General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Me and My Millennial

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Old Sport
Club Member

Received 1,361 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
Be proud, papa! Be very proud. Not because he rides with you, not because he wants a Sportster......be proud because he sounds like a wonderful, well raised, level headed young man! Rare these days........Thank him especially for his service. God bless him and all our troops.
Most definitely!

Originally Posted by Het
You should be proud. All of the millenials where I work think they get paid a premium wage to smoke dope and be on their phones all day. They think it's their right to do so.
I hear ya. Thankfully both kids have managed to steer-clear of addictions and life-impacting bad habits. My guy has had a "man-bun" for a while and he still spends w-a-a-a-a-y too much time on his phone for my likes, but I recognize it's just a sign of the times. If you get past the stereotypical expectation of this generation you find there's a lot more underneath it all. Not all, but there's hope.

Truth be told, I don't think it's really any different from when I was young, or the generation before, etc...

The following users liked this post:
Carl '69 (06-03-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:53 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,668 Likes on 1,669 Posts
Default My Millennial

Please thank your son for his service to our country. Thank you for raising him with the values and respect to make him want to serve. When he gets his new Harley make sure you go for a ride together. I wanted so much to ride with my dad before he passed,but do to his illness we never got the chance.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Het
Banned
Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
unfortunately that is about spot on with so many of the younger generation. many go to college for one of the many useless degrees and then can not figure why nobody will pay them a six digit annual salary for it, all when there are so many well paying trade jobs out there but they are afraid to get dirt on their hands.
Check this one out. Our company bought out our ESOP program this year. We had four or five 'millenials' that started with us last April. They worked, if you want to call what they did work, (see above comment), from April to Thanksgiving, and made approximately $65K. They were given a full share of stock when we were bought out. A share was valued at $18,000 and change. They, (the millenials), claimed that was bullshit, because they had heard that other long time employees were receiving in excess of $100K. They couldn't comprehend that the longer you worked, the more $$$$ you received, lol. What maroons!!!! I explained to them that even though they received much more than they earned throughout the season, getting this windfall added another, on average, $700+ a week to what they already earned, and I hate to use the term 'earned'. They didn't want to hear it. In their minds, even though they were on their phones all day, listened to their Ipods all day, and got carried by other workers, myself included, they should all be making LeBron James kinda money. You should have seen their faces after I explained to them that they will owe 10% of that money for a penalty, another 27% to the Feds, another 5% to the state, then another percentage to the city they live in. It was priceless.

Bama Lee (06-03-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 08:04 PM
b bop n bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Het
Check this one out. Our company bought out our ESOP program this year. We had four or five 'millenials' that started with us last April. They worked, if you want to call what they did work, (see above comment), from April to Thanksgiving, and made approximately $65K. They were given a full share of stock when we were bought out. A share was valued at $18,000 and change. They, (the millenials), claimed that was bullshit, because they had heard that other long time employees were receiving in excess of $100K. They couldn't comprehend that the longer you worked, the more $$$$ you received, lol. What maroons!!!! I explained to them that even though they received much more than they earned throughout the season, getting this windfall added another, on average, $700+ a week to what they already earned, and I hate to use the term 'earned'. They didn't want to hear it. In their minds, even though they were on their phones all day, listened to their Ipods all day, and got carried by other workers, myself included, they should all be making LeBron James kinda money. You should have seen their faces after I explained to them that they will owe 10% of that money for a penalty, another 27% to the Feds, another 5% to the state, then another percentage to the city they live in. It was priceless.
That's what I like to call a "reality check".

Bama Lee (06-03-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 04:14 PM
et998
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Props for the thread title. I don't have a millennial. I work with them though. I am glad you found a common thread. I bet you are too. You got a son and a riding buddy.
It doesn't get better than that. You know that and thanks for sharing. As stated earlier, there is hope.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:15 PM
Old Sport
Club Member

Originally Posted by et998
Props for the thread title. I don't have a millennial. I work with them though. I am glad you found a common thread. I bet you are too. You got a son and a riding buddy.
It doesn't get better than that. You know that and thanks for sharing. As stated earlier, there is hope.
I am definitely a proud and lucky papa! I put this out there primarily to get folks thinking about giving this younger generation a chance. They may be few and far between, but there are definitely a few good eggs out there... Would love to hear more about the positive examples.

A bit of support and mentoring can make a wold of difference, but we've got to be willing to provide or at least be open to the opportunity.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:50 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Few things... Im also in state and Im friendly with the guys at Williams HD (They also own Garden State HD), I love the dealer and I know they treat military real good. Mike who is one of the main guys I believe was also USMC. If you and your son ever make your way to New Hope, I'd like to buy the 1st round. For your son because a soldier should never have a tab and for you sir because you raised fine boys.

Regards
Kebo (son of a Navy vet)..

soldierbot (08-27-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:11 PM
Old Sport
Club Member

Much appreciated Kebo. Been swinging through New Hope /Lambertville for many, many years. Will look you up when next headed that way!

Old 01-12-2019, 11:04 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

My daughter got her motorcycle license when she was in college. She liked taking rides on my Harley, but when it came time to buy her own bike, she wound up with a Ducati Monster. She liked the sight and sound of Harleys but not the cost and weight. She also didn't like the Harley image (old guys dressed like pirates, loud pipes). Not sure where this came from--I don't roll like this. Perhaps she watched too much Sons of Anarchy.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:18 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

This speaks volumes !! Good job "Old Sport"

The following 4 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
6 gun (06-03-2019), Bama Lee (06-03-2019), hvacgaspiping (06-03-2019), millzog (06-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Me and My Millennial