General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape hangers???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 06:42 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
Just a question.....not trying to bash, just understand..........why do people with a fairing on their bikes want apes? The whole purpose of the batwing is to keep the wind off your hands and arms when riding the bike, yet apes put your hands and arms up and into the wind. Even the shape of the batwing is designed to cover your hands. I can see apes on a "naked" bike, but putting apes on a bagger defeats the whole point of the fairing. Example:

My chest and head are protected, couldn’t care less about my hands. Plus I flat out can’t even turn around in a parking lot with stock height bars, they feel extremely awkward to me plus I’m bent over to reach em, my shoulders and neck start to kill me when I can’t sit straight up.

And cant handle? Bars make zero difference in how your bike handles, just takes some getting used to. I’ve drug every part of my last Softail with 12’s and 4” risers and have no problem doing the same with the touring bike. No chicken strips here unless we are at Dairy Queen.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:16 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by Tw1g
Hey guys new to this forum, I’ve been a part of another Harley forum for about a month and no one responding and or commenting on new feeds. Just wanted to know what does everyone recommend for getting ape hangers on a bike. Likes or dislikes and which one you like. I ride a 2007 Flxh Street Glide and wanted to see what fits on my bike thank you all.
Never been a ape hanger fan. But.I am talking about the extreme. Where the rider has to stretch to reach the grips. I purchased a 1995 Road King last month. It has 12 inch apes on it. They fit me just right. Six foot three inch. Quite comfortable. They are on there already. Not about to change em out. All cables are coated stainless braided.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:15 AM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

Apes are a personal perference, I ran 'em on a '52 pan build for 6 years, but as time changed the bars and front end did also. My pereference is with out the fairings and winshields.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:31 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 832 Posts

I don't know. They may be comfortable, etc. but they just look weird to me on a bike with a fairing, JMHO.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:52 AM
DocTkd
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 16 inch apes on my 07 Softail Custom. I an 6'3" and this set up is the most comfortable position for me to ride. Arms about shoulder height.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:56 PM
Livingmydream
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

16" Carlini Gangsta Apes Made my rides much more enjoyable

Old 11-16-2018, 11:58 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
Never been a ape hanger fan. But.I am talking about the extreme. Where the rider has to stretch to reach the grips. I purchased a 1995 Road King last month. It has 12 inch apes on it. They fit me just right. Six foot three inch. Quite comfortable. They are on there already. Not about to change em out. All cables are coated stainless braided.
Love that paint job! Is that the factory one or custom?

Old 11-16-2018, 12:57 PM
major105bc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,286 Likes on 1,563 Posts

Check out some different types and size apes, in person, if you can. I have 16" Carlini Gangsters on my 02 Springer. I like them but they are not as comfortable as the 14" Hill Country Custom apes I had before them. The reason is the pullback on the Carlini's are much less than the HCCs. I liked the HCC pullback better. I like the wide width of the Carlini's better, however. My 05 Springer came with a set of 16" unknowns. They were very narrow, and now they are gone. Also, the height is impacted by the height of your risers, what type of bike (softail, touring, dyna) and what seat you're using. I like spring seats but they sit you back further than most stock seats. Most handlebar companies can help you with wire extensions and cables. HCC is very good about that. As far as comfort, my Carlini's are very comfortable in the mountain twisties or on a long all day cruise. Good luck.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:25 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by major105bc
I like the wide width of the Carlini's better, however.
It took me more time to get used to the width than the height. But once I did, it feels weird on a stock width bike. Feels like my hands are too close together.

The following users liked this post:
major105bc (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 02:02 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhandjohn

My ‘99 Road King came with these apes, and to the best of my knowledge they’re LA Choppers ‘Nice Curves’ 12” bars. They’re just below my shoulder in height and feel good, though I’ve been looking at Beach Bars lately as a replacement.
Those look just like my 14" outlawz

Quick Reply: Ape hangers???