General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good zipper boots recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 07:33 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default Good zipper boots recommendation

I picked up a set of “Speed and Strength Cruise Missile Boots” from Revzilla on close out a couple of years ago, and while they were kinda inexpensive (only about $100), I love them. Good leather, solid enough, but the best part is a zipper down the inboard side for ease of donning and removal. Unfortunately they are discontinued, and I can’t find any in my Sasquatch size 13...

After a couple of hard years, they are showing some wear, mostly around the sewing - perhaps indicating not the best manufacturering quality, or maybe I’m just unlucky. I can see if they can be repaired, or just replace them.

So im looking for recommendations on a good quality above ankle (I don’t want **** Jack boot height) boots that zip.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 01-12-2019, 07:59 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I don't usually go with Harley branded gear, but their FXRG-3 boots are fantastic. Might not be the style you're after though, and they're not cheap.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,457 Likes on 1,694 Posts

A couple years ago I bought a pair of Belleville's. I like them even more than I had expected I would. Easy on and off and very comfortable.

https://www.bellevilleboot.com/shop/...t_detail&p=120

Old 01-12-2019, 09:35 AM
JCDLXSEIA
Cruiser
Received 150 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Z1R Riot boots

I've had these for at least 5 years now.

https://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/...ea09086aa02045

Decent quality and have held up well.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:06 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

I'm not endorsing most HD clothing/apparel items as I refuse to pay the inflated prices for the sometimes cheap *** quality items they market with HD logos, emblems, etc. But, I think it was about 6+ years ago when I was looking for boots that zipped. Don't wanna mess with no stinkin' laces. At a HD dealer I tried on a pair of their boots--think they call them "Brake Light" boots. Standard (6"?) boot height and has 2 pretty heavy duty zippers in front, one alongside each side of the "tongue". I have had problems lots of times over the years getting shoes to fit good as my foot size is 9 1/2 E. And I had already tried on numerous boots at a Cycle Gear outlet--everything too dang narrow for me. The HD boots I tried on were 9 1/2 regular width. Fit me perfectly! Very comfortable! I bought them, think they were $175. Now once I got them home I had to remove several metal HD emblems as they went a bit overboard with that stuff for my tastes. Also cut off the "decorative laces" running up & down the tongue area where, normally, regular laces would be--these laces serve no purpose whatsoever, just decorative and I don't like them. And there was a loop at the top rear of each boot--I guess that might be to assist you in pulling the boots on--but I don't need them and also I thought they might keep my jeans from going all the way down when I stood up so I cut those off as well. The salesgirl told me the boots were also available in "wide" but, obviously, they run somewhat wide anyway cause my E width feet were very comfortable in the standard width.

Sometime this past riding season I noticed that the thick, lug type soles were beginning to separate from the rest of the boot. Was happening on both boots. Wasn't too bad at first, I squeezed a little super glue in and put them on and stood still for a couple of minutes wanting to be sure the glue would hold. That worked for a while, but not long. So, the super glue failed and the sole separation was getting worse. I then tried Gorilla Glue. That seemed to work a lot better than super glue and I thought I had found the fix. Of course, my wife told me too late about how Gorilla Glue expands so later, even thought I thought they were glued on pretty good the Gorilla Glue had oozed out somewhat and dried hard around the boots where the sole meets the boot. OK, I'll deal with getting that off later.

Wasn't too much later I realized the Gorilla glue did work better than super glue but the Gorilla Glue was also failing. So, even though I have had these boots for going on 7 years they are mostly used for riding and the soles are hardly worn and the rest of the boots are still in great shape. Dropped them off at a shoe/boot place this past Tuesday, will pick them up this coming Tuesday. $20 to fix. In talking to the old guy who owns the place he told me my sole separation problem was pretty common regardless of brand so I won't bash HD quality on this item.

I have been very pleased with these boots and wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair of them whenever these need replacing. But, next time I'm gonna try on another pair at a local dealer just to make sure their fitment hasn't changed and then I will buy them from one of the HD dealers that discounts on the Internet.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

HD has a couple of choices that are similar to your harness half boot you have now. I do NOT own any HD boots so I can`t say how bad or good they are but they are like the ones you own now.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...s-9863219vm--1

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...rformance-boot

Old 01-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Het
Banned
Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts
Old 01-12-2019, 02:45 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,249 Likes on 6,009 Posts

I have several pair of red wing boots... we have shoe truck that comes into shop each year and the company would pay $80 towards a new pair... so I would buy a new pair each year. The red wings are great in my book.... you should be able to locate a dealer in your area.....

Old 01-12-2019, 04:09 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

I wear a set of Danner Stryker boots that are all leather and have side zippers. I like them a lot.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:50 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

5.11 Tactical boots.

Quick Reply: Good zipper boots recommendation