General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Let Others ON Your Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 04:52 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
It's only a bike. Relax. <-- This or something similar to it has been said a few times above.

Maybe it is the curiosity in me, but I sure would like to see a doctoral thesis done on this matter.

Why some riders are very clear NO ONE but themselves ride their bike and others are fine with anyone riding their bike. And of course, everything else in between.

There is no judgement here. Just an observation. Of course there is no right or wrong.
I'm one of the people who says it's OK for others to ride my bike. I never said "anyone" can ride my bike, I'm selective about it. Someone that I know, trust, and respect as a rider can ride my bike, not "anyone."

And if I lend it out, I know that if he crashes it, I'm the one who loaned it out, so it's my problem. I'd feel badly if he hurt himself but I wouldn't be pissed off at him. I made the decision. And once again, it's a machine. That being said, I know a few people who I'm totally happy to let ride.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:55 AM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I have more toes on my only foot than there are people I'd let ride my bike.
Sitting on her isn't as big a deal... depending on the purpose.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:16 AM
Squidbilly*
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

I let my BIL ride the Shovel once&I rode his Yamaha striker,
Was a decent bike,
Wouldn't trade my Shovel for it though,

Mainly wanted to see for myself what my bike sounded like&if it smoked when I was behind him,

Other than that nobody rides my ****,

Old 08-23-2019, 02:05 PM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,436 Likes on 4,132 Posts

lol....sorry....wrong thread

Last edited by CaffeineBuzz; 08-23-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:32 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,810 Likes on 6,220 Posts

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
those little guys look delicious....made some amazing buffalo chili once.....tastes like beef
???
Starting the weekend early, are we?

Old 08-23-2019, 02:45 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,246 Likes on 5,408 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Its only a bike.
Correct answer...

Old 08-23-2019, 02:53 PM
coolbreezy
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I let one of my friends (who is a decent rider) ride my bike once. My wife wants to ride my bike, but she just got comfortable on her sporty. I'll give her another year before she hops on the fatboy.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:53 PM
assiniboine
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4,432 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Only if I can ride their desirable wife!

Old 08-23-2019, 02:59 PM
FinallyRiding
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I have only let 1 other person ride one of my bikes it was out of necessity. I do have a few friends that if they ask I would agree to it. We did have an similar experience as Hammerhead Pat in Miami a tour bus pulled into a gas station and immediately surrounded the 5 bikes in our group asking if they could take pictures we assumed of the bikes no they wanted pictures of us and the bikes and them with us, them and the bikes. A buddy of mine also had a German family approach him on Trailridge road in Colorado, he was stationed in Germany for many, many years and spoke to her in German she finally had the courage to ask for a ride his wife said get on have fun just come back for me. lol It is amazing how the bikes seem to make you more approachable for tourist. I have allowed kids to sit on my bike with parents permission and instructions on what not to touch.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:28 PM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,820 Likes on 6,369 Posts

My uncle has ridden mine a few times while his was in the shop. His 99 Heritage Springer was bought new and he's got about 180,000 miles on it so I think he knows what he's doing.

Far as people sitting on it? Few close friends and one or two people at the job. Always after it's been sitting and cooled off a bit. I watch the kickstand and tell them to keep their feet planted, and I'm usually standing with the front tire between my knees and hands on the bars to stabilize it for them just in case. And no it's not just for the bikes sake. I teach shooting, always start people off on .22's to ease them in and not scare them with heavy recoil or too much bang. Same thing with bikes, hate to think the reason someone didn't get into it was because "I was on a friends and I dropped it and broke all sorts of stuff, now I'm scared of them"

One guy I didn't much care for at work wanted to take it for a ride, told him it was fine, just a quick trip up to legal to draw up some paperwork saying if he dropped it he'd be buying me a brand new one.

He laughed, I didn't. We don't talk much anymore so it was a win/win in the end.

Last edited by MilsurpShooter; 08-23-2019 at 03:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (08-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Do You Let Others ON Your Bike?