General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide --OR-- Road King Special For Winter Highway Riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 08:45 PM
thexravenx
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Road Glide --OR-- Road King Special For Winter Highway Riding

Been asked a lot, I know because I’ve read as many posts as I could…. However, I can’t quite find the answer. It’s new bike time. I’m split between a Road Glide or Road King Special.

Problem:
I love the way the RKS looks but I don’t think it will do as good of a job as a Road Glide in the colder times especially at highway speeds. Am I wrong? The Road Glide rides great but makes me feel disconnected and I don’t want the weight of the extras.

Background:
I’m in Western Michigan, but I have lived in Harrisonburg, Va, Washington DC, and Austin, Tx. I’ve ridden in 110 degree heat and 25 degree cold. I’ve owned 7 M/Cs in my life: Suzuki Katana 750, Honda Shadow Spirit, Honda Nighthawk, Honda CBR600F4i, Harley Dyna Glide x2, and Harley Electra Glide (which I stripped down to a Street Glide)

I’ve had Standard Tour QD windshields in VA & DC. I had a National Cycle Gladiator on the Dyna and 7” Windvest on the Electra Glide.

Current Situation:
As I’m in W.Mi. I have very little access to curvy roads but lots of highways. I’ll be riding in temps ranging from 95 to 35. 90% of the riding will be over 55mph and most will be at 65—80mph. Trips will range from 150miles to visit in-laws to 300miles overnighters to the UP. I will also be biker-vloging. Lastly, full face 100% of the time.

Things I've Considered:
I love the look of the Road King Special and would probably put a Windvest on it for Summer riding….. But then I remember it’s all highway riding.
I’ve looked at the at the Bob Dron fairing and maybe even a taller windshield from bikescreen.com But I can’t find any dimensions for stock to compare.
I’ve looked at the Memphis Shades Road Warrior, but I’ve heard mix reviews.
I’ve looked at the Wind Splitter, Clearshields, Glide Pro, Rifle Cruise Tour, JD Custom FXRT, and RWD FXRT. I’ve looked at lots of options, but I can’t seem to find one I believe will give the a great look & still handle the riding here on the RKS.

I know the Road Glide will handle the highway and winter. But I don’t need nor want the infotainment system. Fairing bikes also make me feel disconnected, but man do they work well for highway cruising. QD Batwing Fairing is out because of the same concerns I have for the Road Glide.

Questions:
1: Anyone have the dimensions of the Bob Dron? How is it on the highway? Has anyone tried the 13” windshield?
2: Anyone gone with the Road Warrior and rode in Winter Temps? Vented? Hand Guards?
3: Anyone tried the Windvest on the highway? Could you do a 300 miles ride?
4: Am I just at that point where I get the fairing? Seems like a lot of folks just end up there (seeing old posts about RK but then signatures have SG or RG in them.)

Old 01-06-2019, 06:24 AM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

Fixed fairing bike will always be more stable and provide more wind protection than any other options. You can put a fairing in a road king, they are great bikes. Had a 13 CVO King. But nothing chews miles like the road glide.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:25 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Why not a standard Road King? Sounds like it would be the best solution for your need and it comes with the quick release windshield. It also costs less than the Road Kind Special. I am like you, I don't want all the extra gadgets up front and I love being able to pop the windshield off when the weather warms up and ride naked. I test rode both and went with the standard so I am a bit biased.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:29 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 528 Posts

First off, crazy that you signed up in 2007 and this your first post. Welcome!

Both the RKS and the RGs are excellent cruising/touring bikes. (As well as batwing fairings) But I will say that I knew the "secret" a long, long time ago when most said they would never be seen on them.

Fast forward to today......Every Where you look you see Road Glides.

Others will chime in, but nothing eats up and rips the concrete jungle like a Road Glide.

JMHO,

YB

Old 01-06-2019, 06:32 AM
DeputyDawg
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Road King + a snow mobile suit for those cold days!

Old 01-06-2019, 06:35 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,657 Likes on 5,192 Posts

Extra weight on a RG is meaningless. More you ride the more you will be happy with RG faring. And when you get tired of the not having a place to put gear adding a tour pack to the RG will go easy. New RG vented faring allow all the air flow you need.
I will catch hell for this but RK is a weekend bar hopper, a short ride to work daily in good weather. There are a few exceptions but look around.

Last edited by smitty901; 01-06-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:46 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I currently have both bikes although they are 16 years apart in age. The Road Glide gets ridden a whole lot more for many reasons and I suspect the fixed fairing being the biggest reason. Most of my riding is in the twisty mountain roads but do get on the highways when it is deemed necessary.

For the Road King I have a detachable shield as well as a detachable fairing and both bikes have a detachable tour pack. The Road King is a great all around fun bike and I have a very strong attachment to it, hence keeping it for so long.

In short, we can tell you this bike or that bike but it comes down to what works for you.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:52 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

The fact I don’t like to ride any bike with a fairing aside. To a man, every RG owner I’ve ever met has said they would own nothing else.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Vonswanko
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a RKS with a FXRT fairing on it. Handles the cold weather great and eats up the highway. For the summer I will just pop it off and put either a chopped windshield or a Road Warrior fairing on it. Best of both worlds.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:23 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

IMO A Road Glide standard would do everything you want/need without issue. The standard model comes with a lower level infotainment system, which you can just turn off if you don't want to use it. Add docking hardware for a removable tour-pak for longer rides, and either hard removable or elephant ears lowers for cold weather and you're set. You'd be surprised how "stripped down" the the standard model is, it feels very tidy compared to an ultra.

Quick Reply: Road Glide --OR-- Road King Special For Winter Highway Riding