ethanol, add stabil, steel wool in the exhaust, tender or pull battery, decent cover, check for critters

Old 10-30-2018, 06:08 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

Stabilizer never caused any harm. So why not?

Old 10-30-2018, 06:09 AM
CWOFOR
Tourer
Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts

A bottle of Sta-bil cost $5.00, a service visit for a few hours of labor to clean out the system will cost a hell of a lot more. The old saying "an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Old 10-30-2018, 07:36 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,865 Likes on 6,239 Posts

Fill the tank with good gas. Add stabilizer if you want. Stop starting it. Use a battery tender.
The more gas in the tank, the longer it takes to go bad, and it occupies more space to not allow condensation.
My lawn equipment and snow-blower sit alternately for long periods with 87 octane and no stabilizer. Every one of them start on the first pull when I first take them out.

Quick Reply: Winter storage in garage connected to the house/Semi heated