General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with GPS hardwire

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 04:24 PM
BTD
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need help with GPS hardwire

Bike is 2014 Road King and GPS is Garmin Nuvi 55. Researched forum and service manual and got a lot of good information but still a little unsure of how to proceed. I have two open "ports" in headlight-white one on left seems to have black and blue wires running into it and looks to be #29 in service manual. Black "port" above yellow tape on bottom seems to have black and white wires running in to it. Need help with 1).which "port" to use (want power to turn off with ignition) 2. For the port to use, any idea of the name part # for the correct connector? 3) Garmin plug has red and black wires-how should they be aligned with wire colors in correct port? Many thanks for any advice or assistance.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:33 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Sorry, can't help ya. Thought you were wiring a zumo.

JK. Well I hard wired to a Road King but ran the cables under the tank console straight to the battery. You should be able to find your info here.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....scription=true

Old 11-03-2018, 04:55 PM
BTD
Advanced

Thanks, i think direct connect to battery provides continuous power when unit is attached-could be problematic if I forget to disconnect. Would also like to avoid wire from main frame to handlebar. Link you provided doesn’t work

Old 11-03-2018, 05:14 PM
sechracer
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 85 Posts

you could always use a test light to figure out which one is ignition switched... Black is ground other wire should be hot.. Same with the wiring for the garmin. Black = ground red = hot

Old 11-03-2018, 05:29 PM
dsandife
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a cigarette lighter on the plastic cover below the seat (2000 Road King). The lighter port has a cover that snaps on to keep moisture out when not in use. Its still working, after 18 years!. So the only electricity used is when the Garmin is actually plugged in to the lighter port.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:34 PM
BTD
Advanced

Thanks for the information and ideas, I am still wondering if anyone knows which “ port”. / fitting to use for what I am trying to do. There is a you tube video of a guy doing what I want to do but it appears to be different year bike/ different fittings

Old 11-04-2018, 02:24 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

As SECHRACER said a test light or get a DVM Multimeter. $10.00 from Amazon.

KenK

Old 11-04-2018, 02:56 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,748 Likes on 2,409 Posts

I realise you want someone with the same bike to come to your rescue but your best bet is to get a wiring diagram so you can identify the connectors yourself.
Someone will say connector XYZ and you will still be none the wiser without the a diagram.
A simple tester that is just a bulb and a couple of wires one with a crocodile clip to put to the frame ground connection and a pin to touch the connector is all you need to identify switched power.
Or better yet if you intend to try and do some work yourself in the future get a multimeter. There are some low cost ones that will serve you well.

On my own bike I picked up power from the position lamp that is in the headlamp, international model Sportster. The MoCo used 4mm spade connectors so I was able to get 4mm piggyback connectors. This means no cutting or splicing and I can remove it.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 11-04-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:34 AM
BTD
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a wiring diagram in the service manual. It appears the plug on the left is #29 which is described as “position lamp (if equipped)”. Connector is 2-way EPC (BK). Neither of these tell me anything useful-don't know what a position lamp is and the connector description isn’t helpful. I can’t find the black switch on the right. I am reasonably sure one or both of these put out 12v connected to main switch but even when I confirm that, I don’t know how to wire Garmin red/black to wires on plug since they are different colors and have no idea how to find proper plug to fit. Really hoping to hear from someone who has done this before or knows what those plugs are and do. Thanks again for any suggestions

Old 11-04-2018, 07:16 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,748 Likes on 2,409 Posts

The position lamp is for international models. It will power on with the ignition.

In my manual the connector types are described with their location. On my bike connectors that are not going to get wet are multilock type or molex.

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...r-part-numbers

Quick Reply: Need help with GPS hardwire