General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have I lost my mind part II (original thread closed)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 07:54 AM
AliensilverFXDBI
Road Captain
Received 242 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Congratulation on getting squared away. I've seen people go through it and it's not always easy. I just have one question though.

If you accomplished all that financial recovery since March of 2017 what do you do for a living, where do you work and can you get me a job there????
I only make about 50-70k a year depending on how much OT I work and I live in a very small house. My total monthly bills with food and everything is about a grand. When I bought my house I wanted to be able to survive on $10 an hour and I make almost 3x that much. I have 15 years aircraft machining experience.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:23 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 289 Posts

FWIW.
Sounds like a risk to your sobriety and your current income/ lifestyle.
I am no expert....but from what I know go see you AA sponsor.
Seems to me you are throwing away everything you have accomplished and wishing to start over.
Again I am no expert and not have the full story.
Good luck!

Old 11-10-2018, 08:46 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,224 Likes on 11,123 Posts

The answer to your dilemma lies in this question:
Do you have the self-control and the ability to live both lifestyles without the substance abuse?

Old 11-10-2018, 09:24 AM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

It sounds like you've got your life together and are doing well - I congratulate you on your sobriety.

Hopefully you will put up with some of my thoughts on what you want to do. I lost my beautiful brother to alcoholism this past August. He was 62 and had been living out of his car homeless and was found dead in the backseat. He had been a high up muckety-muck exec with an amazing office with one of the finest views of Manhattan I've ever seen. Lovely house in the 'burbs, beautiful family and he was an extraordinarily handsome man. He had been an alcoholic since age 14. As an adult he had managed to keep it under control. But, after a 3rd DUI, losing his license, plastic surgery on his face after a horrific drunk driving accident, over time, he lost it.

He lost his sobriety. After several rehabs, jails, hospitals and living out of his storage unit, he tried to sober up - many times.

Here's my point - you are young and probably still good looking and skilled enough to get hired again should you take off and live the lifestyle you envision. After its out of your system you can get another job and house. My point is - you will only get so many chances to start over - then you won't.

My brother started to sober up, he applied for many jobs and ended up working low wage retail. He would tell me employers were just ageist and discriminatory. He was angry he couldn't get back into his corporate field again. Finally I said, Steve, when you were young, employers saw a young man with promise. Now you are older and they see an old man with lots of health bills coming up. Alcoholics, male and female do not realize what a fifth or two of vodka a day (my bro's consumption, maybe a 3rd bottle and black out drunk) does to their looks. You can be 40 and look 70. No one wants to hire an old alky. Its a terrible position to be in, not being able to buy a house, even a small one, ever again. Life goes fast.

If you do decide to go, I hope you stay sober and realize your dream. Hopefully you will be able to start over again. It really sounds like you have things going really well right now. Is there anyway you can save your vacation time, or a leave of absence to satisfy your dream? I know lots of people who ship their bikes to where they want to go so they can have two or three weeks riding time on vacation.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:35 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,175 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Why yes,yes indeed. You have lost your mind.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:48 AM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,211 Likes on 597 Posts

Dude, stack cash and pay off your house so you always have a place to go to first.
You're young yet, give it a few more years before you go into midlife crisis mode.
When you are truly prepared and don’t have to ask if it’s a good idea go nuts.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:23 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Take a month or two for a little taste and hit the road for an extended roam. I bet you’ll enjoy it, but I bet you’ll be glad to get home too. The road has so much “nothing” at times it can be very empty and exhausting. You can also find a great deal of “sameness” as you are an outsider everywhere you go. There’s good experiences and people too, but they can be few and far between after the novelty wears off and roaming requires “moving on” so they are all passing through moments. It might be a fit for you, but at your situation I would try a test run first. It would be a heck of a trip regardless.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:28 PM
AliensilverFXDBI
Road Captain

I don't think sobriety will be an issue, at home or abroad. The last 20 months are proof. At first I was downright suicidal. 20 months later and I'm doing better than I ever have. With the exception of wanting to journey into the unknown. LOL
I know that age plays a huge role in a companies willingness to hire people. An employee is an investment and typically the longer the term the bigger the payout. I get that.
I guess my issue is the fact that life seems kinda pointless. Work so I can have things? Things used to be cool and were a great motivator and still are to a degree, but nothing like they were a decade ago. I want experiences. I want to travel and see the country. Not necessarily as a homeless person but not as a tourist either. Scooter tramp Scotty said tourists go to a place and spend money, drifters go to a place and spend time. I want something in between. I guess maybe a good long vacation might cure it. I haven't left the state on 2 wheels in over 4 years. In the 2 years before that I saw 9 states. Yes only been riding a little over 6 years but I'm hooked for life. I think I just answered my question.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:35 PM
AliensilverFXDBI
Road Captain

Originally Posted by traffic jam
It sounds like you've got your life together and are doing well - I congratulate you on your sobriety.

Hopefully you will put up with some of my thoughts on what you want to do. I lost my beautiful brother to alcoholism this past August. He was 62 and had been living out of his car homeless and was found dead in the backseat. He had been a high up muckety-muck exec with an amazing office with one of the finest views of Manhattan I've ever seen. Lovely house in the 'burbs, beautiful family and he was an extraordinarily handsome man. He had been an alcoholic since age 14. As an adult he had managed to keep it under control. But, after a 3rd DUI, losing his license, plastic surgery on his face after a horrific drunk driving accident, over time, he lost it.

He lost his sobriety. After several rehabs, jails, hospitals and living out of his storage unit, he tried to sober up - many times.

Here's my point - you are young and probably still good looking and skilled enough to get hired again should you take off and live the lifestyle you envision. After its out of your system you can get another job and house. My point is - you will only get so many chances to start over - then you won't.

My brother started to sober up, he applied for many jobs and ended up working low wage retail. He would tell me employers were just ageist and discriminatory. He was angry he couldn't get back into his corporate field again. Finally I said, Steve, when you were young, employers saw a young man with promise. Now you are older and they see an old man with lots of health bills coming up. Alcoholics, male and female do not realize what a fifth or two of vodka a day (my bro's consumption, maybe a 3rd bottle and black out drunk) does to their looks. You can be 40 and look 70. No one wants to hire an old alky. Its a terrible position to be in, not being able to buy a house, even a small one, ever again. Life goes fast.

If you do decide to go, I hope you stay sober and realize your dream. Hopefully you will be able to start over again. It really sounds like you have things going really well right now. Is there anyway you can save your vacation time, or a leave of absence to satisfy your dream? I know lots of people who ship their bikes to where they want to go so they can have two or three weeks riding time on vacation.
I'm sorry for your loss. I'm definitely learning as I go. A couple of my friends and family have lost everything to their addictions. I'm fortunate to see them be a great example of how not to be. I will not let that happen to me.

Last edited by AliensilverFXDBI; 11-10-2018 at 12:38 PM.