General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Game of Thrones: Harley-Indian Rivalry Forges a Comeback

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 04:44 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 755 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Game of Thrones: Harley-Indian Rivalry Forges a Comeback

Game of Thrones: Harley-Indian Rivalry Forges a Comeback
By Bruce Montcombroux

Indian Motorcycle is set to grab a piece of the action from Harley-Davidson. But HD isn't going to let this go without a fight.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:21 PM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

This is the best time for a new motorcycle purchase. Healthy competition creates a better product for the end user, me. Time to roll up the sleeves and show the consumer what you are made of. New models, new engines, new frames, better customer service. Don't like what you see in one showroom, cross the street and check out the other side.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:28 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I agree. They will take some of the bike sales - but not all.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:32 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Looking at the Indian it appears they have a better cam chest.
It looks like one cam under each valve, .which would be way better than how HD is doing it.
Their geometry is so screwed up

Old 11-21-2018, 12:09 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

True. But it has been working all this time- so why change a good thing?

Old 11-21-2018, 12:47 PM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

I don’t understand why they didn’t use victory’s tech in the motor. The Vic 106 motor was a freakin monster, very easy to make power with but the Indian 111 is as anemic as Harley motors in stock form.

That said, as much as I like some of their rides, I couldn’t bring myself to buy one the way Polaris **** on its loyal victory customers.

The following users liked this post:
BuckKnuckle (11-28-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 01:00 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
True. But it has been working all this time- so why change a good thing?
I truth it works, but is a problem .

Old 11-21-2018, 01:08 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Maybe they merge and come out with a Hindian?

The following 3 users liked this post by kngpn:
Kingglide549 (11-21-2018), Oko (11-22-2018), Warrant (11-28-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 02:20 PM
Pablo94
Tourer
Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by slodsm
I don’t understand why they didn’t use victory’s tech in the motor. The Vic 106 motor was a freakin monster, very easy to make power with but the Indian 111 is as anemic as Harley motors in stock form.

That said, as much as I like some of their rides, I couldn’t bring myself to buy one the way Polaris **** on its loyal victory customers.
The 111 has better bottom end torque than the Freedom 106, but I could of used a few more in the horsepower department...

Old 11-21-2018, 04:35 PM
EPOCH6
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I own and ride both a 2018 Indian Scout Sixty and a 1981 Harley-Davidson Shovelhead. I love both bikes, I love both brands, and I plan to support both brands into the future. I have ridden 4 Indian and 11 Harley-Davidson models in the last year. I am a 25 year old "Millennial".

The things that I love about both brands are precisely what divides them. I love the modern Polaris resurrection of Indian firstly because I like the way their bikes ride and look. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly when discussing the future of these companies, the creative team behind the modern Indian resurrection (Rich Christoph, Ola Stenegard, Gary Gray, Roland Sands) is a genuine source of inspiration to me, I trust them, their talents are proven (especially when working together) and their vision for the future of the Indian brand is exciting, they exude the same optimism and excitement toward the future of motorcycling that I feel personally. I love the modern Harley-Davidsons because they haven't forgotten what made the Harley-Davidsons of yore exciting to ride and compelling to own. I know many of you older Harley-Davidson riders are likely to disagree with that but the things that draw me toward Harleys today are probably the same things that drew you yesterday. Even if the modern lineup has indeed been neutered by emissions and noise regulations, Harley-Davidsons are still a more visceral and aggressive ride than any other motorcycles on the market. They still sound the meanest, they still look the meanest, they still exude the same spirit of freedom and rock & roll, they still ride like tanks, just to a lesser degree than they did in the past (this is precisely why I prefer a 1981 Shovelhead over a 2018 Street Bob). Polaris' vision for the future of Indian and their understanding of what makes modern motorcycles great is why I love Indian, Harley's understanding of the past and what makes the primal motorcycles of the past great is why I love Harley. I can appreciate both, we can all appreciate both.

There is a ton of misconception out there surrounding the present day identity and future of the Indian brand. The nostalgia parade is over and the more you read in interviews with both Polaris executives and Indian's design team the closer you will come to this same conclusion, it was necessary to establish the resurrection and to demonstrate a commitment to original brand but that stage is being wrapped up as we speak. The Harley-Davidson vs. Indian Wars will no doubt continue in American Flat Track but they are coming to a close in the showrooms. Going forward it's Indian vs. The World and Harley-Davidson vs. The World. Both brands no longer have their sights set squarely on one another, they have turned their attention to the European manufacturers and to the general desires of my generation who may or may not have the majority of the purchasing power in the near future (that's another discussion entirely).

Last edited by EPOCH6; 11-21-2018 at 04:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by EPOCH6:
soldierbot (11-21-2018), Warrant (11-28-2018)

Quick Reply: Game of Thrones: Harley-Indian Rivalry Forges a Comeback