General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape hangers???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Tw1g
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ape hangers???

Hey guys new to this forum, I’ve been a part of another Harley forum for about a month and no one responding and or commenting on new feeds. Just wanted to know what does everyone recommend for getting ape hangers on a bike. Likes or dislikes and which one you like. I ride a 2007 Flxh Street Glide and wanted to see what fits on my bike thank you all.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:33 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,211 Likes on 941 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You should introduce yourself in the new member area first before posting your first question

Old 11-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Dang the new OP is in contempt already. Welcome to the Forum. Lots of members run apes here but I am not one of them. Someone will comment directly I am sure.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:43 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Apes are a personal thing. Not everyone is going to like them. I do. The one piece of advice I'd give anyone about apes is - don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em.

As to size, or style, well that's entirely dependent upon your size and your tastes, respectively.

My apes make this the most comfortable bike I've owned - and I've had a few.

Welcome, from Missouri!

Old 11-05-2018, 03:51 PM
Ironhandjohn
Tourer
Received 312 Likes on 124 Posts

My ‘99 Road King came with these apes, and to the best of my knowledge they’re LA Choppers ‘Nice Curves’ 12” bars. They’re just below my shoulder in height and feel good, though I’ve been looking at Beach Bars lately as a replacement.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Tw1g
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I’m looking at 16 inch apes. I have very long arms so it won’t be too harsh. Just trying to find a pair that works with my Harley is confusing. Never owned a Harley, so don’t know too much about it. As in the measurements and all and what can fit and what can not. They are not cheap but not expensive, but would like to order ones that’s fit then have to send them back.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:13 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by Tw1g
Yeah I’m looking at 16 inch apes. I have very long arms so it won’t be too harsh. Just trying to find a pair that works with my Harley is confusing. Never owned a Harley, so don’t know too much about it. As in the measurements and all and what can fit and what can not. They are not cheap but not expensive, but would like to order ones that’s fit then have to send them back.
It isn't measured by the length of your arms, but really the length of your torso. You want some just below your shoulders at the most.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:17 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,243 Posts

I've had apes on road kings, ultra's and road glides. The kings are probably best looking with apes. You'll adjust pretty quick to riding with them, if you ride twisties hard, I probably wouldnt recomment them. Outside of that, they are comfy and adjusted correctly, take a lot of strain off your wrist/shoulders. And of course they look cool.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:22 PM
gja
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

Best thing I've seen is one of the members here mocked up apes using PVC pipe. He made different sizes and found what he liked that way. Little bit of time and money well spent in my opinion. I tried to find the thread but wasn't able to. Sorry

The following 2 users liked this post by gja:
17VelRedSGS (11-09-2018), craftkr (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 04:34 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 358 Posts

Apes are a personal thing. Not everyone is going to like them. I do. The one piece of advice I'd give anyone about apes is - don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em.

As to size, or style, well that's entirely dependent upon your size and your tastes, respectively.

My apes make this the most comfortable bike I've owned - and I've had a few.
Xactly.

Calini bars are the best imo.

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (11-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Ape hangers???