General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 06:51 AM
assiniboine
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4,486 Likes on 2,789 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Asked the salesman what I would put on the check, got the checkbook out and started filling it in, and when I got to the number, salesman said wait, that doesn't include shipping and setup and the special wax job (yes, wax, I'll never forget that). He followed me out to my car trying to talk me into coming back... Some of them just can't do an honest deal, always want to slip something in after they hook you.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:55 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by sechracer
This at least made me appreciate going over the thread. May have to watch the movie. Again...

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (01-04-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 08:16 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
This at least made me appreciate going over the thread. May have to watch the movie. Again...
Supposedly the chest wax scene is real. He said it wouldn't be as funny if it was "mocked up"....

Old 12-31-2018, 09:01 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

Sales of motorcycles, or ANY vehicle, is a tough game. Salesmen are taught the name of the game is to put money in THEIR pocket which, of course, has to come out of YOUR pocket. Too many people, mostly younger people, who may lack the education/experience/training/skill sets/etc. to be otherwise successful and pull in a nice paycheck bite on the ads put up by vehicle dealers that often say "Make up to $75K yearly, paid medical and vacations, good working environment, experience helpful but not necessary, paid training program, yadi yadi yadi....". So, the person who hasn't yet found their niche in life may think, "Gee, I know you can't believe everything you hear or see, but, if I could make even half of that $75K number I would be doing much better than I am now so I'm gonna go see them." So, they get the job. First couple of months they stumble. A lot. And they are starting to realize that maybe their lack of experience and mostly unsuccessful BS sales talk is not going to pan out the way they had hoped. And by now management has told them, straight up, if they can't produce they will be leaving very soon.

I suspect the percentage of those who try selling vehicles and fail is pretty high. So, I'm appreciative of those in vehicle sales who can properly "size me up" after a very short conversation and realize they don't need to be speaking down to me or spewing BS. Answer my questions, maybe offer suggestions, and be fair. And if your dealership "insists" on charging for things I don't think they should be charging for (prep and document fees come to mind LOL) and you want more money, total, from me than I want to pay I'll be walking out, thanks anyway. But...., if the salesman was knowledgeable, fair, etc. I don't hold anything against them and, who knows, I may contact them again the future, or give their name out as someone who won't try to screw you, etc., etc.

So, if you deal with a vehicle salesman who has been there a long time I think you will do much better than dealing with a newbie who just got there and probably won't be there the next time you might visit that dealer. And if you can't work a good deal with a longtime sales person shop elsewhere. That's just the way it is.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (01-04-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 09:37 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Yeah I don't know where I messed the math up...

Yeah ... that makes a difference

But not much different than why other Threads have been started on here ... "Half Cocked"

Old 12-31-2018, 01:12 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Well I'll have all of you know that a pencil is a weapon of math destruction. lol

Old 12-31-2018, 01:19 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Ok the salesman just texted me and we got to chatting and I was looking at two different bikes a black one for 8,000.00 and a yellow one for 15,273 the numbers he gave me was for the yellow one, but he is figuring the black one for me right now.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:42 PM
Sierra Nate
Road Master
Received 642 Likes on 260 Posts

You just said you'd never finance a bike. Now you have him working up numbers for the black one?

Old 12-31-2018, 01:53 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Ok the salesman just texted me and we got to chatting and I was looking at two different bikes a black one for 8,000.00 and a yellow one for 15,273 the numbers he gave me was for the yellow one, but he is figuring the black one for me right now.
Well, thanks for providing an interesting story for us all, so we could hump your leg for a couple of days!!

Old 12-31-2018, 02:04 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by DandSPro
If the interest rate on anything is below what I’m making over all in investments I’ll finance it a short term loan.
Ex: motorcycle is financed at 3 1/2 percent my investments prior Oct 20th was bringing in an average of 9.5 percent average gain,
Another portfolio was bring in higher gains. So why not use other people’s money. It’s not easy, you have to stay on top if what’s going on.
If you don’t , you could loose more than think on both sides.
There you go ! A man who understands personal financial management.
And if you bike loan rate is at 3.5% your inflation adjusted rate is <1.5% - you repay the loan with inflated dollars. Inflation currently is 2% +/- annually.

Pouring money into a depreciating asset like a HD can be a very bad decision when one considers alternative uses (and returns) for the cash.
That depreciation will be extremely high on a NEW bike. Buying used can change the pain.

Quick Reply: Disappointed