General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The complexity and arduous feat that is to ride a motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
I`d ride her like a dog.
Ummm, you would have to. That's a dude!!!!

Old 01-04-2019, 10:46 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
LOL!

The other thing I wanted to do is cover most of the topics that were discussed in the forum throughout the year, as someone correctly guessed it. I did forget to include the jiffy down before getting off the bike, the audio system, the air temperature gauge, sumping, and some others that I can't think of at this moment. Oh, and as for cutting the post into small paragraphs, it helps on mobile devices as the screen is smaller and it also helps the brain to process the previous paragraph better when it is given a break in between, something I learned from a previous girlfriend who just wouldn't shut up.

Yes, you hit almost all of the fun controversial posts on here.

But, while you were on that first ride, did you wave to the other riders on the road? Did you wave only to Harley riders? Or anyone on a motorcycle? Maybe you just waved to those on cruisers and not those crotch rocket power rangers? What about three wheels? Did you wave with three fingers down instead of two? And what about scooters and bicycles?

Fun read!

Old 01-04-2019, 02:15 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Waving... most of my life ago, if you were on two wheels, you gave a raised hand wave and didn't care what the other guy was riding. Now... well, guess I'm old school, I wave to scooter girls from my Harley. Fun to see how scared some of them look when I do that. When I'm on my scooter, I like to wave like a maniac to Harley riders, it obviously makes them happy the way they laugh.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:29 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,409 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
LOL!

I threw in that photo to make up for the time you wasted reading the post. The idea of the post came from me teaching my daughter to ride earlier in the year. Things that seem second nature to me where hard for her to understand until it dawned on me that it was not her, it was me that I wasn't explaining it right because I was assuming that everyone knew about it.
And this is precisely why you would want your daughter to enroll in a motorcycle training class.
In fact, make it fun. Make it a "father/daughter" activity. Once she starts to "get it," then you can add anecdotes along her learning curve. Trust me, you'd want to be there to correct if she goes astray. Reign her back in as she acquires "over confidence."
Having confidence is a good thing.
Having over confidence can be a bad thing.
You know the difference, she does not.
Ride safe!

Old 01-04-2019, 02:40 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

My daughter took a training class, and after our first ride together on the street, said she learned more on the ride with me than in the class. Doesn't mean I'm good or the class is bad, just a big transition from parking lot to street. And a 250cc Suzuki to an 883 Harley, she enjoyed a throttle that does something (883 doesn't pull much to me, but hey, coming from a 250... ).

Old 01-04-2019, 03:20 PM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

Imagine something that started out as a bicycle with wooden wheels has become so iconic, a right of passage to some, a simple mode of transport to others.
To the mechanical mind it brings joy, to the inept it brings wonder, to the diehards it is religion

Last edited by Warrant; 01-04-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
SBRob (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 03:45 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,578 Likes on 3,825 Posts

I did not waste time reading all that but is that you on the blue bike?

Old 01-04-2019, 03:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,017 Likes on 17,512 Posts

Originally Posted by Warrant
Imagine something that started out as a bicycle with wooden wheels has become so iconic, a right of passage to some, a simple mode of transport to others.
To the mechanical mind it brings joy, to the inept it brings wonder, to the diehards it is religion
Well said...

Old 01-04-2019, 03:50 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,622 Likes on 9,825 Posts

OP, you forgot: "There's a Dump truck following dangerously close, should I stab it, shoot it, or just smack it with my "get back whip, oooh, I know , I'll throw my gremlin bell at it"....:

Last edited by Super Glidester; 01-04-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:07 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,019 Likes on 2,822 Posts

No way I'd go through all the stuff just to ride.

I dress in whatever I grab from the closet first, open the petcock, pull up the enrichener, push the ON button, push the START button, enrichener to 1/2, then off, let idle while I put on gloves and off we go.

I never lock the bike and no one has ever tried to steal it. If it's parked in public it's always within sight and when it's at home good luck getting at it.

Quick Reply: The complexity and arduous feat that is to ride a motorcycle