General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any negotiating on 2019's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 12:27 PM
bridger1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any negotiating on 2019's?

Greetings! I sold my 2005 Heritage Classic in 2009 & haven't ridden since. Now , my wife & I would like to do some light touring since the kids are out of the house. We have decided on a new 2019 Road King.
Back in 2005 when I bought my HC new there was essentially no negotiation off MSRP, (due to supply & demand apparently), only miscellaneous fees like discounts on aftermarket exhaust, waiving of doc fees, etc.
So my question is ..Have things changed or not? IS there any wiggle room off MSRP ?(in your experience) I'm sure there would be on an '18, but I haven't been able to find an '18 RK in my area.
Local dealer is asking for a deposit on a '19 to "hold one for us" This, assumes there is NO negotiation once I plunk down $500.00
Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by bridger1; 11-11-2018 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-11-2018, 12:31 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They should be willing to negotiate, just like buying a car. All of my local dealers now have this "sales tower" in the showroom where the sales manager/closers sit. Just like in a car dealership. I've noticed dealers going to this type of model. As such, they should negotiate. Worse case scenario, if they don't, then don't buy from that dealer.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:40 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,661 Likes on 3,224 Posts

There's plenty of room to negotiate. And there's no way I'd put down a deposit to "hold one".

Harley's glory days are long gone and supply exceeds demand now. The large numbers of unsold '18 (and even '17) models are evidence of that.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:45 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Study the bike, write down what you want, and ask the dealer what their best OTD price is. Try this at a few dealers and see if you get a quote that you like.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:58 PM
TimmyPage
Road Captain
Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

Where do you live? If it's anywhere cold, they'll be hurting for sales over the next few months.

Asking a question like this over the internet won't really help you because all that matters is if your local dealership(s) negotiates and your negotiating skills.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:37 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,239 Likes on 11,124 Posts

Negotiating on non-necessary stuff like ATV's, boats, RV's and motorcycles is a bit different because no one needs these toys, they want these toys. Dealerships know this and they exploit your emotions that go with wanting a toy. Pay accordingly.

Last edited by upflying; 11-11-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:41 PM
Navyvette
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 68 Posts

Also remember that the ‘19 has the 114 available where the ‘18 is the 107. That’s the only difference I think. I just sold my 2018 RKS for 20k to a dealer here. Leftover new ‘18s are going for around 2-3k off sticker in Houston. I bought a new ‘18 last week for 3k off. The ‘19s were about 1k off depending on the model.

Last edited by Navyvette; 11-11-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:21 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

As time goes on you are going to see dealers drop prices steadily & good deals will be there for those who want them, My dealer has new 17`s that are in a different building just sitting there cause he can sell them - he is stubborn & trying stay firm on price, while in that building a guy threw out a number for a 17 heritage the teal & white - dealer says no way!!!! the guy walked...! I said well that bike will be here in the spring maybe you should have took the mans money.

I see some dealers trying to stand firm & others taking a pounding as the new stock rolls in & they still have a lot of the 18`s & some 17`s - these dealers will work with you big time you just got to find them.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:19 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,666 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
As time goes on you are going to see dealers drop prices steadily & good deals will be there for those who want them, My dealer has new 17`s that are in a different building just sitting there cause he can sell them - he is stubborn & trying stay firm on price, while in that building a guy threw out a number for a 17 heritage the teal & white - dealer says no way!!!! the guy walked...! I said well that bike will be here in the spring maybe you should have took the mans money.

I see some dealers trying to stand firm & others taking a pounding as the new stock rolls in & they still have a lot of the 18`s & some 17`s - these dealers will work with you big time you just got to find them.
The ones that won’t negotiate are the ones with tons of leftover inventory to begin with. No surprise he has a building full of them he’s unwilling to deal on. The bank will sell them cheap eventually.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:51 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Don’t rule out traveling out of state to purchase. Depending on distance, the selling dealer may be willing to deliver.

Im sure someone will come in here and tell you they paid 3k under invoice OTD. That’s never gonna happen.

Just decide what a good number for you is, then factor in taxes, freight and prep and other fees. Don’t focus on the monthly payment, focus on the otd price

Quick Reply: Any negotiating on 2019's?