General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 16 SG CVO vs 19 SG Special
16 SG CVO
47.50%
19 SG Special
52.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

16 SG CVO vs. 19 SG Special

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 06:33 AM
Karim Maghrabia
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16 SG CVO vs. 19 SG Special

Hello all,
I'm getting my new ride and for the set budget, I'm between getting a very clean second hand 16 SG CVO (110 cu.in. Twin Cam) or a brand new 19 SG Special (114 cu.in. M8),
I know that somehow the base of comparison is missed :-) but would like to hear your opinions.
TC vs. M8, pre-upgraded suspension vs. post-upgraded suspension....etc.
TIA folks...Always ride, ride safe!

Old 12-18-2018, 07:00 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

I’m not a CVO guy but I like the 16 CVO SG. I like the Twin Cam over the M8 as well, probably because I know the twin cam and how to build one. You’ll see a million new SGS’s and the resale will take a beating like other HD’s. The CVO will do a little better on value. Another thing to consider, good or bad, the CVO SG is water cooled. That would be MY only downside to the CVO.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:43 AM
Karim Maghrabia
6th Gear

Thanks Mike. Fair enough. Do you have any comments regarding the engine vibration and heat dissipation (TC vs M8)? the touring models suspension upgrades starting from 17 models?

As long as you have a blacked-out SG, do u face any difficulties in cleaning it, maintaining it's condition without being faded and is it as durable as chrome parts?

Old 12-18-2018, 08:30 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,007 Likes on 2,000 Posts

I picked the cvo jyst because I'm a fan of cvo s...But the power potential of the m8 is undeniable...if that's what you're into .

Old 12-18-2018, 08:38 AM
Karim Maghrabia
6th Gear

What I am after is the engine vibration and heat dissipation (TC vs M8)?

Also, the suspension upgrades from 17 touring models onwards....is it touchable upgrading?

Dyno test results (both stock): 114 cu.in. M8 vs the 110 cu. in. TC was 1 hp diff and 12 ft.lbs torque but anyways, I'm not after power and acceleration in my final decision.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:05 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

i have driven ultra limited from 2014 so suspension issue may not be the same as SC.
i have found the Rushmore improvement 2014 and forward very dramatic in suspension my 2017 cvo suspension was better than past ultra but i don't know if it was new bike better or better suspension but i did notice the front end handled better
regarding the engine my m8 runs much cooler than previous engines and i don't have the weather forecast for Oman but it sounds like a hot sandy place! the engine vibration is night and day difference with the M8 being much smoooooooooooooother idle if u care about that.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:13 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Tough call IMHO. It all depends on the condition of the 16 CVO I guess, but one advantage being a few years old is that the worst of the depreciation will have hit, so you might retain better value going forward.

I had a 15 CVO SG and now have a 19 SGS (there was a dalliance with a BMW in the middle there that I don't like to talk about, I did not go straight from one to the other).

The new GTS Boom Box is nicer, better screen and significantly faster and more responsive. But the CVO has a better (louder) stereo. But the bag speakers take up room in the bag.
The M8 feels smoother and spins up faster to me than the 110 TC in my CVO. I only ever put an exhaust and a tune on the 110, I did a stage II on the 114 M8.
The CVO will come pretty well dolled up, if you like whats there, you'll probably invest more $$ into the 19. I liked the stock seat 2 piece seat on my 15.
The looks are the looks, I think the 15/16 CVOs had a nice blend of chrome and black, vs the fully blacked out look of the 19 SGSs.
For myself, I prefer to buy new and wanted the new GTS radio and M8 motor vs looking for a used TC CVO and was unwilling to pay 19 CVO prices.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:57 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Personally, I'd get the '16 CVO. IMHO (yes, I'm biased), 2016 was the very best year for the twin cams. Suspension differences between the '16 and a '19 - yes, the '19 is better, but honestly, to me, it is barely noticeable.

As mentioned, the 2016 CVO has already taken the biggest portion of it's depreciation hit.

Yes, the 2019 GTS radio is leaps and bounds better, cooler, etc. And while it would tempt me, the radio alone wouldn't be enough to break me.

At the end of the day, to ME, the biggest advantage of the '16 CVO to a '19 Special - I am a chrome *****. The murdered out / blacked out look just looks blah to me. THAT'S what would send me to the '16 more than any other difference.

YMMV.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:17 AM
Karim Maghrabia
6th Gear

That's awesome. Running cooler is very important to me as here in Oman, It's extremely hot (up to 50 deg, C) in summer and the bike is gonna be taken over to Egypt after so I care a lot about engine cooling. I had the 103 cu.in Ultra Limited Low which I just sold out and it was getting hot in this weather!
Vibration comes second and running smoother is another big plus!
Good to hear that u have a good experience with ur M8 engine :-) Touch Wood...Dunno, but looks like so much crying over the issues with the M8 engines

Old 12-18-2018, 10:34 AM
Karim Maghrabia
6th Gear

This is fairly a good comparison...To give you an overview about the 16 SG CVO condition; It's almost brand new one with only 400 miles on it and comes with the dealership warranty. Color is what pulls me towards this badass; black licorice with midnight cobalt flames...ITS VERY SEXY THOUGH.

Quick Reply: 16 SG CVO vs. 19 SG Special