General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nullify Fines for loud mufflers: AB 1824 in California. Your Support is Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:30 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Coming to a democRAT run state by you soon...

Old 01-11-2019, 08:06 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Pablo94
The regulations are not clear and this rule gives the LEO carte blanche reason to pull you over for no reason. The true focus is on the whistler pipes and street racers or so they say, but it only takes one small town sheriff to decide to pull groups of bikes over and ticket them for pipes without any other reason to pull them over. Or too sit outside events and tag everyone.

It is an over reach and seriously a 1000.00 is steep. For years, this was a simple fix it ticket.

I am not advocating for loud pipes, but for better written rules. What if I am out riding my 1946EL. That bike is pretty loud since the pipes are simply pipes; not mufflers. And what about my 2001 EVO with a basic aftermarket pipe. They used to pull you over on certain roads in CA back in the early 2000s and ticket you for pipes. And it was a fix it ticket, but you could spend two hours waiting in line at the top of hgwy 9 and 35 as they would set up the sting and pull everyone over into a line at the stop sign. Took forever too and would ruin your day if you were in row of 75 bikes. Simply, not fun. Back then the word simply got out and folks quit riding those scenic areas. After a time, the local eateries and pubs bitched up a storm and they stopped harassing motorcycles.

For those in other states you could be next. Think about that.

And what if this was a helmet law discussion. What would your reaction be then...
Well first off your 1946 EL has to meet pre 1970 noise requirements .

Second, the governor signed a law in 2012 banning motorcycle only checkpoints in California (VC 2814.1.(d).

Third, the actual fine for a first offense on the 16 year old noise law is $25.00.

Fourth, The law itself has not changed. It's been in place since 2003. Just the penalty has changed.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:47 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Dance the dance Cali peasants. Obey your masters.
if your location is really Saba, you don’t get much riding in. So, go suck a conch shell.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:28 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 658 Posts

1. Dont be a ******* with the throttle.
2. Stop voting in liberals and making them try to assume your gender and being offensive.

The following users liked this post:
Cozz (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:08 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

We shall see how much of an effect that this law has. Too early to tell currently.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:19 AM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
You get what you vote for, if you vote.
Couldnt be more true. Lots of idiot voters there

The following 2 users liked this post by Arseclown:
Cozz (01-12-2019), OldMike (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 01:40 AM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by upflying
Couple of issues raised in this thread:
what does 80 dba sound like?
how does a leo issue a loud exhaust ticket without measuring the noise?
if you get a noise ticket, contest it. The leo may not show up for court, case dismissed.
If the officer does show up, ask how the officer scientifically measured the noise you are accused of. Case should be dismissed without proof.
If you are found guilty, you can negotiate a lower fine and longer time and payments to pay. Just ask the judge.
if you are too poor to pay a fine in California, you can ask to do volunteer work. Just ask the judge.
People who didn't pay traffic fines in California received an automatic drivers lcense suspension. Not anymore.
If you receive a California income tax refund, your unpaid traffic ticket fine will be deducted out of the refund
California LEO's always had the option of issuing a non-correctible (or non-fixit ticket) mechanical violation ticket in Ca.

The last time I told a judge I couldn't afford the ticket and asked if he could make other arrangements,
He offered to give me (and I quote) " Hard Time" in lieu of cash.
It was 35 years ago and the ticket was $485. ,I found the money after all!!!

Old 01-12-2019, 08:32 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,236 Likes on 11,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadflyer
The last time I told a judge I couldn't afford the ticket and asked if he could make other arrangements,
He offered to give me (and I quote) " Hard Time" in lieu of cash.
It was 35 years ago and the ticket was $485. ,I found the money after all!!!
Interesting how Canadian traffic law can punish you with jail time. California law identifies traffic offenses as infractions, only punishable with fines. Back in the day, I was in traffic court 3 times a week. I heard it all.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:52 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

Isn't California great??? It's perfectly legal and acceptable to change your gender but God forbid you change out your muffler.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:18 AM
Indawynd
Elite HDF Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 2,749 Posts

And we have the winner!!

Quick Reply: Nullify Fines for loud mufflers: AB 1824 in California. Your Support is Needed